Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times

Advertisements

OP, I lost 71 pounds in about 14 weeks.

IF, 2 meals per day.

Some OMAD.

No beer, no booze.

Low protein (lost a lot of muscle).

Ate only Non-processed foods.

Did not exercise much except for walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 12:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What are common Eastern European vegetables? That's my heritage as well. Besides cabbage, seems like all family recipes included white foods like potatoes, dumplings, stuffing (can't spell what they called it), etc.
Mushrooms, in particular wild mushrooms. Sorrel, which can be hard to find here in the U.S., but I use dandelion instead. Gherkins, or small cucumbers. Beets, of course. Onion, rhubarb, radish, and so on. Carrots, endive, cabbage, tomatoes (including green).

Food items themselves are not that much different. The main differences are that a proper pickle is fermented and fermented/pickled vegetables in general are more popular. Of course, pickling in a vinegar brine is okay.
Likely the biggest difference is that flavor is in large part from herbs with less reliance on salt/pepper (but mostly salt) like here in the U.S. For example: an aunt on my wife's side of the family will make carrots and dill with butter, salt, pepper, carrots, maybe honey, and a sprinkle of dill. Americans also prefer sweet, Eastern Europeans prefer stronger flavors. An aunt on my side of the family would make carrots and dill with sunflower oil (preferably unrefined), carrots, 1/2 bunch of dill if not the entire bunch-including stems, pinch of salt and pepper.

It's also hard to describe traditional foods. Historically, many food items were foraged, or easily caught/hunted. There are French and Italian influences. Scandinavian and Asian, as well. There were also food issues arising from spending half a century behind the Iron Curtain. But because travel around those former Soviet Bloc countries and countries that were friendly with Russia (Georgia, Azarbaijan, and other 'stans) was less restricted (well, less restricted than being allowed to travel to Western countries, that is), that also influenced foods people ate.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
There's a whole thread on what we eat

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet...ily-basis.html

If you want pizza and rice more than weight loss, then you'll probably not have to worry about losing weight.

Its not that hard to cut back dramatically. I used to eat pasta-carb rich dishes almost every morning noon and night. I had pizza almost every weekend. But when I wanted to lose weight I went 2 months with no pizza, and now I have it about once a month. I have only eaten rice once, about 1/3 my previous normal serving, when I ordered Chinese. I discovered that when I do my own stir-frys, I don't need any rice at all and I actually stay full longer without it.

Carbs make me hungry for more carbs. Eating more fat and protein took its place, which helped me reduce my serving size when i do eat carbs.
Yes, this^^^

I found it amazing that eating less, but more protein and fats made me much less hungry.

When I used to eat "white carbs", I'd be hungry again soon after. It's about the insulin rise after eating carbs, then the crash making you hungry again.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Best way to lose weight is to skip two of those meals, and dont overeat

Old 07-20-2021, 09:36 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Have you been able to keep the weight off, though?
The large number of thin people in Somalia and Ethiopia would suggest that this diet work well.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
I always have been curious what specific foods people eat to lose weight. I just don’t think I could give up carbs, especially foods like rice or pizza. However I find it difficult to lose weight without being hungry all the time.

It's a little tough for me to lose weight. Pizza & Chinese are my ultimate faves. I just like food but I eat a little too much, but I'm nowhere near the worst eater. I eat a good amount of salads & drink a lot of water regularly. I've never smoked or drank. Heck, I don't even drink coffee. I've taken a lot of vitamins me entire life too...but a lot more regularly in these last several yrs.

Today, I started the 3-Day Diet (aka Military Diet). They say you can actually lose 10 pounds in 3 days. Now I tried it once yrs ago & lost about 8 lbs after 7 days, but that's fabulous enough for me! You eat these very specific foods for B-L-D for any 3 days in a row you want (that you think you'll stick to the diet the best), then eat whatever you want, but sensibly for the other 4 days. I don't care if people call it a fad diet. They are regular foods you get at any grocery store. (No funny pills or powders, etc. to take.)

Here's the diet plan. I never even drank coffee as I said, so I stick w/ water (maybe tea) for the beverage:
https://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/

There's a thread on it here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...-day-diet.html

Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM

289 posts, read 248,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
OP, I lost 71 pounds in about 14 weeks.

IF, 2 meals per day.

Some OMAD.

No beer, no booze.

Low protein (lost a lot of muscle).

Ate only Non-processed foods.

Did not exercise much except for walking.

Yes this is an example of how you should not diet the idea is to lose FAT not Lean Body Mass
Plenty of Protein lots exercise hopefully weights and a slow and steady weight loss of 1 to 2 lb week

Old 08-11-2021, 12:34 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have given up sugar and hidden sugar. I severely limit white flour. It’s more about feeling better, but I expect to lose pounds. I count carbs and calories on the Adkins website Food diary. It’s free and very user friendly. I am never hungry because the foods are high protein. Adkins makes desserts, so if I crave something sweet I can have it. I go over on the carbs sometimes, but I’m always way under on the calories..1100-1500 cals.

Typical breakfast, 1 egg and 2 pieces of bacon, or an egg with chopped avocado, or mushrooms, etc. If I’m feeling rebellious I’ll have half a bagel with avocado, and olive oil.
Lunch, a cheese wrap, meat or tuna, lettuce, tomato, Pickles, hummus or mayo.
Dinner, whatever i would normally make, including potato and all vegetables.

Once a week or so, i might have pizza or pasta, if i really feel like it, but usually i can do without it. I am not a rice fan, so i never eat it.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-11-2021 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 06:42 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
I always have been curious what specific foods people eat to lose weight. I just don’t think I could give up carbs, especially foods like rice or pizza. However I find it difficult to lose weight without being hungry all the time.
Not missing the pizza or white carbs as much as I thought I would.

I'm finding a higher fat diet works for me...I've greatly reduced white, processed carbs. Not nearly as hungry as when I ate a lot of processed carbs. Fat is satisfying and leaves me feeling full.

--Breakfast: 1-2 eggs, 2 strips bacon. Coffee with cream. Sometimes a small orange or tangerine.

--Lunch is usually a wrap (reduced carb wrap) with chicken & veggies or smoked salmon (with cream cheese, lettuce, tomato) and often a small green salad. Or I might make tuna salad and use a wrap or serve over a big salad.

--Dinner varies--tonight we had a fish stew with lotsa veggies (including carrots & new potatoes, onion, garlic, okra, celery), and some skinless cod filets cut into cubes. The broth was a large can of diced tomatoes and seasonings.

Often, we'll have Asian turkey meatballs (made with garlic and fresh ginger, simmered in a teriyaki sauce served over steamed bok choy. Or a turkey-cheese burger with no bun and lotsa steamed veggies such as broccoli. Or a small steak or broiled chicken thighs or breast with you guessed it, a large salad or steamed veggies. Veggies are served with butter.

Try it! Might work for you, too.

Those white, processed carbs let you get hungry pretty fast as they spike your insulin response--and when it falls again, you're once again starving.

Not so with the fat and the protein and the non-starchy veggies. (though I will use a smallish amount of potatoes in some recipes...)

Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I function much better on a high protein and very low carbohydrate diet. Eat the Kind Breakfast Granola Bars and you'll rarely want to eat larger meals ever again. Also avoid wheat, soy, fast foods, processed foods, and added sugar like the plague. You won't need to worry about gaining weight ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss