Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Researchers have discovered that food that contains a carb to fat ratio of about 50:35 makes us lose control and stuff as much of the food into our system as possible. Not only humans, lab rats behave the same way. I assume it is no different with other mammals.

That ratio applies to many snacks, including candy, potato chips, etc.

So one might avoid such foods altogether, often the contents are listed in percentages on the labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Thank you...carbs do make me want to eat more.
I do my carbs in fruit only now.
And I feel great...no pasta or pizza or potato chips, even sandwiches for me.
For 15 years I've been low carb.

(Never did cakes and donuts or soda anyway.)

Old 05-04-2015, 06:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
What research?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I'd love to see a link to this research. Sounds worth reading.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 AM

I read it on a German site, and since online translators tend to produce odd results with difficult languages, I did not post the link. But I did not make it up
Darum machen Chips und*Schokolade*süchtig - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I read it on a German site, and since online translators tend to produce odd results with difficult languages, I did not post the link. But I did not make it up
Darum machen Chips und*Schokolade*süchtig - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Phooey. Now I have to learn German.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Researchers have discovered that food that contains a carb to fat ratio of about 50:35 makes us lose control and stuff as much of the food into our system as possible. Not only humans, lab rats behave the same way. I assume it is no different with other mammals.

That ratio applies to many snacks, including candy, potato chips, etc.

So one might avoid such foods altogether, often the contents are listed in percentages on the labels.
This may be the case in lab rats, wild animals, or any mammal too stupid to make their own decisions, but us humans, we have something called intelligence. We can educate ourselves and make conscious decisions on what would be best for our own health and our family's health. Ultimately, we decide what types of food we eat with our brains/intelligence. We are not just subject to "whatever will be will be" or "ping pong ball floating on the ocean" because of a 50:35 carb/fat ratio in our food that subconsciously makes us eat more.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:48 AM

In theory yes, but those are very old instincts that might be hardwired into our brains. It says in the link that they assume it has evolutionary advantages because a long time ago nutritious food was not always available. So when it was available, early humans ate as much of it as they could.

I guess it is not unlike with sexuality. It can kind of override reason

Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
I am skeptical of this research, and I wish it were in English so that we could read it. Most studies of any note are published in English-language journals.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
This may be the case in lab rats, wild animals, or any mammal too stupid to make their own decisions, but us humans, we have something called intelligence. We can educate ourselves and make conscious decisions on what would be best for our own health and our family's health.
Ummmm ..... you think?

Humans are not as smart as we would have ourselves believe. We are judging ourselves - are we being truly objective?

Have a look around and see what 'intelligent' decisions are being made by 'intelligent' parents for the health of there family. What do most parents feed their precious young children? They know, they have seen it, heard it and been told but they ignore it or turn it off or think it doesn't apply to them. Is being constantly at war a sign of intelligence?

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss