Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who is hungry almost all the time. Although, first thing in the morning the *last* think I want to even think about is food, starting around 1 pm I start getting hungry and stay hungry pretty much until I go to bed at night.

I try to "snack" on healthy things like raw veggies, but that doesn't even seem to put the slightest dent in it. Finally, I get so hungry by, say 3:00 or so, I am really quite desperate and frantic and end up going to McDonalds or Taco Bell. Once in a while I will pack a lunch but sometimes, even after eating a sandwich (with a few chips), more raw veggies, and a granola bar for desert, in less than an hour or two I am starving again and almost always end up making a "run" to a fast-food joint.

The funny thing is that after I eat at one of these places, I am not hungry again for HOURS. Sometimes I cannot even eat dinner because I still feel so full from lunch even four or five hours later!

I drink lots of water and also other liquids to try to "feel full", but if anything else, they just make me more hungry. I find that I cannot even go to sleep (even when exhausted), without eating something first because being hungry will keep me awake.

I am about 50 pounds overweight, I am fairly physically active, but I am just eating too much food during the day.

Any ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM

62 posts, read 159,813 times
It sounds to me like you're eating too many carbs and not enough protein and fat.

You eat raw veggies and granola bars (veggies have almost no protein or fat...both of which are very satiating, and granola bars are loaded with sugar, which can cause hunger), and so it's no wonder you're ravished by 3pm every day!

You need to eat good-quality protein and good fats. Instead of granola bars, eat nuts or peanut butter. Also, get some fat in you to fill you up...avocadoes, oil-based salad dressings (canola or soybean oil is best). And eat more protein in the form of fish and white-meat chicken.

People need protein and fat to stay satiated. Loading up on carbs (even good carbs, like veggies) doesn't fill you up. And stay away from sugar...you probably have a sensitivity to it.

A little cheese is always good too. It's healthy (in moderation), and it's filling.

The reason the fast food fills you up is because it's loaded with fat and protein (assuming you're ordering hamburgers or beef tacos). Just replace the fast food with healthier fats and protein from healthier sources, and you should be fine!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
My Dh and I have been "dieting" together for 2 weeks now. Everyone is different. He likes 3 bigger meals and I like smaller meals because it keeps me full and I never(well almost) feel like I'm hungry. Here is a sample of my day. Remember I'm not saying this is the best or most healthy but it works for me.

8:00 am
B- 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal, 1 cup strawberries, and 1/2 skim milk

11:00am
Two egg whites and fruit

2:00pm
Big salad with low fat Feta with olive oil and vinegar dressing stuffed in 1/2 whole wheat pita and maybe a cup of homemade veggie, spinach, bean, and brown rice soup

4:00pm
If I don't have soup at lunch I have it now. Or I have a piece of fruit.

6:00
2-3 ounces of fish or poultry and 1 cup of veggies.
or
veggie burger with veggies
or
2 ounces of pasta with tomatoes and mushrooms and cheese and 1 cup veggies

Dessert- 1/4 cup cottage cheese with 1 cup strawberries and cinnamon

I am counting calories. Right now until I am more active(in the spring) I am eating 1200. So if I have extra calories for the day I snack on bagged cereal, peanut butter and an apple, yogurt, or chocolate fudgesicles(very good and only 40 calories).

So far I have lost 5 pounds in almost 2 weeks and I'm not starving although I do think about food all the time, lol.

Good luck. You can do it. Make your lunch and pre make snacks for work this way you won't be tempted by fast food.

Lisa

Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,533 times
Drink water when you are hungry, The human body often confuses dehydration for hungry.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am one of those people who is hungry almost all the time. Although, first thing in the morning the *last* think I want to even think about is food, starting around 1 pm I start getting hungry and stay hungry pretty much until I go to bed at night.

I try to "snack" on healthy things like raw veggies, but that doesn't even seem to put the slightest dent in it. Finally, I get so hungry by, say 3:00 or so, I am really quite desperate and frantic and end up going to McDonalds or Taco Bell. Once in a while I will pack a lunch but sometimes, even after eating a sandwich (with a few chips), more raw veggies, and a granola bar for desert, in less than an hour or two I am starving again and almost always end up making a "run" to a fast-food joint.

The funny thing is that after I eat at one of these places, I am not hungry again for HOURS. Sometimes I cannot even eat dinner because I still feel so full from lunch even four or five hours later!

I drink lots of water and also other liquids to try to "feel full", but if anything else, they just make me more hungry. I find that I cannot even go to sleep (even when exhausted), without eating something first because being hungry will keep me awake.

I am about 50 pounds overweight, I am fairly physically active, but I am just eating too much food during the day.

Any ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Yeah...your stomach is simply used to being full. Your brain doesn't know what hunger is anymore - it only knows NOT BEING FULL. You have TRAINED it be like this. That's one of the main problems SO many people have. They no longer know the difference. Heck I don't ever eat by the clock anymore. I eat ONLY when I am hungry. And I ONLY eat enough to satisfy the hunger - I can no longer eat so much that I feel full - I can't stand that bloated full feeling anymore.

You need to write down a mean plan for a week. One that you know is healthy, and has the proper calories and nutrition - not junk. Write it down. Heck post it here. We'll give you pointers and improvements. And then FOLLOW it. When you get hungry, and you will, because you have to retrain your stomach and your brain, then you drink water. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

You can do this, and the first 2 weeks WILL be the hardest. I guarantee it. But once you are through that, and you've stuck with it, you'll find you have a much easier time. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah...your stomach is simply used to being full. Your brain doesn't know what hunger is anymore - it only knows NOT BEING FULL. You have TRAINED it be like this. That's one of the main problems SO many people have. They no longer know the difference. Heck I don't ever eat by the clock anymore. I eat ONLY when I am hungry. And I ONLY eat enough to satisfy the hunger - I can no longer eat so much that I feel full - I can't stand that bloated full feeling anymore.

You need to write down a mean plan for a week. One that you know is healthy, and has the proper calories and nutrition - not junk. Write it down. Heck post it here. We'll give you pointers and improvements. And then FOLLOW it. When you get hungry, and you will, because you have to retrain your stomach and your brain, then you drink water. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

You can do this, and the first 2 weeks WILL be the hardest. I guarantee it. But once you are through that, and you've stuck with it, you'll find you have a much easier time. Good luck.
Well, maybe you are right, but it certainly FEELS like hunger. I mean my stomach is growling and I have a headache and I feel like I am starving and my blood sugar is so low that I get those frantic "I'VE GOT TO EAT NOW!!!" feelings, and my hands shake. Also, sometimes I am so hungry that I feel nauseous - if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'll work on a plan to post.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Well, maybe you are right, but it certainly FEELS like hunger. I mean my stomach is growling and I have a headache and I feel like I am starving and my blood sugar is so low that I get those frantic "I'VE GOT TO EAT NOW!!!" feelings, and my hands shake. Also, sometimes I am so hungry that I feel nauseous - if that makes any sense.

20yrsinBranson
That's your brain doing that. Honest. Been there, done that. You just need the discipline to retrain yourself. You'll have to be strong and determined. This isn't an easy thing to do. But I've done it, and I've helped countless others do it - I'm a fitness mentor where I work.

Pretty sure you can do it too. Feel free to DM me when you post it and I'll check it out.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Really that is a baby version of detox. I am not even kidding. The veggies are cleaning you out. Any change in diet will make you feel "weird". I too occasionally will get the sweaty palms or nausea. I find water or a piece of fruit (bananas are my fav) really fix me up. Burning fat makes you nauseated.

BUT

Have you ever been tested for diabetes? If not you should check that out before you diet just because you don't feel good.

Once you know if thats alright I would suggest some fat in with your snacks.
Greek yogurt (unflavored/unsweetened) mixed with a some dry dressing packets make a great low cal dip for those veggies. It tastes like sour cream alone. Try some of that with your veggie dipping and make some meat rolls on toothpicks to dip too. I dont know what your weight is but make sure you are eating enough. Or start out a little higher calorie. It also helps with the nausea if you bump up your food intake 200 cals 3 days out of the week.

McDonalds and food like that can additives that can make you feel addicted just like coffee can too. The longer you stay away the cravings will weaken.

You get a lot of water from food too. So that was a major adjustment for me. I am not naturally a water person and it strait up annoyed me how much more water I needed when I was eating less food. Dehydration can make you shakey and nauseated too. But get that blood sugar checked!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,480 times
Hello! I have the same problem. Not hungry in the morning, but starving from lunch till bedtime! Grrr! So annoying! I do find that when I eat a filling high protein low sugar breakfast I do much better. No headache or stomach grumblings. Try it. Egg beaters, toast, and fruit. Or cottage cheese, fruit, and toast. Uhmmm lets see what else....low sugar yogurt and eggs. A low sugar ceral and low fat milk.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 AM

931 posts, read 3,804,533 times
I think you need to start the new acai berry-green tea infused triple bacon cheeseburger diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss