Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

One more trick to loose weight. String cheese is excellent. About 70 calories and it sticks with you for a while. I like the Crystal brand from Wal-Mart. Not the low fat ones. They only save 10 calories and don't taste 1/2 as good. Great thing instead of the normal snacks that have so many more calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Though eating too much cheese can make you constipated, thus the number on the scale isn't going to go down if you're not "exhaling".

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
What's the sodium in one stick? I would imagine if you ate 2-3 a day you would be getting at least 1/2 the daily requirment of sodium.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Not for me. Cheese is like crack and I can't stop at just one slice. It's best if I avoid it altogether, at least on its own. If it's sprinkled on a salad (like a condiment) or included in a sandwich, it's OK.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Have you ever tried the weight watchers brand? They are 50 cals and only 150mgs of sodium. I just wondered how they tasted. I am not too wild about the lower fat versions either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
What's the sodium in one stick? I would imagine if you ate 2-3 a day you would be getting at least 1/2 the daily requirment of sodium.
String Cheese Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM

That link is a general average breakdown. I notice they do vary a bit by brand/type. One stick is 8% of your daily sodium intake but 20% of your calcium needs. Definitely worth the salt intake. Sargento brand is a little high sodium compared to others I have tried or noticed.(about 240mgs/stick)

If you have a higher salt day just drink a little extra water (don't water load) and have a potassium rich food item to help balance the salt out.

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/nutritionnetwork/common/pdf/reduce_sodium_increase_potassium.pdf (broken link)

A step by step on how to do so with food type suggestions:
How To Take Potassium To Counteract Sodium | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
One more trick to loose weight. String cheese is excellent. About 70 calories and it sticks with you for a while. I like the Crystal brand from Wal-Mart. Not the low fat ones. They only save 10 calories and don't taste 1/2 as good. Great thing instead of the normal snacks that have so many more calories.
There are no "TRICKS" to losing weight. Eating string cheese or snacking on a lifesaver is not going to do anything if the person does not already have a decent and balanced nutritional intake AND a vigorous exercise routine.

String cheese is good as a carry-with-you snack, but there are a LOT of other things out there that are better. Your thread should read "String cheese as part of a healthy weight loss program".

Also, the lifesaver thread you posted is just silly. People needed to lose weight should not be munching on candy PERIOD. Doesnt matter that "oh, it only has 15 calories". Its candy/sugar and should be avoided by people who need to lose weight. Better options are:

1. Have a balanced and proper nutritional intake and there will be no desires for snacks or hunger.

2. If you MUST snack on something, it should be something NUTRITIONAL and HEALTHY. Raw broccoli, almond butter on whole wheat, plain air popped popcorn, cottage cheese, half grapefruit, 12 almonds, etc.

Candy should be avoided by those who need to lose weight.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There are no "TRICKS" to losing weight. Eating string cheese or snacking on a lifesaver is not going to do anything if the person does not already have a decent and balanced nutritional intake AND a vigorous exercise routine.

String cheese is good as a carry-with-you snack, but there are a LOT of other things out there that are better. Your thread should read "String cheese as part of a healthy weight loss program".

Also, the lifesaver thread you posted is just silly. People needed to lose weight should not be munching on candy PERIOD. Doesnt matter that "oh, it only has 15 calories". Its candy/sugar and should be avoided by people who need to lose weight. Better options are:

1. Have a balanced and proper nutritional intake and there will be no desires for snacks or hunger.

2. If you MUST snack on something, it should be something NUTRITIONAL and HEALTHY. Raw broccoli, almond butter on whole wheat, plain air popped popcorn, cottage cheese, half grapefruit, 12 almonds, etc.

Candy should be avoided by those who need to lose weight.
Actually its been shown that absolute denial only leads to binges. Realistic will work over idealistic every time. Depending on the individual the steps 1-2 can work or not. It depends on why they eat, if their body has the same response to food stimulus and the stage in the weight loss for life change. When you have a diet that is high in junk and you start to make the switch, it does take time for the body to repair.

I agree with the bolded fully. Calcium however is suppose to be positive for weight loss. So switching out crap food that does damage and add weight for something a little better is a step in the right direction.

You do not need a vigorous exercise routine to lose weight. You just need a liveable and healthy diet.

Strange thing is if you take more of these healthier tricks in as food at a reasonable level most crave them less and less. Sweets become too sweet etc.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I think string cheese is fine as long as you don't overdo it.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
string cheese tastes like rubber to me but in a pinch I would eat it if I had to and I have but the polly o variety.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
As long as it is organic... I avoid dairy products that have the growth hormones and nasties in them. I've now known too many older women who got cancer, and my belief now is that it was probably due to the dairy products and meats. One of the first things they all did was switch to organic almond or rice milk and to buying organic hormone free meats and yogurt. They all said their estrogen levels were much too high and they blamed it on the conventional dairy foods and the growth hormones and steroids that the dairy farmers give to the cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss