Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,494 times

Advertisements

I am 31 and have noticed in the last 2 months or so a difference in my skin. I already had mild rosacea in my cheeks but didn't mind because it gave me a little glow but it is different now. It looks more red and my pores have increased.

I have been stressed due to mental health issues, insomnia and decreased income but I don't think it should look this bad. Luckily I have makeup if I want to cover it but I like feeling like I don't have to wear it.
Also, the bags/purpleish color under my eyes looks a little worse.

I am sure it's inflammation but don't know what to do about it. I recently got a face wash and overnight moisturizing mask as well as moisturizer from Clinique (where I got the makeup). I feel like the pores have become worse since starting this but not by much. I don't wear the makeup often because I am lazy and my face gets itchy/feels suffocated although I am guessing that is normal.

I want to try intuitive eating (eating when I am actually hungry and just knowing what nutrition you need). I have been told by a psychic with medical intuitive abilities that I just can't eat like most people- that I have to eat less often and not overeat at meals, and also that if I calmed down and cleared my mind I would know what nutrition I need.

Until I can calm down and clear my mind...what do I eat? I am planning on fasting/eating once a day until my appetite comes back but I don't know if that will happen and am not sure if fasting is best in my situation. But since I can't eat too much I can probably get away with eating more quality foods.

Give me some ideas of foods that are healthy for the skin. I felt like my skin looked good about 5 months ago when I was eating more seafood and more fruits and vegetables. Remember, I can't eat too much (that may be part of the problem actually).

I am sure the stress is not helping either. I am working on bringing more balance into my life and decreasing stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 09:24 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
You can get 10% Azelaic Acid over the counter. To get 15% see your dermatologist. They also recommend IPL for it. It can just increase with age. So, just go see a dermatologist.

Eat the diet you know works for yourself.

Maybe an anti-inflammatory diet? I guess research it.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You can get 10% Azelaic Acid over the counter. To get 15% see your dermatologist. They also recommend IPL for it. It can just increase with age. So, just go see a dermatologist.

Eat the diet you know works for yourself.

Maybe an anti-inflammatory diet? I guess research it.
I am not sure it's rosacea because I don't have raised spots or pimple-like bumps. It is just more red and the skin quality looks worse with bigger and more visible pores. I have 50 SPF but I keep forgetting to use it. It's the middle of winter here but I know you are supposed to use it all the time.

I wish I could afford something like IPL but I don't make a lot of money and am on Medicaid. Even if I received health insurance from my job I would not be able to afford it.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaostheory8 View Post
I am not sure it's rosacea because I don't have raised spots or pimple-like bumps. It is just more red and the skin quality looks worse with bigger and more visible pores. I have 50 SPF but I keep forgetting to use it. It's the middle of winter here but I know you are supposed to use it all the time.

I wish I could afford something like IPL but I don't make a lot of money and am on Medicaid. Even if I received health insurance from my job I would not be able to afford it.
I get the Azelaic Acid pretty cheap with the dermatologist's prescription. I have not sprung for IPL yet either. You should be able to see a dermatologist with Medicaid. Mine is like yours, just some redness is all. But, I guess left untreated it can get worse.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:17 PM

I also bought redermic r anti aging retinol cream. la Roche posay brand. I don't use it often but I have been using it more the last few days but honestly I started noticing the decreased appearance in my skin 2 months ago before the retinol cream.

Thanks for the info on azelastine. It might be worth a try.

I've also been losing hair moreso than usual and can feel that it's a lot thinner when I put it into a ponytail.

Last edited by Chaostheory8; 12-22-2023 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I also bought redermic r anti aging retinol cream. la Roche posay brand. I don't use it often but I have been using it more the last few days but honestly I started noticing the decreased appearance in my skin 2 months ago before the retinol cream.

Thanks for the info on azelastine. It might be worth a try.

I've also been losing hair moreso than usual and can feel that it's a lot thinner when I put it into a ponytail.

I agree with your plan to eat one meal a day. You need to get, at your age, probably 45 grams of protein. Without protein your hair will fall out. I do think, through Medicaid, you should be able to see the appropriate physicians or dieticians to help you with this. You can get good high-quality protein very affordably (think eggs and high protein low carb yogurt or cottage cheese, etc.). I don't have to tell you all that. Basically eat Real Food and drink water.

I use Retin A and have done so for most of the last 30 years (since turning 30). The Azelaic Acid is different, and I would use it in the morning while the Retin A is nighttime.

Also, watch Dr. Dray on YouTube. She's a board-certified dermatologist that is a very good teacher / explainer. You can search on her name and whatever topic you want, and she likely has a video on it.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
OP, have you eaten anything different lately? Mine flared up with a new rash after I ate yogurt. It took forever for the rash to go away.

I agree with eating more protein, for me I'm avoiding yogurt but focusing on eggs and meat.

And yes, stress is a huge factor.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:01 PM

My diet is poor right now. I do regularly have dairy and more often than in the past. I crave sugar and carbs, and often overeat.

I was also thinking of trying to focus on meat, maybe eggs, and vegetables. So it is working for you?

I say maybe eggs because they made me feel sick as a child so I am thinking of omitting them and will try them again later.

I over focus on food in general, and worry about my health a lot (although focusing on health is not bad imo).

Old 12-23-2023, 12:41 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It sounds like you are all over the place, bouncing from one idea to another.

First, go to a dermatologist. Ask them if you should have a food sensitivities test, and how to get one. Many foods cause the symptoms you describe. For me, for example, it’s cheese and red wine.

Drink a lot of water. No soda.

Before you find out for sure what foods might not agree with you, just stop flour and sugar.

Old 12-23-2023, 01:06 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
I am not sure it's rosacea because I don't have raised spots or pimple-like bumps. It is just more red and the skin quality looks worse with bigger and more visible pores.
Rosacea progresses if it isn't controlled, it is lifelong, and it can affect your eyes. You may be in a milder stage right now that doesn't include raised pustules or papules. It may just show the characteristic skin redness, some stinging or itch. Unfortunately, those types of symptoms aren't unique to rosacea, so the logical first step is to get an actual diagnosis. Why waste your time, money, and the health of your skin futzing around in the dark? You could be doing more harm than good. Don't forget that finding out what is actually going on and taking control of that portion of your life following an appropriate course of treatment does play a role in stress reduction. Your MD may be able to find you a less expensive option for a topical (mine has been Metronidazole) that will actually do something productive. Rosacea can cause permanent damage that is much harder if not impossible to reverse.

A dermatologist diagnosed mine during an appointment for an unrelated issue (mole removal). I hadn't even heard the name and had no idea, but like you didn't mind what I assumed was color from working outdoors in all weather. Now when I happen to see old photos of myself it is very obvious what was going on. I've been religious about using sunscreen and/or moisturizer year round ever since.

The point is to avoid flushing incidents that lead to capillary damage. Remember the old stereotypic descriptions of drunks including permanent redness, obvious spider veins, and lumpy bulging nose and face? That wasn't due to alcohol, it was due to neglected rosacea.

Your skin flushes when it's cold too, not just hot, so you need to protect from that. Heat, sweating, sun, cold, emotional upset all create flushing. When I'm out in very cold winter weather I wear a scarf so I can shield my face from the worst of it, again to avoid that flush response. Since using the topical antibiotic I can't even remember the last time I've had a flare. Now that it's controlled, I don't need to apply the topical as frequently as the med directs so my prescriptions last much longer. My diet really hasn't changed much over the years but there are some obvious things you can change to avoid inflammatory responses. Diet changes may not be enough to get control over it right now, but if you get an actual diagnosis and start taking control you can get to the point it may not need to be that dramatic. I'd avoid using other OTC concoctions until you get a diagnosis. They could do more harm than good or mask symptoms making a bona fide diagnosis that much harder. Rosacea is one of those incurable (but controllable), common but annoying health problems every Tom, Dick and Harry claims to have a cure for. There are lots of quack remedies out there. Be careful.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20353820

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-23-2023 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss