Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 07:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed a Type 2 diabetic a year and a half ago when I went into the hospital after breaking my knee. My blood sugar was very high, so I was put on a high dose of insulin while in the hospital dealing with major issues, and then a small amount of basal insulin for long term. After I got out of the hospital I was underweight due to surgery and also dehydration so I was happy at first to be gaining it back

Unfortunately, the insulin has caused a huge (for me) amount of weight gain, and everything I have ever read about it and including my doctor, says insulin is responsible for weight gain. I am now 20 pounds past the weight I had been maintaining for years prior to the insulin injections.

I am not overweight, my doctor considers me at a healthy BMI, and I don't really look overweight to anyone; however it is alarming because it seems so uncontrollable. It just creeps up pound by pound no matter what I do. I don't eat sweets or junk, have cut back on portions and increased my exercise but nothing seems to work. Will the weight gain eventually stop at a certain point? Does anyone out there experience this? If so, what did you do?

I apparently need the insulin, I have tried cutting back but my #'s get out of control when I do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 01:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Weight gain in type two diabetics with insulin is not uncommon. In some it becomes a vicious cycle where the increased insulin makes the weight go up and then the increased weight results in requiring more insulin, and is one of the reasons why if you can get the numbers under control without having insulin it is better. That said, if your numbers cannot be gotten under control with medication and weight loss using insulin is much healthier than sky high blood sugar levels. If you are what is sometimes considered a type 1.5 diabetic, a type II Diabetic where your body is producing some insulin but slowly producing less and less on its own, there really isn’t way to avoid using insulin.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Weight gain in type two diabetics with insulin is not uncommon. In some it becomes a vicious cycle where the increased insulin makes the weight go up and then the increased weight results in requiring more insulin, and is one of the reasons why if you can get the numbers under control without having insulin it is better. That said, if your numbers cannot be gotten under control with medication and weight loss using insulin is much healthier than sky high blood sugar levels. If you are what is sometimes considered a type 1.5 diabetic, a type II Diabetic where your body is producing some insulin but slowly producing less and less on its own, there really isn’t way to avoid using insulin.
I am suspecting that I may actually be a 1.5 type diabetic. I am going to ask my doctor for further testing. Diabetes does run in my family, and again I have never been overweight and have always been active. But I am now 74, and I am thinking I may just not be producing enough insulin on my own.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:48 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,085 times
My friend had weight gain from insulin. Went on Jardiance and lost weight after Jardiance and doesnt need as much insulin (if any) because the Jardiance is doing well keeping blood sugar in normal range.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
My friend had weight gain from insulin. Went on Jardiance and lost weight after Jardiance and doesnt need as much insulin (if any) because the Jardiance is doing well keeping blood sugar in normal range.
How does Jardiance work?

Old 04-06-2024, 08:44 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
How does Jardiance work?
My A1C dropped to a little over 7 (was over 8) and I lost 65 pounds with Jardience.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:38 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,653,675 times
If your doctor is not an Endocrinologist, find and go to one. Discuss your concerns. There are a lot of different anti-diabetic meds available, some used in combination. An Endo will, or at least is expected to be, current on all that's available as well as the recent research.

Don't decide on a certain medication...let the Endo make recommendations based on your blood work and history.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:02 AM

106,625 posts, read 108,773,903 times
i am on trulicity and lost 30lbs , which i didn’t want to lose

Old Today, 06:23 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
The known side effect of insulin is weight gain. Along with possible hypoglycemia.

Cutting back on carbs helps mitigate the weight gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes