Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 03:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

One other thing I’ve been reading a lot about lately as it pertains to gut health is having a proper Omega 3 and Omega 6 balance.

I’m now convinced that if you have a high ratio of Omega 6 over Omega 3, you are damaging your body, your gut, and ultimately lowering your longevity.

If you are overweight, I think you need to get this imbalance under control and start doing a 1 for 1 balance immediately. I’ve read that it could take well over a year for your body to recover from a big imbalance, which many Americans have right now.

If you are at the perfect weight like I am, this imbalance could still be a problem. I’m the type of guy, I like to eat nuts and seeds, natural peanut butter, almond butter, etc. I don’t eat unhealthy Omega 6 though. Those are all healthy options, and I eat them in moderation, so it’s fine to continue. But I need to balance this with Omega 3’s, which has been a problem for me in the past.

So I now eat salmon twice a week, I also take Cod Liver Oil, too. I’ve also introduced Chia seeds to my diet.I’m also going to give sardines a try, although not sure if I will like them.

I’m not a fan of walnuts, my least favorite nut, but I do eat them a little bit.

I won’t eat any soy, but they are high in Omega 3 too, so I guess vegans can eat them.

But many Americans have a 15 to 1 imbalance or more and it’s literally killing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 09:07 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I recently sent a poop sample off to get my microbiome tested. The company says they will figure out what bacteria and fungus I currently have, and they'll make recommendations on how to encourage beneficial biota. They're taking forever to process the sample (it's been about a month), and they sell probiotics, so I'm a bit worried they'll just tell me to buy their products.

I got my results today; I got a "Fair" rating of 6 out of 10.
They had charts and graphs showing what was in my biota, and what would be healthy. They tested for both beneficial and harmful strains (like c. Diff and e. Coli).

They recommended some of their products (no surprise), but also a lot of generic suggestions, like fish oil and eating more veggies.

It would have been nice if they had described how the various organisms help or hurt, but they gave the names and I can google for more info.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:11 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I had a serious dog bite several weeks ago and had to take an antibiotic for 10 days. During that time I noticed a big change in my stool. No diarrhea but no form. So I started trying out different probiotic products. Probiotic yogurt didn't seem to do anything. A Probiotic capsule, which seemed to be good quality, didn't do much either. So I bought another brand from a different store and within 3 days I noticed a big difference for the better.

Then since they claim the more strains of bacteria you have in your system the better, I went to a vitamin store and bought one with many different strains. But I haven't noticed any change. I've always been in good health, even after the dog bite, so I guess I shouldn't expect to notice any change.

It's very likely I would have recovered to get a better bowel movement if I had not taken any probiotics. I had double pneumonia
when I was 17 and had to take antibiotics. I noticed the same lack of form in stools at that time too but didn't take any probiotics. In time, my stools went back to normal.

Why? Because they say your appendix serves as a reservoir for the bacteria. That being the case, they claim your microbiome would be replenished in about a month.

two things that work GREAT for us -- kefir and capsules of a soil probiotic, bacillus coagulans. also read good things about the other soil probiotics.

the special thing about bacillus coagulans is that they sail right through the stomach acid and get to where they are needed. when they get there they ramp up the good bacteria and tamp down the bad bacteria. truly miraculous

gut science is an emerging miracle - so many chronic conditions can/will be avoided/reversed using gut health science. we have been knocking them out of our family with it...awe inspiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss