Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 Mondays View Post
Why did you gain the weight back? It is usually because you didn't learn enough while losing weight so you went back to the previous way of eating and exercising. Was that your case?
Well, I can't speak for the poster you quoted, but in my case, when I want to lose weight losing weight pretty much becomes my only hobby. I have to spend all of my free time planning meals, shopping, cooking and working out. At some point my life gets in the way and, even if I spent months or years planning/cooking/working out, if just one of those things falls down the priority list weight will creep back on.

I guess you could say that I haven't yet learned a sustainable way of losing weight. I've tried to only make changes I can truly sustain for life, but doing that has never resulted in real weight loss for me. I only lose when I make drastic changes. I already do all those little tips you read; substitute a lower-calorie sauce/dressing, taking the stairs, parking farther away, walking everywhere, etc. That stuff is not enough to change the scale in my case.

Maybe things would be different if I could get my thyroid numbers under control, but so far I haven't found a doctor that's really knowledgeable about it and who wants to get my numbers into the optimal range (most are content with anything within the reference range, which is often far from ideal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
I think is mostly the lack of real knowledge. There are many misconceptions and a lot of information out there is misleading which creates a very confusing environment for anybody that is trying to make any sense on how to lose weight. I include your mind, brain, thoughts, willpower here. When you learn and understand better what's going on you are able to work with your mind or brain in your favor. I think there is a real need to go back to basics.

I think it is many different things for many different people.
There is no one blanket fits all on this topic.

I don't think telling people that they lack knowledge about their bodies and their diet is a good thing, they may just believe you are calling them stupid and then your credibility goes down the toity.

The only thing that is misleading when it comes to diet is the advice some people give to others and the "testimonials" that eating dandelions all day every day will make you the most healthy you have ever been and you will lose 10 pounds is 12 hours.

I think there is a "real need" to leave humans alone to make their own choices, live their own lives and tend to their own diets IF they choose to.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Why did you gain the weight back? It is usually because you didn't learn enough while losing weight so you went back to the previous way of eating and exercising. Was that your case?

There you go "assuming" someone lacks knowledge again.
How in the world would you know the reason someone gained weight.

Amazingly enough when one enters Menopause and keeps their calorie intake and exercise routine the same they STILL gain weight.........there's a bit of knowlege for you to "learn" because you appear to not have "learned" this from reading something somewhere that someone wrote or you do not have real life experience with menopause.

You have no clue why someone gains weight after losing it, it "could" be they started eating more calories and not exercised the same.
It "could" be they started taking medication that causes weight gain.
It "could" be they were in an accident and immobile for months recovering from injuries.
It "could" be they started menopause.
It "could" be they just had a baby and have yet to lose the weight gained from pregnancy.
It "could" be they just don't care any longer and eat what they want, when they want and don't exercise.
It "could" be they are in a clinical depression and their medication needs to be changed because it is not working any longer or they have yet to start medication.

It "could" be................

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Well, I can't speak for the poster you quoted, but in my case, when I want to lose weight losing weight pretty much becomes my only hobby. I have to spend all of my free time planning meals, shopping, cooking and working out. At some point my life gets in the way and, even if I spent months or years planning/cooking/working out, if just one of those things falls down the priority list weight will creep back on.

I guess you could say that I haven't yet learned a sustainable way of losing weight. I've tried to only make changes I can truly sustain for life, but doing that has never resulted in real weight loss for me. I only lose when I make drastic changes. I already do all those little tips you read; substitute a lower-calorie sauce/dressing, taking the stairs, parking farther away, walking everywhere, etc. That stuff is not enough to change the scale in my case.

Maybe things would be different if I could get my thyroid numbers under control, but so far I haven't found a doctor that's really knowledgeable about it and who wants to get my numbers into the optimal range (most are content with anything within the reference range, which is often far from ideal).
I think this would be the hardest thing - when something is off physically and your metabolism is not functioning properly, and 'normal' measures don't work, that's something I have real sympathy for; it's probably one of my biggest fears, uncontrollable weight gain due to health issues.

Everything else - time, money, knowledge, blah blah are all excuses imo.
FWIW though I have lost weight and kept a bmi of 18 with absolutely no planning meals or even much cooking - I cooked for my family but not myself. I simply grazed on bites of this and that throughout the day, including bread and sweets, washed down with lots of coffee, which kept me not hungry and still added up to less than 1200 cal a day. Like I'd have a quarter of a sandwich rather than a whole one at lunch. I never really sat down to have a full real meal. Not saying it's a healthy way to do it and I know I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed, but I was thin and didn't have to deal with hunger, cravings, or deprive myself of any favorite foods. I've been making an effort to eat actual nutritious food lately and I have to say, it's a much harder way of going about it.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM

613 posts, read 463,850 times
For me, it's food. I have to get away from processed stuff and cook my ish.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Why time? You mean the time you need to get your groceries and to cook to have healthy and weight management friendly meals?
It's the planning and food prep. That and the lack of storage available which makes it necessary to go to the store multiple times a week.

The challenge is finding time to do it all. I can do it, but if there was a service that did it for me (plan my meals, shop and prep) that would be fantastic!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I struggle with that too. I just changed meds again, for the 4th time and she upped my dose.

I am seeing a dietitian and tracking my intake/calories/macronutrients and logging my workouts. For the last 3 months I have gained 3lbs, eating about 1200 calories and working out a fair amount. It's damn frustrating! I could eat less because I am rarely actually hungry, but the doc and dietitian advised against that.

Hoping the new meds and increased dose will help a bit.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 375 times
Consistency... Seeing weight loss as temporary goal, rather than a lifestyle change, then going back to empty calories every so often. We must stay consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss