Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times

Advertisements

While channel surfing awhile back came across a commercial for the Oprah Winfrey show...."never diet again" was said and of course it peaked my interest.
I watched the show, and thought- if the richest woman in the world has found this book helpful, then why not try it? So I purchased 2 and had one shipped to my daughter stationed overseas. She's not fat but she's been eating alot since she got there-stress, boredom, homesickness- you name it!

And I kept one. Well, my daughter read it and skyped me yesterday to say she's lost 11 pounds since reading the book about a month ago...and she's NOT dieting.

I've not read my copy but passed it, and the bit about Oprah and my daughter's success, to my sister who is over 200 pounds.

Just wanted to share this info....get the book from your library if you can.
And come back to this thread to let us know if it has worked for you, or not.
Oh, the book- Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth. Here's a clip from the show-
Women, Food, and God - Oprah.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Here's a quote from the site:

" Oprah says. But after all these years, Oprah says she's finally found the answer. "I have come across something so profound that I think [to everybody] who's ever felt that it's a losing battle, here is an opportunity to win. This has literally broken me open when it comes to my relationship with food, because if you struggle with your weight, what we're about to share with you today might be actually the first time in your life that you begin to understand the real reasons you are fat and allow those reasons to be a miracle for your life."

Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
It appears to me that this book is geared towards the emotional eaters. Personally I have never had that problem, but it seems quite common among women.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Sounds great, but what is the approach with this non-diet?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I have read MANY books on diet and weight loss, including a couple of Geneen Roth's previous books. I even attended one of her workshops a few years ago. None of it really helped until now. Her newest book, "Women Food and God" struck me in a way no previous book ever did. For people who are emotional eaters or may have never gotten down to the core of what their problem is, I can't recommend it enough.

Between this book and the fact that I am motivated to get out of the physical pain I've been in recently, I have gone back to Weight Watchers and been able thus far to follow the program while journaling about my emotional issues and going through various tests and doctor appointments to help get to the root of my pain. I find what's most important during this journey is to constantly reinforce myself with positive thoughts. It would be so easy to get discouraged and depressed and give up too soon, but I'm NOT doing it this time. I've already wasted too much of my life.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
every time she wants to make another million she hypes another diet... Don't look now but she apparently has no clue about her weight. She is a yo-yo dieter and is laying the ground work for heart issues.

If you want to be thin, do what thin people do... does following an overweight person make sense?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 AM

127 posts, read 277,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
every time she wants to make another million she hypes another diet... Don't look now but she apparently has no clue about her weight. She is a yo-yo dieter and is laying the ground work for heart issues.

If you want to be thin, do what thin people do... does following an overweight person make sense?
thin people can have eating disorders as well.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,224 times
There would be no need to diet if one eats the right foods to begin with.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:04 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

I see where you're coming from. A while back I remember saying to someone, "She needs to just.... stop talking." (When it comes to the topic of weight.)

BUT... this isn't Oprah talking. It's Geneen Roth. I don't mind at all if she invites real experts on her show, who have actually mastered their weight and know what they're talking about. That's fine with me.

Now if Oprah herself were preaching again... that's when I'd be rolling my eyes and changing the channel.

And by the way, I just bought the book. I'm not completely finished with it yet, but I've been incorporating her methods into my calorie counting method. I also like how the author talks about the two different kinds of compulsive eaters - the Permitters and the Restrictors. It's toward the back of the book. So, so true. It really helps to explain the mindset behind why different people eat too much and yo-yo diet. I am definitely a Permitter. LOL Geneen, herself, is a restrictor. It's a good read, definitely.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
While channel surfing awhile back came across a commercial for the Oprah Winfrey show...."never diet again" was said and of course it peaked my interest.
I watched the show, and thought- if the richest woman in the world has found this book helpful, then why not try it? So I purchased 2 and had one shipped to my daughter stationed overseas. She's not fat but she's been eating alot since she got there-stress, boredom, homesickness- you name it!

And I kept one. Well, my daughter read it and skyped me yesterday to say she's lost 11 pounds since reading the book about a month ago...and she's NOT dieting.

I've not read my copy but passed it, and the bit about Oprah and my daughter's success, to my sister who is over 200 pounds.

Just wanted to share this info....get the book from your library if you can.
And come back to this thread to let us know if it has worked for you, or not.
Oh, the book- Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth. Here's a clip from the show-
Women, Food, and God - Oprah.com
Somehow, I can not rely on Oprah for weight loss. She is not my role-model in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss