Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2023, 08:22 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times

Advertisements

We've know she has renal disease for 2 years now, but she's in stage IV now. She has good days and bad days. Had an end of life discussion with the vet and she says 6 weeks to 3 months. Pain would be like having the flu. She was a working dog in her younger days, ran game too, but after 4 yo she became the house dog. She's been a joy since day one.

This is always tough for a 'pet', but the time will come when she needs to be euthanized. Renal disease is a wasting disease and the calcification of her organs has begun. She is getting more and more lethargic and equally demanding.... that's kinda funny at times, typical Catahoula = hard headed.

I'm about the celebration of life and will take my grief to a quite private place sit down with some wiskey and just relive the memories and remember. She will be buried on my property (acreage) along with many other critters over the years.

My question is about my wife. She acts tough but isn't. This really became 'her' pet dog over time. She doesn't want to be present when she's put down. I could NEVER miss that... that's just my way. She will die in my arms or at my side.

All our other dogs have trees planted over their grave and it's becoming a forest of sorts. Wanna do something extra, not sure what that is yet.

Suggestions?

*Her name is Zoey and she's only 8 yo. Black and tan Catahoula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 11:23 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
So sorry to hear of your dog's situation.

I'd do what I can, to keep the dog as comfortable as reasonably possible.

With your vet giving the dog, between 1.5 -3 months, the writing is on the wall. (This is the time, we WISH the vet was wrong.)

Not being familiar with the breed, it caused me to research the breed, so thank you for that.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
So sorry to hear of your dog's situation.

I'd do what I can, to keep the dog as comfortable as reasonably possible.

With your vet giving the dog, between 1.5 -3 months, the writing is on the wall. (This is the time, we WISH the vet was wrong.)

Not being familiar with the breed, it caused me to research the breed, so thank you for that.
My experiences is dogs pass away with grace, but it's really my wife I'm concerned with.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:06 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
As long as one of your dog's beloved humans is there with her at the end, I think that is enough. It does not sound like you're being at ALL judgmental about your wife not being able to handle the euthanasia, so I would just support you on that, and say that for some reason, some people simply cannot bear it. I confess I was like that with our poor distemper puppy who had to be put to sleep in 2000, but thankfully, my level-headed and loving spouse was there with the puppy and made it a peaceful exit. (But I have not missed a euthanasia since then, and they've all been heartbreakers.)

I am in favor of in-home euthanasia. Your own "regular" vet may offer the service, and if not, then we have had very good experiences with the mobile vets who specifically offer the service. There is a unique and awful fear as the time for the appointment approaches, but it feels so much better to be in familiar surroundings throughout.

It's such a hard time. Best wishes to all of you.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
As long as one of your dog's beloved humans is there with her at the end, I think that is enough. It does not sound like you're being at ALL judgmental about your wife not being able to handle the euthanasia, so I would just support you on that, and say that for some reason, some people simply cannot bear it. I confess I was like that with our poor distemper puppy who had to be put to sleep in 2000, but thankfully, my level-headed and loving spouse was there with the puppy and made it a peaceful exit. (But I have not missed a euthanasia since then, and they've all been heartbreakers.)

I am in favor of in-home euthanasia. Your own "regular" vet may offer the service, and if not, then we have had very good experiences with the mobile vets who specifically offer the service. There is a unique and awful fear as the time for the appointment approaches, but it feels so much better to be in familiar surroundings throughout.

It's such a hard time. Best wishes to all of you.
My vet will come out with an appointment.

We're gonna do a celibration of life day and BBQ. Lots of people and kids, she'll get steak if she wants it. lord knows I think her favorite food was a fresh road apple! Got those too. I think rather than another Live Oak over the grave, we'll do a Magnolia.

We picked out a spot today as she swam in the pond and then laid in the sun.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 07-25-2023 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-25-2023, 03:34 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My vet will come out with an appointment.

We're gonna do a calibration of life day and BBQ. Lots of people and kids, she'll get steak if she wants it. lord knows I think her favorite food was a fresh road apple! Got those too. I think rather than another Live Oak over the grave, we'll do a Magnolia.

We picked out a spot today as she swam in the pond and then laid in the sun.
You're making me cry. My heart hurts for you.

My Hannah is a Catahoula mix and the one of the best dogs I've ever had. The hardest part of loving a pet is letting it go. I truly hope there is a Rainbow Bridge.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:11 PM

1,200 posts, read 619,478 times
So sorry about Zoey, I had to put many dogs down in my life and I'm the type that has to be there when they pass. I say my goodbyes, how much joy they brought into my life, how much I love them, etc. Then when it's time to leave (with the dog with me since I bury them at home) the tears start to flow.

As far as your wife, I don't know what to say. Everyone grieves differently. Maybe ask your wife to join you in your quiet place and have a drink with you. Plan on talking about all the joy that Zoey has brought to both of you. "Acting" tough is just her way of dealing with her inner pain and sadness of losing her pet.

Again, very sorry.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:44 PM

I put a picture of her in my album. https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...july-2023.html

Old 07-25-2023, 09:21 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
A beautiful pup. I'm so sorry for your loss and I do believe there is a Rainbow Bridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs