Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Some of the things this blogger is writing is just completely off, like "3 benefits of home tanning beds", which I assume one is you get to make a new friend who is a dermatologist and also their article about "2 simple steps for summertime ripped muscles" is flat out wrong.

Along those same lines, this posted article is perpetuating the same false logic / urban legend beliefs about diet and exercise that drive so many to fail at dieting and decide they can't do it and will just be overweight forever. Calories in is not that simple as the exact food you are eating can increase/decrease appetite, metabolism, activity level, inflammatory profile, oxidant levels, ect that may manifest itself as changes in body mass and composition. Additionally, changes in body mass and composition can affect all these mechanisms to either further assist or resist weight loss.
Additionally, telling people to go out and run is a bad idea as well. Specifically, running while overweight or obese may result in knee or other types of injuries as the joints may not be prepared for the excess weight. More generally, when looking at exercise what is probably as important as the calories burnt by the activity is the effects on the body following the exercise and these effects again can by modified by diet and body type. For example, let's compare the effects of running in an obese versus a lean individual. Even if by some miracle the initial calorie burn is the same - obesity was shown to inhibit mitochondrial growth and function - so the lean runner will see a greater overall calorie burn as they will see gains in resting metabolism and calories used in muscle recovery that the obese runner may not experience. Thus the effects of exercise is different for different people.

Everything is simply more complex than the author of this article realizes and the information he is espousing will just lead to frustration...
There is nothing simple about the physiology of losing weight. And we are not all the same, nor are all calories created equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
That must be why there are so many skinny people running around.
They're there, you just have to want to find them. I'm one of them.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:56 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Me too. How do I gain 10 pounds? I'm on a carb, sugar restricted died, so, how many chicken breasts and green beans do I have to eat to gain weight?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Fat is awesome. Most of my calories come from fat. Then protein. Then carbs which is the lowest. And I continue to lose fat. Funny how that works.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm just saying, when a fat person wants to lose weight and fails, it's on them. There are a billion and one diets, tips, routines, and advice columns which are totally reasonable, accessible, and can be successful when followed. When a fat person following one of these methods fails to lose weight, it's not on the diet it's on the dieter.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Fat is awesome. Most of my calories come from fat. Then protein. Then carbs which is the lowest. And I continue to lose fat. Funny how that works.
Yep, plus I work out for at least 1 hour a day. My weight stays constant so long as I don't do too many races. I've been up to 6000 cals a day and still lost too much.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
^^ Really, I laughed out loud at the "run slowly for an hour" idea.

I wouldn't be able to run for five minutes, let alone an hour. I can WALK for an hour (but usually do it for 30 - 45 minutes, which is a lot more realistic on a lunch hour.

Maybe the article is for 20-somethings, but often people are skinny in their 20s and it's when you get older that the weight goes on. No one's going to start running in their forties.

But the OP has the very basics of weight loss down. 1 pound does indeed equal 3500 calories, and there's no getting around it--you have to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^^ Really, I laughed out loud at the "run slowly for an hour" idea.

I wouldn't be able to run for five minutes, let alone an hour. I can WALK for an hour (but usually do it for 30 - 45 minutes, which is a lot more realistic on a lunch hour.

Maybe the article is for 20-somethings, but often people are skinny in their 20s and it's when you get older that the weight goes on. No one's going to start running in their forties.

But the OP has the very basics of weight loss down. 1 pound does indeed equal 3500 calories, and there's no getting around it--you have to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight.
I started running in my 40's. I always hated running but I wanted to get past all the barriers I allowed myself to put up over the years. You can start running at any age.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I started running in my 40's. I always hated running but I wanted to get past all the barriers I allowed myself to put up over the years. You can start running at any age.
Really? I am 54. I think if I started running I would likely keel over. I do walk.

Also, I had arthroscopic knee surgery a few years ago and the doctor said that since I have less cartilage now, I should not take up running, but I figured that was a given since I am this age.

Thanks for that information. I really thought that if you didn't run when you were young, you couldn't start with something that strenuous when you were older.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Running may not be the answer for you because of your knee however cycling would be great for you. Do not think of your age as an obstacle. Besides 54 is YOUNG! For my 50th birthday I entered my first triathlon. I tell my husband I am going down swinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss