Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:05 AM

19,851 posts, read 22,759,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We had these dogs growing up and it’s not a myth. They are high energy for a long time. They are great family dogs but I hate when people get a breed that is not a good match for their family and it ends up in a shelter which very often means it’s killed.
Well that's your opinion. I have two DK's that are from recent East European stock- bred more for pure hunting than my older two that are more 'American Show breed'- larger and more sedate. Even then- those DK's are pretty docile around the house. Like I said- way less bonkers than the two basenjis' we had.

This was a pup from a litter my two older dogs had 10 years ago. The family has a disabled son that is confined to a wheelchair. A year after they picked up the pup they sent me this video and said this puppy (a year old then) never leaves their son's side. Sleeps with him, walks with him, plays with him... Real tearjerker for us. That's my experience with this breed.

https://youtu.be/PA-D3pJZsxI?si=YZyOGdu9B-5Qjkg8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:38 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
......... My buddies 1 year old daughter plays with Roscoe. He send me the cutest video- she was dressing Roscoe. He just patiently lets her do whatever she wants. He stays by her side almost constantly.
Children should not be allowed to do whatever they want with pets. That is animal abuse. Children should be trained in how to deal gently with pets and how to handle them with respect. It is not adorable to encourage children to do whatever they want with their dog. Dogs are living creatures, not toys or stuffed animals.

It's not good parenting to encourage a child to show a lack of consideration and it can be dangerous when the child encounters a dog who is not so tolerant of disrespect.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:45 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,223,271 times
OP - I would HIGHLY suggest taking some "which dog breed is best for you" online quizzes.

Get lots of results and narrow down your decision to a breed that will work well with your family's lifestyle.

Then you can consider mixes of those breeds or at least have more knowledge to ask the right questions.

Also research questions to ask a breeder or even questions you might be asked by a breeder or rescue group.

To be honest, I'm not sure anyone here can answer your question specifically because they are not you and your family.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:52 AM

19,851 posts, read 22,759,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Children should not be allowed to do whatever they want with pets. That is animal abuse. Children should be trained in how to deal gently with pets and how to handle them with respect. It is not adorable to encourage children to do whatever they want with their dog. Dogs are living creatures, not toys or stuffed animals.

It's not good parenting to encourage a child to show a lack of consideration and it can be dangerous when the child encounters a dog who is not so tolerant of disrespect.
I think Roscoe is sitting there and she is just laying clothes on his nose. She's not beating him with a stick. Trust me the parents watch them all the time and provide the appropriate guidance. There is no abuse.

That's enough from me- I'm not going to stray off topic on a personal diatribe.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:16 PM

26,009 posts, read 22,203,791 times
First, the children should NEVER be taking the leash on the walk, UNLESS the mother or father is also holding the lease. OP obviously has no idea how strong dogs are, as even a determined small terrier can be a force to deal with when it sees a cat, squirrel, etc.

I see so many ads trying to place dogs on Craigslist, and reading descriptions about pets at the humane society and the animal shelters "Not good with kids.", and sadly, the dog ends up sitting for weeks, if not months, waiting for a family. I know many times that if the adult would have been responsible, this dog would not be waiting!!!

Walking with 3 kids and a big dog? I hope there is no traffic or loose animals. Imagine picking up the droppings of a giant breed while supervising the kids.

Everything in the OPs original post says she knows very little about dogs in general. Maybe a better idea would be to visit a humane society and talk with staff there, visit with a few dogs, and walk 2 or 3 on a leash, maybe even consider fostering a dog.

Little kids can be brutal around a pet, and some are terrified, especially of the extra large breeds. Sadly, information on the web generally is promoting certain breeds, so isn't the best place to really learn about specific breeds.

OP needs "hands on" experience with dogs!

Old 09-26-2023, 02:17 PM

8,800 posts, read 5,096,924 times
OP...It sounds like you want a dog, to keep your kids amused so you won`t have to play with them. Well, dogs are as much work as children.....so I think getting a dog, for that reason is going to back fire on you.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:32 PM

3,773 posts, read 4,118,622 times
OP, I suggest you just forget about getting a dog and play with your kids instead. If you want to educate the kids about animals, visit a few farms when they have visiting days and take them to different zoos frequently.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:51 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,945,382 times
The OP is not a member any longer. I guess they didn't like the responses? I hope they will take it to heart.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:16 PM

23,392 posts, read 19,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
First, the children should NEVER be taking the leash on the walk, UNLESS the mother or father is also holding the lease. OP obviously has no idea how strong dogs are, as even a determined small terrier can be a force to deal with when it sees a cat, squirrel, etc.

I see so many ads trying to place dogs on Craigslist, and reading descriptions about pets at the humane society and the animal shelters "Not good with kids.", and sadly, the dog ends up sitting for weeks, if not months, waiting for a family. I know many times that if the adult would have been responsible, this dog would not be waiting!!!

Walking with 3 kids and a big dog? I hope there is no traffic or loose animals. Imagine picking up the droppings of a giant breed while supervising the kids.

Everything in the OPs original post says she knows very little about dogs in general. Maybe a better idea would be to visit a humane society and talk with staff there, visit with a few dogs, and walk 2 or 3 on a leash, maybe even consider fostering a dog.

Little kids can be brutal around a pet, and some are terrified, especially of the extra large breeds. Sadly, information on the web generally is promoting certain breeds, so isn't the best place to really learn about specific breeds.

OP needs "hands on" experience with dogs!
"Not good with kids" is one thing, but what's even more common on adoption listings is "best suited for kids older than (a common age is 5)". You, OP have at least two under 5. Many rescues won't even place large dogs with families with very young children either because the dog won't tolerate them or it can easily overpower/hurt them.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:29 PM

37,677 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have 4 of them and they don't need hours of exercise daily. I don't know why people perpetuate that bunk. I guess it was written somewhere so it must be true.. My dogs do have a big area outside to romp, but in all reality they are calm and very well happy to be chill inside. I have many hunting friends with GSP's and they are the same. Absolutely chill inside unless you get them fired up- not unlike any other dog.

These dogs are way more chill than the pair of basenjis we had before, and a lot more relaxed then my neighbors 3 GSD's. Those dogs ripped his couch to shreds when he left them unattended.

Their favorite pastime is to relax with the kids. My son is under there somewhere....

My daughter under there too...

We've owned a lot of dogs- Basenji's, hounds, a boxer- I grew up with GSD's, minature poodle, rat terrier.. By far the best breed I've ever had are GSP's. Good in the field and great at home.
They perpetuate it because it is true. I have talked to at least FIVE owners of this breed (because my BF was thinking about getting one) and every single one said that if you don't want to have to deal with a LOT of energy, tons of exercise, and often destructive behavior if left alone (which is absolutely a requirement for him since he works outside the home), take them off your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs