Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if my ten week old GSD could need some new food. She has Giardia and will be on medicine tomorrow, and is getting Diamond large breed puppy food. Any suggestions on a better food for her or what. She has pretty extrememe diarrhea, but, a huge appetite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM

482 posts, read 875,132 times
Find Snofarmer and ask him. Get away from Diamond, just my opinion. I also never feed large breed but my dogs are much larger than your so it might be appropriate in your instance.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
First things first.
We need to get a handle on that diarrhea and Giardia .

A few spoon fulls of Pumpkin and or feed rice with some boiled hamburger
until we see a good stool.

A few on here use pumpkin (out of a can) to help control Diarrhea but I don't know if they continue with there regular diet or not.

We use the rice with boiled hamburger.

The food your feedeing is not tha cause of the Giardia and changing foods will further aggravate the gut.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM

Sno- do you feed your puppies large breed? We do not because of the cal/phos ratio being off in the higher protein dog foods. I feed a 24% protein 20% fat very high quality food.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Tell us what the Vet is giving you for the giardia. I have a personal favorite I use but want to see what your Vet gives you. In my opinion the 5 day treatment is better than the 3 day, too. That stuff gets in your ground so if possible you need to clean up poop. I am lucky that these days I don't see giardia anymore because my breeder is great and I rarely purchase any dogs anymore.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
step away from the "large breed puppy" food, a GOOD food doesnt need to change for size/breed or age (lord knwos it wouldnt in a natural diet)
DIamond only makes 1 GOOD line and thats diamond NATURALS...allthe other diamond products are junk...

but otherwise agree with everyhting else said, changing foods will not help the giardia...

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
I'm more concerned with the diarrhea and Giardia.

Than the great food debate.

Dogs as with people, food requirements change as we grow into adulthood.
The argument of this food is junk and this one is the best is personal.
I've seen healthy dogs that live to a ripe old age eating Ole"Roy.
While others feed all raw food or a gourmet brand with wiled caught salmon & buffalo or duck and potato or you could make slop like the mushers do and throw them chunks of road kill.

Any top shelf dry kibble will be just fine. It will contain all the vitamins and minerals and have more than sufficient protein.

Our Puppies get Eukanuba large /grande puppy food and before that we make gruel with Purina's caned puppy food and whole milk.
We also recommend a couple of spoon fulls of cottage cheese for added calcium for any large breed.
The adults get Purina pro plain adult.
Pregnant dogs get supplemental food consisting of meat and cooked eggs.

A puppy will eat more than a adult in the wiled they also seem to chew on the bones a lot. It must be because of their different nutritional needs of the growing pup.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Agree totally about handling the giardia first. Yuck.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
Tell us what the Vet is giving you for the giardia. I have a personal favorite I use but want to see what your Vet gives you. In my opinion the 5 day treatment is better than the 3 day, too. That stuff gets in your ground so if possible you need to clean up poop. I am lucky that these days I don't see giardia anymore because my breeder is great and I rarely purchase any dogs anymore.

I got five days of Panacur for her.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
step away from the "large breed puppy" food, a GOOD food doesnt need to change for size/breed or age (lord knwos it wouldnt in a natural diet)
DIamond only makes 1 GOOD line and thats diamond NATURALS...allthe other diamond products are junk...

but otherwise agree with everyhting else said, changing foods will not help the giardia...

Good, we are feeding Diamond Naturals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs