Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:58 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered this. Makes sense to me, but many today - particularly proponents of intermittent and extended fasting - insist that it's not a thing. I adhered to 23/1 OMAD for about a year (lost ten pounds, plateaued for months, went to 2MAD and gained them all back), and I would swear it permanently slowed my metabolism. What would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 01:09 PM

483 posts, read 354,201 times
In my experience fasting needs to be combined with a sustained low-carb diet and exercise to have a lasting effect. If you only lost 10 pounds over a year I'm guessing a lot of that was temporary water loss.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Not quite the same thing, but a recent study showed that being overweight may permanently rewire how your brain reacts to food, which could contribute to why weight loss is hard to maintain for some people: https://www.webmd.com/obesity/news/2...e-to-nutrients

Old 07-25-2023, 09:36 AM

...not to mention menopause. It's been virtually impossible for me to lose weight ever since, and I gained about 30 pounds after being naturally thin all my life. All tests are normal, except for high triglycerides ("metabolic syndrome").

I'm seriously considering liposuction since it's all in my abdomen (some central/visceral obesity but mostly subcutaneous fat).

And, yes, apparently you have to a) cut calories and/or b) eliminate carbs to lose weight, which tells me that IF doesn't work for weight loss. That's simply a diet, which people have been using for eons.

So IF alone for weight loss is a lie!

Old 07-26-2023, 04:02 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've always wondered this. Makes sense to me, but many today - particularly proponents of intermittent and extended fasting - insist that it's not a thing. I adhered to 23/1 OMAD for about a year (lost ten pounds, plateaued for months, went to 2MAD and gained them all back), and I would swear it permanently slowed my metabolism. What would you say?
I think starvation mode is when fasting hits around the 72 hour mark.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:47 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Not only did it permanently slow my metabolism (and make the weight come back quickly) there are several you tube channels of people who got gastroperisis.

My guess is that we are all different.. some people have a high enough metabolism from the start to keep starvation mode from never happening.

The rest of us don't. And after every diet, our metabolism lowers more and more. In fact, this is my theory on why 50% of people are fat. They started a diet, they dropped their metabolism... they dieting again, metabolism drop. Essentially they were training their bodies to become more efficent with food.

If you start your life at 6'4 and are male you could have a TDEE of 3000 cals. But if you are a women who is 5'3 your TDEE could start at 1700 cals. But no one ever takes that into consideration.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:09 AM

I agree. There are two things the older women I ask (because I do know and informally poll them) tell me is the key to their success in remaining thin. They never took HRT and they eat very little. Again, if you've lowered your metabolism, you basically can't even eat your normal daily allotment of calories without gaining weight or, in our case, regaining.

The theory of IF is that every hour beyond about 16 that you don't eat, your body is burning your fat stores for fuel. Perhaps, but you're also slowing down your engine.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
I agree. There are two things the older women I ask (because I do know and informally poll them) tell me is the key to their success in remaining thin. They never took HRT and they eat very little. Again, if you've lowered your metabolism, you basically can't even eat your normal daily allotment of calories without gaining weight or, in our case, regaining.

The theory of IF is that every hour beyond about 16 that you don't eat, your body is burning your fat stores for fuel. Perhaps, but you're also slowing down your engine.
For the record, I personally do not believe in the Keto or Intermittent fasting thing at all. As you pointed out, short term you may lose some weight - but a lot of it is water. The best thing is just to cut down on carbs; and by that I don't mean super low carb but just fewer carbs, more protein and fat, and get some exercise. This is what works for me, and I am now 73 and a good healthy weight for my height and I actually have a half-way decent shape (although a lil too much belly, lol)

Old 08-07-2023, 06:11 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
For the record, I personally do not believe in the Keto or Intermittent fasting thing at all. As you pointed out, short term you may lose some weight - but a lot of it is water. The best thing is just to cut down on carbs; and by that I don't mean super low carb but just fewer carbs, more protein and fat, and get some exercise. This is what works for me, and I am now 73 and a good healthy weight for my height and I actually have a half-way decent shape (although a lil too much belly, lol)
They're just calorie restriction by another means.

Seems silly to me to do keto or IMF, but whatever works for you is what works for you. I like to eat twice a day and when I need to lose weight what I do is I eat meat and non-starchy vegetables most of the time and crack down on my junk intake, my beer intake. I do really love a good steak, one of those 40 oz porterhouses from a steakhouse? That's mine. Back off. I wouldn't be able to get fat eating steak. As much as I do enjoy it, if that's all I could eat was Peterson's crazy carnivore diet of beef and salt I would lose weight.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:17 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
I thought the benefit of fasting was for blood sugar/diabetes, not for weight loss.

Obviously if you fast and don't make up the meal, you would reduce calories, but that is not what I am talking about.

If you eat 15,000 calories a week, fasting or not fasting, then what is the difference toward weight loss? I'm not seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss