Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can order a salad anywhere, dressed with a little oil and some lemon juice. YMMV.
That's how I like my salad. Better than any commercial dressing, and every kitchen has oil and lemon.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I can make a healthy meal at most restaurants, with the exception of those where every side dish is fried (discovered this at a BBQ joint- they even deep-fried the green beans!). It's also a challenge if I'm traveling and they have ginormous proportions since boxing up what I don't eat and taking it home isn't an option.

Some tactics: instead of an entree, order two appetizers, one that's a green vegetable without any added fats or starches, one that has some lean protein. Morton's Steak House used to offer a beefsteak tomato as an appetizer- the price was madness but the company paid for it when I was traveling on business! I skip dessert and enjoy the last of the wine if others order dessert. If I'm going to eat a giant piece of pie or cheesecake, I don't want to stuff it in on top of an already- giant restaurant meal. I'll enjoy it on some other occasion. When I'm on road trips, Subway is my go-to place for meals.

While I like the idea of local, responsibly-sourced ingredients, I agree that doesn't mean they're heart-healthy or low calorie. You still need to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
Just got back from a work lunch at Red Robin. I had their Black & Bleu Burger "wedgie" style. Instead of o bun, it's served wrapped in lettuce. It was pretty damn good too.

Wedgie style nutrition:700 calories, 50.5g fat (17.5 g sat fat), 1270 mg sodium, 12 g carbs, 7 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Regular nutrition: 970 calories 61g fat (21 g sat) 1470 mg sodium 53 carbs 4 g fiber 13 g sugar 50 g protein.

Much better for those on low carb\keto. I don't know how many other restaurants offer bun-less burgers, but Red Robin can't be the only one.

(I did have two fries though)

Old 04-18-2019, 05:43 PM

33,334 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Just got back from a work lunch at Red Robin. I had their Black & Bleu Burger "wedgie" style. Instead of o bun, it's served wrapped in lettuce. It was pretty damn good too.

Wedgie style nutrition:700 calories, 50.5g fat (17.5 g sat fat), 1270 mg sodium, 12 g carbs, 7 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Regular nutrition: 970 calories 61g fat (21 g sat) 1470 mg sodium 53 carbs 4 g fiber 13 g sugar 50 g protein.

Much better for those on low carb\keto. I don't know how many other restaurants offer bun-less burgers, but Red Robin can't be the only one.

1270 mg sodium for one meal......

Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
1270 mg sodium for one meal......
Yeah, that's the worst part. I just won't salt my food for the next day, lol.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:25 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post

Ditching the bun is the best way to enjoy food favorites (replace bun with bread for sandwiches). I love Five Guys, I go bunless, order a small fry and only eat half of what they serve. I get to enjoy a decadent meal but without over consuming.

I also recently grabbed a hamburger at Chili's, went bunless and swapped the fries for steamed broccoli I happen to love, love, love broccoli so for me, that was a ginormous win.

We have to live our lives without guilt or fear of falling.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I get a 7x7 at Steak and Shake without a bun, get all the toppings (extra mayo) and swap the fries for a salad.
The wife has to give me one fry.

I don't ditch the bread when I make a sandwich. I use Aunt Millie's.
Had a delicious hot turkey breast and cheese sandwich just last night.
That turkey gets piled pretty high...

Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Smokey Bones has a lettuce bun option - I get it with their Pulled Pork Sammy - so delicious! I save my carbs for their cornbread and some french fries on the side!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There's a bevy of "health conscious" restaurants in my area. These restaurants tout how much better (than say other chain restaurants) they are because they serve organic, locally sourced, artistic food that is "healthy". The fare at these restaurants is often more expensive.

Truth is, these restaurants really aren't any more 'healthy' for those trying to maintain their weight. The calories (if they choose to disclose them) are often quite high (750 for a "grassfed burger", with a side of their dressing soaked 220 calorie salad). The sodium levels are as excessively high as Olive Garden's, because somehow, to make things palatable, an entree has to have at least 1400 mgs of sodium. Sugar isn't particularly low either. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, these healthy restaurants are no different than any other and the 'healthy' is just a gimmick to encourage people to think that restraint shouldn't be used and spend more money.
What you mention above is not healthy.

Also, "Grass fed" in the US is often a lie because the regulations stating what can be labelled, grass fed.

Look out for these "health foods" cooked with oil also.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:50 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can order a salad anywhere, dressed with a little oil and some lemon juice. YMMV.
Cheers, and too each their own.

I order salads with no dressing at all but I'll try lemon juice now that you mentioned it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss