Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,867,285 times

Advertisements

The FDA has approved a new surgical device for weight loss, a manual pump that drains food out of your stomach. Surgeons place the “Aspire Assist” device by inserting a tube in the stomach through an abdominal incision.

The tube is then connected to a port valve outside of the abdomen. After eating, the patient can open the valve and drain stomach contents into the toilet.

Anyone else heard of this? I think it sounds incredibly disgusting but I suppose if it helps people lose weight it is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:46 PM

854 posts, read 1,707,921 times
No, it is not a good thing. Elective surgery is never a good thing.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:22 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
I'm not for it...it's basically medical bullemia. There really has to be a better way than this.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:15 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,867,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm not for it...it's basically medical bullemia. There really has to be a better way than this.
The thought of watching the food I just ate spill out of me and into the toilet would be enough to make me stop overeating.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:17 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,825,346 times
Eww, gross!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 PM

983 posts, read 1,057,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's what I thought. Although my understanding is that people who are bulimic tend to experience some kind of relief from the actual purging that goes beyond emptying the stomach. Maybe I'm wrong...But that operation seems like such horrible medicine.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,445,068 times
As someone who has struggled with bulimia in the past, it seems exactly like medical bulimia to me. I'm not against surgery to help people lose weight, but the other methods actually promote them eating less and healthier. This does nothing to address the issue of compulsive overeating.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
As someone who has struggled with bulimia in the past, it seems exactly like medical bulimia to me. I'm not against surgery to help people lose weight, but the other methods actually promote them eating less and healthier. This does nothing to address the issue of compulsive overeating.
This. The thing is, for a majority of "stuffers," an ED is indeed already present. There aren't all that many physical issues common to first-world nations that cause stuffing. Prader-Willi syndrome can, but that's a very small percentage of the population. Extreme parasitic infection can; again, this is comparatively uncommon in first-world conditions. I suppose some medications could also fall into this category...for example, steroid medications. I get that.

But bingeing in areas where food is plentiful and certain diseases and issues (such as parasite-infested drinking water) aren't largely present, as far as any research I've ever read tends to have a psychological cause more frequently than a physical one. Now if it is a physical cause, the physical cause would need to be what's addressed...wouldn't it? Rather than just emptying via a tube following stuffing? And if it's a medication, wouldn't you be busily finding a substitute medication with less of an overeating side effect? (I don't say that in a cavalier way...been there, done that. A percentage of people would have no choice - certain steroids, for example - but these would by no means be the overwhelming majority of the population. They'd just be a percentage.) So I'm still not seeing the up side of this device.

As far as the bulimia tie-in...I would think the relief of "emptying" could quickly become psychological given the already psychological nature of the need to stuff/binge. You're already dealing with a psychological issue tied to eating and control of the body and, occasionally, going out of control (the stuffing portion). I can't see that it would be such a huge step for the other half of the equation to click into place and an overall sense of well-being to happen due to emptying, and eventually, a dependence forming in certain people.

I don't have any evidence to back this, I'm not a researcher, but it seems logical to me. I could be way off-base. I am just struggling and struggling to see an upside here. I can't find one. It find the idea of this device really distressing, actually...and almost a sort of a caricature of the 21st century first-world condition. It's like something some alarmist writer would have come up with. "In the future, people will be so wealthy as far as the ability to obtain food that they'll stuff themselves until they need to empty the food out with a tube...then they can stuff again."

I hate judging in this way since I know how very hard it can be to lose weight, or to maintain a healthy weight, but this device is just sort of a bridge too far for me. It's not my business who uses it, I'm just putting in my $.02.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Thank you for sharing that, CarnivalGal. <3

Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
Surgically enabled bulimia. Sad. I guess we will find out down the road if it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss