Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 12:11 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
You need to be at a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. You are arguing that the diet that works for you should work for everyone. That is simply not the case. Different people react differently to certain ways of eating. I lost weight and kept it off simply by cutting my caloric intake. I eat a healthy diet of non processed, fast, or junk foods. I do eat carbs likes pasta, rice, bread - and I maintain my weight. A high fat diet - I did Atkins years ago, made me feel disgusting most of the time.
CICO worked for me. I am not saying it will work for anyone else. Your way of eating works for you - do not assume it will work for others.

No! I am saying a higher fat low carb diet will fill you up faster and let you feel satiated longer. Yea its all about calories, but how you do it can mean its a huge burden fighting your own body or easy cause frankly low carb, especially one based on boatload raw produce and little bit of everything else will fill you quicker. All meat all the time probably not a good strategy, those cultures that ate mostly seafood/meat, tended to get a lot of natural fat with lot nutrients in it. Processed fat or fat from confinement raised livestock doesnt have that kind of nutrition. Most animals prefer high fat over high protein or high carbs.

When I went low carb (not KETO), I was amazed how much less food I ate before feeling filled. And I wasnt constantly wanting to snack. It actually became more of a problem eating enough food. I still only eat two meals a day. Occasionally if feeling exhausted or just lazy will skip the second meal. Lost over 100 pounds without trying, my only goal was trying to control my blood sugar without drugs. Weight loss was a surprising side effect. And yea there is a learning curve, I missed the grain based dishes and bread for a while. Not a problem anymore. The easiest way to control carbs is to go grain free. Meaning not only grain but any grain derived product. Humans have adapted to grain since they started living in cities where grain frankly stored well and was economical. But humans didnt originally evolve for a grain based diet. Same way herbivore livestock wasnt designed to eat grain, they were designed for grass, leaves, and other edible plants. They might get some grass seed in their diet, same as they would get some insects in their diet. But it wasnt a significant part of their diet.

Humans like many other animals are omnivores and opportunists. They can survive on some less than ideal foods, but doesnt mean they thrive on them. Sometimes in starvation situations, any digestible food is better than no food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 06:58 PM

310 posts, read 323,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
No! I am saying a higher fat low carb diet will fill you up faster and let you feel satiated longer. Yea its all about calories, but how you do it can mean its a huge burden fighting your own body or easy cause frankly low carb, especially one based on boatload raw produce and little bit of everything else will fill you quicker. All meat all the time probably not a good strategy, those cultures that ate mostly seafood/meat, tended to get a lot of natural fat with lot nutrients in it. Processed fat or fat from confinement raised livestock doesnt have that kind of nutrition. Most animals prefer high fat over high protein or high carbs.

When I went low carb (not KETO), I was amazed how much less food I ate before feeling filled. And I wasnt constantly wanting to snack. It actually became more of a problem eating enough food. I still only eat two meals a day. Occasionally if feeling exhausted or just lazy will skip the second meal. Lost over 100 pounds without trying, my only goal was trying to control my blood sugar without drugs. Weight loss was a surprising side effect. And yea there is a learning curve, I missed the grain based dishes and bread for a while. Not a problem anymore. The easiest way to control carbs is to go grain free. Meaning not only grain but any grain derived product. Humans have adapted to grain since they started living in cities where grain frankly stored well and was economical. But humans didnt originally evolve for a grain based diet. Same way herbivore livestock wasnt designed to eat grain, they were designed for grass, leaves, and other edible plants. They might get some grass seed in their diet, same as they would get some insects in their diet. But it wasnt a significant part of their diet.

Humans like many other animals are omnivores and opportunists. They can survive on some less than ideal foods, but doesnt mean they thrive on them. Sometimes in starvation situations, any digestible food is better than no food.
Yeah, okay, works for you. I will stick with eating whole and minimally processed food from ALL the food groups.
Whole grains are healthy and full of nutrition and fiber. I have zero interest in ever giving them up.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:24 PM

178 posts, read 162,012 times
"Science" has a way of putting things in a blender such that the finer details within the source culture of a diet are not disseminated.

Fermented foods maybe very well a secret sauce to improved vitality regardless of source. Fermented dairy, fermented vegetables all can contribute established beneficial effects.

The so-called China study actually involves a population in a western backwater of China, where nearly everything that is a plant is SALTED and FERMENTED.

This might be in part due to the lactobacilli in those foods counteracting the negative effects of starch intake such as rampant streptococcus mutans growth and the ensuing development of gum disease.

Fermentation in cheese can produce vitamin K2 as well.

Oily fish and shellfish are also beneficial foods.

Keto can include avocados, tofu, green vegetables etc because of a lack of net carbs.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,552 times
In college, about 10 years ago, I lasted 3 months on keto, lost 30 pounds, all the way down to about 170lbs and then crashed hard (still not sure why other than it’s a crappy way to live, maybe not enough calories?). I did have periods of feeling energetic, but looking back, it was more of a wired, cortisol induced energy. I was never truly relaxed and sometimes it felt like what I would imagine amphetamines feel like. At the time, of course I believed it was amazing. I remember running to the gym one Saturday morning at 6am because I had too much energy - I’m not a morning person, BTW

After crashing on keto (muscle soreness, zero energy, deep depression, chills), I tried adding salt and sweet potatoes back in but that ultimately didn’t do much. I think I was “sick” for 2 or 3 weeks before I finally started to feel better. I threw in the towel but I held onto some of my beliefs about high fat/high meat which was definitely damaging because foods like beans, rice, potatoes weren’t on my radar - at least as daily staples. My staple was still meat and I still wasn’t afraid to eat loads of fat. Immediately afterward , for maybe a year or two, I did spend some time in the paleo sphere, which was better, but ultimately still sucked.

Most of the time between 2014 and now was spent on a high meat, high fat SAD diet. I didn’t eat straight up junk, but overall it wasn’t good.. I developed a craft beer/ over eating habit and ballooned all the way up to 275lbs. Sometimes I think my intense beer cravings were really just my body screaming for complex carbs and nutrients. I can now have a beer or two and feel fine with no urges to binge. I probably only drink 1/4 of what I used to.

I’ve only been plant based for 3 months now but literally everything is better from cognition to mood to energy in the gym - muscle gains. It’s so liberating to finally understand the fact that I don’t need meat to thrive. Not only that, but it was probably detrimental.

I’m going to try my best to be as cautious and honest about plant based because I’ve obviously made the mistake in the past of becoming obsessively optimistic over diets, but I gotta say, so far, I feel deep down, like it’s going to be a long term thing.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:38 AM

110 posts, read 83,602 times
I have been on keto and 16:8 IF for the past 3 or 4 weeks now. I've gone down roughly 6 to 8 pounds, although I'm sure a lot was water weight to lose at first. I can't measure my ketones right now but I started measuring my blood glucose. Yesterday, I did a 19 hour fast and measured it....58. Quite low but I felt fine and I assumed my ketone level would be quite high with a blood glucose that low. After I broke my fast, my blood sugar stayed in the high 70s, low 80s for remainder of the day.

I have found that I can by with a lot less sleep since I started keto and IF. I feel fully refreshed after 5 to 6 hours of sleep with no naps in the day, while that would definitely not happen before I started.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
According to the article, the ratings are based on a survey, i.e., a bunch of opinions.
I'd be more inclined to pay attention if it were based on a scientific review of well-run experiments.

Because, as they discovered in the 1960s, 4 out of 5 doctors surveyed smoke Marlboros.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:10 PM

310 posts, read 323,183 times
Ketogenic Diets and Chronic Disease: Weighing the Benefits Against the Risks

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...702802/full#h1

Old 04-20-2022, 08:07 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times
[quote=ukiyo-e;62409988]I couldn't agree more! I get really, really weary of people on various diets trying to convince me that I should eat their way. I'm 67, a 5'8" woman who weighs 135. I do a lot of moderate exercise including riding my horse and walking at least a couple miles almost every day, and I prefer to eat a Mediterranean-type diet with healthy fats, very little meat, few processed foods/sugar (I slip there at times, but don't beat myself up over it), and a lot of whole grains and other complex carbs.

I have eaten this way for 40 years. I take no prescription medications and am very healthy.

WHY do overweight people on these "diets du jour" constantly try to tell me they know better how I should eat than I do? I volunteer at our local hospital, and I've had two customers and one nurse lecture me about how I should be on the keto diet. That diet sounds very unappetizing to me. I'm not knocking it - if people want to eat that way and it helps them lose weight, go for it. Same with any other diet! But the way I eat and exercise has worked for me for decades, and I'm lean and healthy, so WHY does anyone think I want their diet advice?

It's all so very tiresome. And frankly, rude. I don't go around telling overweight people how they should eat - as if I'm any expert just because I found what works for ME to keep my weight at a healthy level.[/QUOTE

Oh, I so agree with you! And so do most health care professionals. Your way of eating is recommended and endorsed by them time after time. And you're living proof of that -- perfect weight, active, no illness.

The way we eat is very personal...I don't push my eating plan with others (unless asked) even though it's tempting at times when one sees someone suffering illnesses and eating in an unhealthy way.

I eat as you do--and it's not a diet, and it's delicious & nutritious. And not nearly as expensive as buying meats & poultry.

To each their own. But so much of America is eating their way into disease. Diabetes in kids is epidemic and continues to rise. It's sad and doesn't have to be that way.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:40 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
No, they can’t, actually. All zero carb foods (well, except for salt) have saturated fat in them. Fish have a better fat profile, but they still have saturated fat. All good sources of unsaturated fat are vegetable sources lol and they have carbs. Ok, avocado and nuts don’t have that many carbs, but who is going to eat nothing but nuts and avocados? Talk about a restricted diet. The only non carb source of unsaturated fat is pure vegetable oil. And it’s not like some is just going to drink vegetable oil all day, lol.

I am anti-keto by the way. I think it is a silly diet. Just pointing out errors in reasoning.
The poster said, "One can eat low carb without the high saturated fats Keto diet calls for."
Low carb allows for pretty much all the veggies you could eat, a bit different from a full-on Keto diet.

Current science shows that cholesterol and saturated fat in food do not turn into cholesterol in the body, but mix them with carbs (or just eat lots of carbs), and you're likely to see heart disease. Eat the butter, not the bread.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:22 PM

110 posts, read 83,602 times
I don't know why there has be a war between people on diets. If it works for you, great. If you don't agree with a diet, live and let live. I'm doing low keto and IF and it's going great for me, but I'm not going to go off about how it's the perfect diet that everyone should be following. That would even be irresponsible because it could be dangerous for some. Everyone's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss