Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 09:55 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

I saw a meme recently that said something like "you eat several times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so not every meal or food has to be a perfect nutritional slam dunk." Life happens, there are vacations and celebrations and stressful times, and you don't have to think of eating for comfort or for fun as being "bad." Most times your body needs lean protein and fiber and healthy fats, but other times your body and soul needs pancakes. It can all work. And even telling yourself that you're allowed to have these foods doesn't put them on a pedestal, so there's no urgency to binge because they're not forbidden.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:22 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, and most people don't want to live a joyless existence, so the occasional slice of birthday cake or big honking margarita makes life interesting. I've been liking the idea of "nutrition by addition" lately, so if you're craving pizza or pasta or chips, what can you add to those foods to add fiber, color, nutrition, etc? You don't have to restrict and deny to get where you want to be.

It's all a matter of perception though.

Sticking rigidly to something that you think is joyless might in and of itself be someone else's joy.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:28 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
My best advice is to try different eating plans, and stick with one that works for you; you should like the food and lose weight/improve whatever metric you are trying to change.

While I do well on low carb, you might do better with a low fat plan, or vegan, or paleo, or something else entirely.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
My best advice- stay active. Walk somewhere to get some blood moving. Use your gym membership.

As one ages the metabolism slows. NO person is going to stay the same "high school" weight.

North Americans have an obsession with being thin, which is kind of sick. In some cultures being overly skinny is equated with being unhealthy (disease or not eating properly.) What is considered attractive in one culture can be a total turn off in every way for peoples of another culture. Your body will find its healthy normal weight with correct diet and ample activity.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:44 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
My best advice:
1) eat healthy fats as your primary calorie source
2) eat healthy vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, onions, mushrooms
3) Intermittent fasting
4) Don't eat any processed foods or carbs such as sugar, bread, etc. or anything artificial such as sweenteners

Old 03-27-2023, 11:37 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
My best advice- stay active. Walk somewhere to get some blood moving. Use your gym membership.

As one ages the metabolism slows. NO person is going to stay the same "high school" weight.

North Americans have an obsession with being thin, which is kind of sick. In some cultures being overly skinny is equated with being unhealthy (disease or not eating properly.) What is considered attractive in one culture can be a total turn off in every way for peoples of another culture. Your body will find its healthy normal weight with correct diet and ample activity.
Exactly, to your point on activity and keeping it going.

Being thin doesn't necessarily have to be an obsession. It should just be an attitude. The important objective is just keeping your weight down as far as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss