Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,085,653 times

Advertisements

Did you enjoy helping the dog(s) out? Did you eventually keep (him or her) as pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,080,874 times
I have on several occasions, taken in lost starving ragged collarless strays, kept them for a little while and found nice homes for them. I just rescued a parrot from a pet shop and am selling him to a neighbor. He was a problem bird and kept getting returned to the shop because of behavior issues.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,754,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Did you enjoy helping the dog(s) out? Did you eventually keep (him or her) as pet?
Yes I have.
it's always great to help the dogs BUT if you plan on actively fostering it can tear at your heart strings cause eventually they need to go to their forever homes..you can't keep them all.

No I didn't keep my foster, it was a stop in the road for her on her way to her forever home

Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,848,570 times
I think fostering a dog is somegthing beautiful. I've never fostered any dogs though, because I don't think I would be able to give them away...

Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,531,320 times
I have fostered many Katrina animals dogs and cats still got one cat waiting to go home as know owner but medical reasons he is not home yet. It is hard to let go but knowing they are going to a better home than where came from is great and updates from people help alot. We have one in town here we fostered and great dog with them and still remembers us when stop by. I got one of my hounds and 2 cats this way also.
Think in total we had 4 cat fosters 2 we adopted 1 still here that has home if he ever leaves and fostered 7 dogs and 2 of these we did heartworm treatment on before got forever homes. Cost money to do it but takes more love than anything.We got the problem dogs skin infections and such that were so ugly nobody wanted them til cleared up and looked better, dogs that were so scared they denned up and had to lead out of house to go potty and back in,(2 weeks for one pretty fast) and this one when took to forever home broke my heart as he just looked at me when handed him over like why? Brought tears to this guy's eyes but they said he is doing great and is part of family.

Is it heart breaking? YES!! Is it worth it? If you are a true animal lover the benefits of knowing they get great homes outweigh any cost that you put into them and the heartbreak when they leave. We had one foster here almost a year before got his home,cat here 2 years now and had 1 cat come back we had to put down after here 2 months.

Will I ever do it again? YES, as plan on making my own boarding kennel/no kill shelter so unwanted pets lost or abused can feel loved again til find the perfect home.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've fostered many dogs, only one did I almost keep but ended up finding a good home and still keep up with her progress.....it's so rewarding to know you have helped an animal....I've done it so much and became so attached I now buy things in bulk and send them to their new home with a bowl treat bag and toy.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 PM

98 posts, read 454,343 times
I've often heard it said that fostering a dog or cat saves TWO lives: the one of the animal you took into your home, and the one who is spared because you opened up a spot at the shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs