Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You should listen to your body.
That's usually a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's usually a mistake.

??

Thats the weight watchers way. I have found it works well. Thats NOT the same as giving in to every craving - or listening to your MENTAL anxieties, fears, etc. Its simply asking yourself - am I reallly STILL hungry, or am I pleasantly sated? I have found it works well, and has helped me even when for one reason or another Im not tracking.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,406,735 times
Your body is one of the last things to listen to. Most of us still have the survival instinct in full force when it comes to eating and we'll eat to survive "just in case". This is left over from the bad old days when many had to do without food because there just wasn't anything. That is obviously not the problem anymore with grocery stores and a never ending supply of fast food.
As stated earlier, fruit can be/is good, but in moderation. A two banana breakfast isn't a good idea at all.. How about one banana and an Egg Beater with some lean ham and vegetables?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Your body is one of the last things to listen to. Most of us still have the survival instinct in full force when it comes to eating and we'll eat to survive "just in case". This is left over from the bad old days when many had to do without food because there just wasn't anything. That is obviously not the problem anymore with grocery stores and a never ending supply of fast food.
As stated earlier, fruit can be/is good, but in moderation. A two banana breakfast isn't a good idea at all.. How about one banana and an Egg Beater with some lean ham and vegetables?
Listening to what your body tells you (hunger pangs vs. no hunger pangs, functioning better with a larger meal in the AM or PM, etc.) isn't the same as listening to what your mind is telling you (I really really feel like I should have a second helping of that!)
I do agree with having fruit and a little protein for breakfast rather than a double serving of fruit.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
[quote=subject2change;20667342I do agree with having fruit and a little protein for breakfast rather than a double serving of fruit.[/quote]

I prefer vegetables and protein for breakfast.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You should listen to your body. IF this does not leave you feeling hungry much of the day, and IF it doesnt leave you feeling stuffed after your one big meal, it might work, and could fit into the WW approach. I myself prefer 3 meals (which may or may not be mostly fruits and veggies, but almost always include SOMETHING else) plus an occasional snack. I know someone who tries to skip breakfast and lunch, and just a big dinner, and they have had uneven weight loss, but that could be them and not you.

I would note that on WW (In weight loss mode), eating 3 meals a day, I was usually able to squeeze in a beer or glass of wine or two on the weekend, using my weekly points.

Weight watchers and those other diet plans that call for low calories are done over the entire day with foods that help you feel fuller longer as to keep you from, one, binge eating because you feel starved, and two, keep your body from feeling it is starving and going into that fat-saving mode.

The key to WW (aside from tracking, variety, etc, etc) is listening to your body. Eat to a feeling of satiety, but not beyond. Don't go around feeling hungry much less starving, but also dont keep eating after you are sated, till you are stuffed. How that fits with different temporal patters of eating can vary for different individuals, though WW tends to lean towards eating several meals a day.

I typically have a two to five point breakfast (a single high fiber WW yogurt is two points, a cup of cheerios with a cup of skim milk and berries would be 5 points) but my wife prefers a heartier 7 or 8 point breakfast.

I have enjoyed eating chinese food in a restaurant, and mexican food without worrying too much about the calorie total . eating these with lunch and breakfast already eaten would have mean't a fairly small portion to stay within a weightwatchers calorie total - but these are exceptions - mostly will try to eat healthy type dinners.

Also one other - because I am eating less carbohydrates - Less Bread and Less Breakfast Cererals - therefore I notice just eating less carbs you that bit less hungry, and you don't crave carbs much.

Added Carrots and Celery as a Snack, pretty low in cals and nutritous

Energy levels are ok - feeling more alert, sharper but maybe a little less like exercise.

I find drinking plenty of tea, coffee and some diet cokes helps - plus fizzy water as well for curbing appetite.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM

295 posts, read 1,451,085 times
Meats, vegetables, seeds, and nuts.
Some fruit.
Little starch.
No sugar.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Experimenting with Just eating one Lunch time meal or an Evening Meal - in order to lose weight. I have tried to lose weight before and its always a struggle- but this is the only way I think which will work for me

Before you scream "starvation mode" - I intend to eat Fruit for breakfast, and fruit or veg in the evening or at lunch time - not huge amounts perhaps two bananas for breakfast, and apples and pears - Plus might use celery and carrots for snacking. This way it keeps the calorie total down. I think it manageable with fruit and water.

So far I feel fine - as long as I have fruit available, about 4 to 5 per day on top of the meal - Ok course I was a little hungry, and fruit does not give the feel good feeling like pizza. But you can have teas, coffee, diet cokes etc

The benefits are :

When you go out to eat a meal - you can eat a decent meal, not have to order a salad, or small portion - and then you get everyone asking are you on a diet or something.

As I lose weight - and my stomach shrinks - then the size of the evening meal will decrease - even now I feel a little bloated if eat something to big.

Its more natural to have one good feed, this eating little 6 times per day, and not having a decent meal - is not enjoyable and boring - of course its equally important not eat too much at the meal.

This feels for me a natural weight loss method - not a contrived, calorie counting, or avoiding one type of food, - all not sustainable.

You can drink an a few beers at the weekend - without worrying about the calories too much.
I know everyone hates this but I think it's not a bad idea. I mean, don't people keep saying, "cut the amount of calories you consume"? Well!

The only thing I would do differently is that I would have that main meal earlier in the day so that I was able to burn that off throughout the day rather than have it sit in my stomach at night time.

But having a good meal, and then having pieces of fruit and veggies the rest of the day...uh, that IS eating all these little small meals per day.

I see nothing wrong with this although I would try to drink more water and less pop. (Although I do agree, pop can quell those hunger pangs when you just don't have the time.)

Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
. I have tried to lose weight before and its always a struggle- but this is the only way I think which will work for me
You can do it, don't let the naysayers discourage you.

Quote:
I predict this will be just a memory for you about two weeks from now.

Quote:
Often those who are obsessed with the failures of others are merely projecting their own insecurities and self-doubts.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
"I have enjoyed eating chinese food in a restaurant, and mexican food without worrying too much about the calorie total . eating these with lunch and breakfast already eaten would have mean't a fairly small portion to stay within a weightwatchers calorie total - but these are exceptions - mostly will try to eat healthy type dinners."

yes, my experience on WW is that if you are going to have a dinner like that (esp the mexican - chinese you can something high in veggies and maybe light on the sauce, depending on where you go) you need to either eat a small portion for dinner, skimp earlier in the day, or use up your weekly/activity points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss