Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times

Advertisements

My 21lbs dog ate 1 coffee bean. Is that enough to be harmful or will she be ok. I know some toxins depend on the level. Like you can give a dog a little chocolate and it won't kill over (really shouldn't at all but my great grandma would) but too much and they have a serious reaction. I want to make her vomit DH said that shouldn't be enough but she is a small dog. I can't find it anywhere like I can about chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
I can't imagine that one bean in a medium sized dog would be toxic...I'd think she may have the zoomies for a while...

I found this, maybe it will ease your mind:

In dogs the toxic dose (of caffeine) is approximately 200 mg/kg of body weight.

By means of comparison, a 7 oz cup of coffee has the following
caffeine (mg) amounts, according to Bunker and McWilliams in J.
Am. Diet. 74:28-32, 1979:

Drip 115-175
Espresso 100mg of caffeine - 1 serving (1.5-2oz)
Brewed 80-135
Instant 65-100
Decaf, brewed 3-4
Decaf, instant 2-3

So even assuming your dog took in an entire serving of espresso (2 oz.) that would be 100 mg, and it certainly takes more than one bean. A 21 lbs. dog weighs 9.52 kg - your dog would have to take in 1800 mg of caffeine to be toxic.

I am not a math whiz by any stretch of the imagination. At all. Please recheck the figures on a converter of your choice...but I think you're safe.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Thanks! I just starting looking stuff up like a dork. He kept saying 1 bean wouldn't hurt but sometimes I just worry so much. I went with the higest serving I could find of 200mg in a 6oz cut and divided that by the 80 (or more) beans it should take and it was 2.5mg per bean or something. Then my fears were eased. That is good info you found though. I couldn't find anything on the toxic dosage thats why I was so worried.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Hi, I think you're safe too but I'm not a vet. You might want to find out where your local pet emergency center is (if you have one) in the event of an emergency - also there's a poison hotline (your vet probably has the #), they can give you info over the phone and I think they're open 24/7 but they do charge and want your credit card # in advance. Like you said, 1 M&M is OK for a dog (although I certainly wouldnt advocate it, they don't need it and it rots their teeth), it's the dark semi-sweet chocolate that can cause real problems. Anyway, a little off-topic, fwiw. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I think you're fine too, I'd just monitor her for the next 24 hours until it's out of her system.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 134,909 times
my dog ate abount 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds already brew two hours ago he is responsive and his heart rate is not high he is just very quiet but moves around when you call him he looks like he has a stomach ache I do not know if he is ok or just tired

Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Call your vet. If you can't reach your vet call the Poison Control Center. They have a great deal of information on animals.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Call your vet. If you can't reach your vet call the Poison Control Center. They have a great deal of information on animals.
^^^^ Ditto to the above advice. Please call a vet.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Several years ago my Doberman helped himself to a pound of chocolate fudge that was left on the kitchen table while he was home by himself. At that time I didn't know chocolate could cause kidney problems with a dog, so I didn't call a vet. Years later he developed an incontinence condition at age 11. Following is info I have collected about things that are toxic to dogs. Hope this answers some questions for you...

KNOWN TOXIC FOODS FOR DOGS

A. Some foods which are edible for humans, and even other species of animals, can pose hazards for dogs because of their different metabolism. Some may cause only mild digestive upsets, whereas, others can cause severe illness, and even death. The following common food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to dogs. This list is, of course, incomplete because we can not possibly list everything your dog should not eat.

Items to avoid Reasons to avoid
Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.
Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.
Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.
Citrus oil extracts
Can cause vomiting.
Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins
Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.
Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
Human vitamin supplements containing iron
Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.
Macadamia nuts
Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.
Marijuana
Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.
Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.
Moldy or spoiled food, garbage
Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.
Mushrooms
Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.
Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.
Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.
Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."
Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.
Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
List obtained from Dr.Foster and Smith's Website.

Below you'll find a list of the most common types:
* Indicates that a substance is especially dangerous and can be fatal.

Alcohol (all beverages, ethanol, methanol, isopropyl)
Almonds*
Amarylis bulb*
Apricot*
Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale)*
Avocado (leaves, seeds, stem, skin)*
Azalea (entire rhododendron family)

Begonia*
Bird of Paradise
Bittersweet
Bleeding heart*
Boxwood
Bracken fern
Buckeye
Buttercup (Ranunculus)

Caffeine
Caladium*
Calla lily*
Castor bean* (can be fatal if chewed)
Cherry
Chinese sacred or heavenly bamboo*
Chocolate
Choke cherry (unripe berries)*
Chrysanthemum (a natural source of pyrethrins)
Clematis
Crocus bulb
Croton (Codiaeum sp.)
Cyclamen bulb

Daffodil (Narcissus)
Delphenium
Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia)*

Elderberry (unripe berries)
English ivy (All Hedera species of ivy)

Fig (Ficus)
Four-o'clocks (Mirabilis)
Foxglove (Digitalis)

Garlic*

Hyacinth bulbs
Hydrangea*
Holly berries Iris corms
Jack-in-the-pulpit*
Jimson weed*

Kalanchoe*

Lantana*
larkspur
Lily (bulbs of most species)
Lily-of-the-valley
Lupine species

Marijuana or hemp (Cannibus)*
Milkweed*
Mistletoe berries*
monkshood*
Morning glory*
Mountain laurel

Narcissus (Daffodil)

Oak* (remove bark for use as a bird perch)
Oleander*
Onions*
Peaches*

Pencil cactus plant* (Euphorbia sp.)
Philodendron (all species)*
Poinsettia (many hybrids, avoid them all)
Potato (leaves and stem)

Rhubarb leaves*
Rosary Pea (Arbus sp.)* (Can be fatal if chewed)

Scheffelera (umbrella plant)
Shamrock (Oxalis sp.)*
Spurge (Euphorbia sp.)

Tomatoes (leaves and stem)

Umbrella Plant (Scheffelera)

Yew*.

Here is a link to some information about the possible problem with a Heartworm Injection

For anyone who may not know, the poison control number charges you $35. This goes to pay the vet in case of a phone consult. If you ever have to call, make sure to have credit card ready.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 81,756 times
My dog drank a little bit of my coffee and he's a really small dog. What will happen? I'm afraid he might have seizures and I'm also afraid he might die from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs