Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 01:00 AM

7,305 posts, read 5,189,207 times

Advertisements

Malloric gives some very good, practical advice....Many diet failures are due to an underestmation of how much you're really eating.

Another source of failure is that you're really an "easy keeper" and can maintain body weight on much lower calorie intake than is considered normal. Those tend to be the T2 diabetics &/or have Metabolic Syndrome.

The general rule of thumb is that it take 10 cal per day to maintain one pound of body weight..To lose weight, take in fewer calories than that.....A 2000 cal diet should maintain a 200 lb weight for the average person (non-athlete/not a manual laborer)

While it's true that carbs stimulate insulin secretion, which stimulates fat storage, and that fat in the diet signals no need to store more fat & suppresses appetite, the most important factor in weight loss is simply to eat fewer calories, regrdless of source.

As noted on other threads-- exercise does little to make you lose weight, but it's a great way to prevent further weight gain....It takes 8 hrs of very hard exercise to burn off one lb of fat, but one hour of exercise means you can eat an extra 500 cal without gaining any fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 01:10 AM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times
You might want to explore this website. Plethora of very useful tips that are not too outlandish to follow:
(with calorie count and nutritional value)

https://www.eatthis.com/

https://www.eatthis.com/weight-loss/

If you eat out, here is an useful guide:

https://www.eatthis.com/healthy-eating/
It will show you the most unhealthy and most healthy items you could order from the menu. Most common restaurant chains. Fast food.

For example Olive Garden:
https://www.eatthis.com/healthy-oliv...en-menu-items/

Or what salads NOT to eat:
https://www.eatthis.com/unhealthy-restaurant-salads/

Food substitutes:
https://www.eatthis.com/healthy-food-substitutes/

Then look at the grocery tips.
Exercises etc...

Another website with great guides:
https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ea...stead-of-that/
Enjoy!

Last edited by elnina; 03-13-2023 at 01:25 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 06:04 AM

17,443 posts, read 16,615,018 times
For me, it's lean protein paired with a non starchy vegetable like broccoli, brussels sprouts. Eggs. I'll swap out breakfast for a mug of seasoned bone broth.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:07 AM

17,443 posts, read 16,615,018 times
Exercise/strength training changes your body composition so that clothes fit better and you feel great.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:11 AM

50,409 posts, read 64,151,599 times
A typical day for me, if I’m counting calories is:
Thin slice Dave’s Killer Bread toasted, topped with a fried egg. (168 calories)
Tuna pouch, tomato, apple (285)
Snack, hard boiled egg or 2 oz of cheese (100-200 calls)
Dinner, 4-6 oz of meat or fish, as many vegetables as I want, including small baked potato. Prepared any way, you will still be under 2000 calories.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:30 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Malloric gives some very good, practical advice....Many diet failures are due to an underestmation of how much you're really eating.
The danger with that is that many people tend to overcompensate by not eating enough during the day under the guise of being "good," and then end up binging at night. There's a balance between not overeating, but also giving yourself enough filling, satisfying meals and snacks to keep yourself going all day without deprivation.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:57 PM

50,409 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The danger with that is that many people tend to overcompensate by not eating enough during the day under the guise of being "good," and then end up binging at night. There's a balance between not overeating, but also giving yourself enough filling, satisfying meals and snacks to keep yourself going all day without deprivation.
So true. It’s really surprising how little protein it takes to stick with you for hours, but you can eat carbs all day, and you’re still hungry all the time.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:42 PM

21,911 posts, read 25,236,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So true. It’s really surprising how little protein it takes to stick with you for hours, but you can eat carbs all day, and you’re still hungry all the time.
We're pretty dissociated from hunger nowadays. Is it really hunger or just wanting that dopamine hit that fires off in the reward center of your brain when you get the Doritos? Are you actually hungry or just bored? Are you actually hungry or you just got bombarded. We're all basically Pavlov's dogs salivating to marketing bells nowadays. You can intellectually know that but the conditioned response doesn't care what you intellectually know. It's going in 2:00 now. Honestly I'm not sure. I think I might be hungry since its a bit later in the day than I normally go before eating but I also have a bit of down time until a 2 o'clock meeting so I might also just be bored. I'm definitely not ravenous, maybe a bit peckish or maybe just bored. I'll survive until 4 or whenever the meeting ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss