Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 08:59 AM

409 posts, read 871,655 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm a 56 yo Male weighing about 210 lbs. I need/want to lose 20 lbs to get to 190 lbs. I recently(End of September and start of November) had eye surgery and the surgeon put me on restrictions afterward of no lifting and no strenuous physical exercise. I should be released of these restrictions by the end of the month or early next month.

For now my physical exercising has been walking, up to an hour a day or so. I've gained some weight in that time frame (I used to be between 200 and 205 lbs.)

As I set my goal and plan for exercise/diet for weight loss I need to figure what is an appropriate/healthy time frame to lose 20 pounds in a way to keep it off. I'm thinking of either three or six months to accomplish this. Which would be better or would a different time frame be appropriate?

Last edited by xxmagex; 12-20-2022 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 09:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
In my opinion it's better not to think about it. Do not concentrate on x time frame for y pounds lost. Just do your best and enjoy the results. Think about health.

Take care.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:44 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Either is fine. It's not about how fast you lose weight, but about having a lifestyle you will stick to long-term. Don't create a roadmap for the next 3-6 months. Create a roadmap for the next 5-10 years.

Exercise is only one part of the equation. The most important factor is how much you eat. You gained weight because you ate like you did when you were physically active but without the physical activity. However, you can lose weight without exercising just by eating less.

Track your calories everyday. Get a food scale or a measuring cup to measure your nuts, cereals, grains/pastas, oils, etc.

To stick to a routine, you need to genuinely enjoy it. If you don't enjoy doing something, you won't stick to it. Eat a variety of foods that you genuinely enjoy eating (at proper portion sizes). Do exercises that you genuinely enjoy doing.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:29 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Changing the way you eat just until you lose 20 lbs is the road to yoyo dieting. Make permanent changes to the way you eat for the rest of your life, and let the weight come off as it will.

The last 5 pounds are much harder than the first, anyway...

Old 12-22-2022, 07:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Everyone is different, but Keto worked for me. I lost 20 pounds in a couple of months. I migrated to a normal diet of just eating less, but Keto is a good place to start. Of course, discuss it with your Doctor in case you have any underlying issues. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:53 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
No time limit, change of permanent eating habits.

Informed it takes 20 minutes to digest. Set a timer, when eating, after a bite, set the utensil down, ie fork, spoon, Before you take another bite. Check yourself, are you sated, if so. Stop eating, even if there's more on the plate/dish.

Started a Thread for Encouragement. Lost 46 pounds over time, started to gain. After the Thread, knowing it was viewed, think of those viewing, keeps me accountable. Losing again !

Thinking of you.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:13 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
As I set my goal and plan for exercise/diet for weight loss I need to figure what is an appropriate/healthy time frame to lose 20 pounds in a way to keep it off. I'm thinking of either three or six months to accomplish this. Which would be better or would a different time frame be appropriate?
Goal is fine.
Plan is fine.
Time frame?..... Maybe not. A permanent weight loss calls for a permanent change. So why diet? Make the change deliberate and permanent. If what you do at first does not work for you, make changes until you find a lifestyle that works and keeps you down to around 190.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
In my opinion it's better not to think about it. Do not concentrate on x time frame for y pounds lost. Just do your best and enjoy the results. Think about health.

Take care.
I would argue this is a male/female difference, putting anumber on it just makes stress/anxiety for many (not all) women, while many (not all) men NEED those numbers to keep the eyes on the prize.

I would say 20 lbs in 3 months is ambitious, but not impossible.
Think of it in terms of weeks, 3 months is 12 weeks. 20 lbs in that time is almost 2 lbs/week.

With the recent eye surgery, I would prioritize keeping on the less strenous side in terms of working out. Dieting can still be done, but the calorie deficit for losing almost 2 lbs weekly and sustaining it is no joke.

I would recommend aiming for 1 lb per week as a start, and after 3 months ramp things up if the OP has the fortitude. Also OP; don't get blinded of success if you lose 5 lbs over night in the beginning. That doesn't continue.

I lost 49~ lbs in 1 year before, (270~to 220~) then a series of events including a long issue with a back injury messed things up quite a bit along with covid restrictions + getting covid etc.

However during that year when I lost almost 1 lb/week on average, it wasn't even. Some of the time I was losing more than 3 lbs in a week, some of the time I was standing still. Not because of bad effort or diet, it just sheds periodically. Patience and sticking to whatever system you chose is the key.
Don't try to sprint it.

Do what feels good in the end. It has to be something you can , at least to a large degree, more or less adopt long term after having reached your goals, otherwise the first thing you do after reaching them is to start losing your progress.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:10 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I want to lose about 45 pounds and decided to try intermittent fasting for a change. I will be working out three days a week, fasting on Tues, Thurs, and Saturday and eating healthy meals the other days. According to a tracker app I have, I should lose about 4 pounds a week and will reach my goal in May, well see.

I have always been very successful at losing weight but have found it is much more difficult as I get older. In my 20's and 30's I would workout 5 days a week, live on chicken and broccoli and I would drop weight drastically. Now that I am 46, that method no longer seems to work for me

Old 01-10-2023, 08:50 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Now that I am 46, that method no longer seems to work for me
How many calories do you eat per day? How many grams of protein do you get in per day?

Quote:
live on chicken and broccoli and I would drop weight drastically
While this is a viable, and maybe even "optimal" diet, the problem that many people run into is that they feel deprived and restricted, and then they end up quitting that diet and going back to their bad eating habits. The 7/10 diet you can stick is better than a 10/10 diet that you don't stick to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss