Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 03:26 PM

310 posts, read 322,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
All of those things can contribute to or cause weight gain. But in medicine, there's a rule: "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras."

That means - rule out the obvious first. The most obvious, AND the most common - is a thyroid issue. If thyroid is the problem, there's no need to search elsewhere.

If it's not the problem, then you test for other things.

Start with the thyroid panel. Let the doctor decide if there's anything further to do, once the results of that come back.
I think keeping an honest food diary for a week should come first with calories counted as well as exercise performed. That would be the horse to me. Plus its helpful to give that information to doctors who then know what you are eating.
The second would be thyroid, which is usually an easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 07:37 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I think keeping an honest food diary for a week should come first with calories counted as well as exercise performed. That would be the horse to me. Plus its helpful to give that information to doctors who then know what you are eating.
The second would be thyroid, which is usually an easy fix.
The OP has already decided that he eats mostly healthy, gets enough exercise, and all of the things that are in his personal control are - accurately controlled.

So I'm ruling that out.

He might be 100% wrong, or lying, or padding the numbers, or miscalculating. But he's made that conscious decision that he's ruling those things out, and wants the next step. The next step is a thyroid panel.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:38 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I know from personal experience it’s easy to under estimate how much you eat. When I got serious about my weight I bought a food scale and literally measured, weighed or counted everything I ate. I know that you get plenty of exercise with hiking so just be positive about your food intake.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:07 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Terry and Lucky hit the nail on the head. Most people grossly underestimate their calorie intake and over estimate their activity levels.

Calorie excess is way out in front as the cause of weight gain, and "hormone problems" are so rare as the cause that they can be ignored unless there are other symptoms of endocrine problems.

Hypothyroidism does not really make you gain weight, but it can make it harder to lose weight. Subtle difference....Cushing's Disease affects fat distribution (centripetal obesity)....Meonopause and the usual weight gain of aging occur coincidentally, but are not related by cause an effect. (If they were, then taking BCPs should make you lose weight, right?)

Old 01-01-2023, 10:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The OP has already decided that he eats mostly healthy, gets enough exercise, and all of the things that are in his personal control are - accurately controlled.

So I'm ruling that out.

He might be 100% wrong, or lying, or padding the numbers, or miscalculating. But he's made that conscious decision that he's ruling those things out, and wants the next step. The next step is a thyroid panel.
She has posted before that she is thinking this might be related to menopause.

And what some people believe is healthy might be a food that someone else limits because too much causes weight gain.

I was talking with 2 of my friends (we're all 64) at the New Year's Eve pot luck table and we were all pointing out which foods we limit or ban entirely to keep from gaining weight. Each of us had a little different strategy.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
https://www.accesalabs.com/Weight-Ga...0weight%20gain.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:31 AM

119 posts, read 71,785 times
You could be prediabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss