Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 04:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 794,193 times

Advertisements

Are these the beginnings Diabetic symptoms.

I have an experience I'd like to pass on about beginnings of foot and leg numbness that I have had and it has recently gone away.

My experience with Diabetes goes back many years. My wife and I have cared for a family member who is a Type 1 diabetic for many years. I also had co_workers who were career drivers who lost their legs and lives to the disease and a preteen niece recently diagnosed as type 1. I'm aware of the many details of what contributes to both type 2 and type 1 diabetes as in diet, exercise, stress, rest, etc.

Let me also say I have no medical training, although I have read many books on the subject and followed the technical advances and medical trials for 30 plus years.

I have never promoted or endorsed any medical product, medicine, supplement ever. I have posted links on my diabetic website to a movie called, (Sugar the bitter truth) which I think some people in this blog are familiar with.

This post is about an exercise experience I have had and it having a positive effect on my feet and legs and lower back. I'm in my mid_seventies and I have known folks in that age group that have had leg and foot numbness so it not uncommon. In my case, I've been been fortunate.

Recently I had a salesman stop by the house and after his pitch, I explained that the service he was promoting was done by me out of economic necessity. If you own a house you understand what I meant, by your own do it yourself experience.

So here's the important part. The salesman and I shake hands and he takes off on a hover board to the home of his next prospect.

Now I'm thinking about this salesman and his hover board which he called a Segway when I asked him about it. The hover board he had did not have an upright handle so I was thinking it would take some skill to balance while going down the road.

Many people are limited to a sit down under desk cycle exerciser because of joint pain, limited mobility or many other reasons. (Don't try this at home) However I have an under desk cycle exerciser collecting dust because of the joint pain we felt when my wife and I used it. Still I had to try this under desk exerciser in the standing position to see if we could regain it as a useful piece of exercise equipment. As a stand alone it was built without a handle and although on it's website their is a woman demonstrating it's use as a stand_up exerciser I would not use it to peddle standing_up without a stable handle support for balance.

As it turned out for me, it took some getting use to in the standing position but exercising on the under desk cycle that way was using muscles that are used on ladder climbing, stair climbing, or hill climbing without all the joint stress. (I spent many years on ladders on the job as an electrician)

For my wife it would never do because of the balance required and I would not even suggest her trying with the danger of falling being part of using this cycle while standing up. It was too bad because in a few minutes I realized the potential of this under desk exerciser with the way my feet, legs and lower back felt after having used it for just a few minutes.

This thing needs a handle I thought to myself and the rest is history. I moved the cycle exerciser next to a chair back to use as a handle which proved the point and it worked, physically easy, low joint impact and in a week in our house it has proven it's worth.

From there I moved the under desk cycle exerciser and adjoined it to another piece of exercise equipment that has a better handle than the chair so my wife had a good gripping handle which was at a comfortable height. I'm hoping I am the only person on the planet who did not know about this exercise method until recently and every who can benefit from this technique has been doing it for years.

This is not an instruction or recommendation, it is an account of how a conversation with a salesman that has become a few minute exercise routine multiple times a day which is easy, stress free on our joints, and produced positive results.

I understand, nothing is that easy but what I am saying is true and I Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Are these the beginnings Diabetic symptoms.-under-desk-cycle-chair-handle.jpg   Are these the beginnings Diabetic symptoms.-underdesk-exerciser-better-hand-support.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 08:25 PM

17,569 posts, read 39,232,915 times
So you are standing up and pedaling?

I am unclear exactly what this has done for you: are you saying it helped with numbness? Or other diabetic symptoms?

I am diabetic and also broke my knee a year ago. I ride a recumbent stationary bike and go for long walks, but this looks like something interesting to add to my regimen, I need to build up my quads on my bad leg to help regain ROM.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:05 AM

Default Overall my legs are feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So you are standing up and pedaling?

I am unclear exactly what this has done for you: are you saying it helped with numbness? Or other diabetic symptoms?

I am diabetic and also broke my knee a year ago. I ride a recumbent stationary bike and go for long walks, but this looks like something interesting to add to my regimen, I need to build up my quads on my bad leg to help regain ROM.

I'm not diabetic nor is my wife as stated. The feeling I described in my legs are could very well be due to lack of exercise or too much exercise rather than diabetes that is why I asked. As mentioned I can only tell you of my experience not my expertise and standing up on this mini pedal exerciser is easier on my knee which has its own weak points. I can also see from a movie I sent my son of my wife using the stand up pedal exerciser that the range of motion of her knee's is quit a bit less than a conventional bike or stationary exercise bike which I use regularly. Sending the movie of my wife using the under-desk exercise-cycle in the stand-up position to my son was also about him having a desk job and being a type-1 diabetic. He and my wife are highly intelligent independent thinkers that could also test a dusty under the desk cycle to see if it fits.

I'm going to continue using this under desk pedal exerciser in the stand-up position because it works for me and that is a good thing. A good example is, normally after mowing the lawn the next day my legs feel achy. I live in Florida and we mow lawns in winter as well. After using that under-desk peddle exerciser for a week before cutting the grass the other day my legs felt much less achy after having cut the grass. I'll be measuring the results closely over the longer term and I'll continue to exercise as I have.

Going back 10 years ago I read a book on Knee problems, pain and prevention as research for my knee experience by a Dr.Nicholas a DiNUBILE, MD which was an interesting read about his own knee injury experience and technological advances in the field over time.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:03 AM

107,000 posts, read 109,295,440 times
i had a bit of a wierd feeling in my toes .

i thought being a runner it was from running .

turns out it was neuropathy from being diabetic unbeknownst to me.

been many years now and despite bring a runner and gym rat , also pretty strict diet , it never went away

Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,529,753 times
My neuropathy started with 8 months of chemo, and it was over a year later that I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Once my A1C got up to 6.8 I went on medication, and after the 2023 holidays it spiked to 730 so now I have to watch my diet and use a blood Glucose meter every few days. It's been mostly between 99 and 160, with a few times up to 190. It allows me to see how various foods and exercise affect it.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:19 AM

Default Sometimes it makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had a bit of a wierd feeling in my toes .

i thought being a runner it was from running .

turns out it was neuropathy from being diabetic unbeknownst to me.

been many years now and despite bring a runner and gym rat , also pretty strict diet , it never went away

Sometimes it makes no sense.

I can't predict the future. I just asked the Google search engine: What percentage of the world population are diabetic.

The answer that came back was 10.5 percent of the world's adult population.

Medicine has come a long way since Dr. Joslin had written his book. I not a runner or a gym rat but I try to eat right, walk and workout only time will tell.

Have you or anyone seen a piece of equipment like the under-desk cycle with a stand up handle like I am describing in the gym world?

I would think it is pretty common and being low impact would be use a lot in the world of physical therapy also.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:51 AM

107,000 posts, read 109,295,440 times
I run 3.7 miles every other day and weight lift the days I don’t run

Old 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM

Default My son is using a wireless insulin pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My neuropathy started with 8 months of chemo, and it was over a year later that I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Once my A1C got up to 6.8 I went on medication, and after the 2023 holidays it spiked to 730 so now I have to watch my diet and use a blood Glucose meter every few days. It's been mostly between 99 and 160, with a few times up to 190. It allows me to see how various foods and exercise affect it.

My son is using a wireless insulin pump

While visiting on vacation a month back I brought out his Insulin and Blood test logs years of them. With the pump and the new blood test monitoring, control of blood sugar is much easier today than doing the shots and tests manually.

If you have to have diabetes, adult onset gives you the advantage of understanding how to care for yourself and it takes maturity, understanding and coordination of many things. Congratulations on good control.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Sometimes it makes no sense.

I can't predict the future. I just asked the Google search engine: What percentage of the world population are diabetic.

The answer that came back was 10.5 percent of the world's adult population.

Medicine has come a long way since Dr. Joslin had written his book. I not a runner or a gym rat but I try to eat right, walk and workout only time will tell.

Have you or anyone seen a piece of equipment like the under-desk cycle with a stand up handle like I am describing in the gym world?

I would think it is pretty common and being low impact would be use a lot in the world of physical therapy also.

In the gym, it is an elliptical. A fuller range of motion and no impact. A great device.

Last edited by preguntas; 05-06-2024 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-06-2024, 05:09 PM

14,385 posts, read 11,798,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
In the gym, it is an ELYPTICAL. A fuller range of motion and no impact. A great device.
Elliptical. In case you need to google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes