Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 05:46 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,693,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Same question what is a shadow bank? And which banks aren't regulated at all?
Nonbank financial companies (NBFCs), also known as nonbank financial institutions (NBFIs), are entities that provide similar services to a bank but do not hold a banking license. Because of this, they are not regulated or overseen by federal and state authorities. There are many NBFCs. Investment banks, mortgage lenders, money market funds, insurance companies, hedge funds, private equity funds, and P2P lenders are all examples of NBFCs.

Since the Great Recession, NBFCs have proliferated in number and type, playing a key role in meeting the credit demand unmet by traditional banks. Their critics say that they pose a risk to the US economy; their proponents say they offer a valuable, alternative source of credit and funding.

49.2%
The shadow banking system's relative share of total global financial assets at the end of 2021, according to the Financial Stability Board (FSB).

Last edited by txfriend; 03-17-2023 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 06:08 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,565,890 times
Well worth the 2 hours.

With the current crisis, the only way out is up because the feds are going to do whatever it takes once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The latest episode of Frontline.. it's a 2 hour watch but looks like a great watch based on the trailer I saw a couple days ago...

Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 PM

19,958 posts, read 18,257,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Nonbank financial companies (NBFCs), also known as nonbank financial institutions (NBFIs), are entities that provide similar services to a bank but do not hold a banking license. Because of this, they are not regulated or overseen by federal and state authorities. There are many NBFCs. Investment banks, mortgage lenders, money market funds, insurance companies, hedge funds, private equity funds, and P2P lenders are all examples of NBFCs.

Since the Great Recession, NBFCs have proliferated in number and type, playing a key role in meeting the credit demand unmet by traditional banks. Their critics say that they pose a risk to the US economy; their proponents say they offer a valuable, alternative source of credit and funding.

49.2%
The shadow banking system's relative share of total global financial assets at the end of 2021, according to the Financial Stability Board (FSB).
OK. I feel better about the whole thing. I thought your claim was there are many insolvent banks open for business with no regulation.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Let's be logical about the current banking situation and the economy. There is currently no bank in the US that could withstand a run on it if other banks did not loan them money. This is partly the result of the 2018 rollback of the Dodd-Frank by Trump. The Fed and any administration have the responsibility to insure that banking is understood to be solvent even if it is not, the price we pay for living in a capitalist society with dysfunctional and political gridlock and paralysis, greedy bankers, and wall street. This makes the Fed the only game in town to keep the economy rolling hopefully without too many missteps.
My opinion only, and living the dream.
Just about all of the original Dodd-Frank rules and regs still apply to the big banks.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:13 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,103,786 times
Watched it last night. I thought it was fairly well-balanced. While I did pause it briefly a few times, I was impressed that there were no commercial interruptions. So it is possible to have a YouTube video without commercial interruptions every 5 or 10 minutes.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:44 AM

107,129 posts, read 109,450,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just about all of the original Dodd-Frank rules and regs still apply to the big banks.
i don’t believe the small banks are stress tested the same as the bigger banks. i remember reading something to that effect.

found it “ As the week got under way, tens of billions of dollars moved from regional banks (which are not required to perform stress-tests) into mega banks (such as Bank of America) which are subject to far greater government scrutiny.”

Old 03-18-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don’t believe the small banks are stress tested the same as the bigger banks. i remember reading something to that effect.

found it “ As the week got under way, tens of billions of dollars moved from regional banks (which are not required to perform stress-tests) into mega banks (such as Bank of America) which are subject to far greater government scrutiny.”
This is correct. I've read and heard that SVB probably would have passed last year's stress test FWIIW.

IMO the fix tho. is not to stress test smaller banks but to back stop the value of longer term paper at face value. ......which as you know the .gov guarantees at face value at maturity anyway.

The Fed. introduced a facility last weekend or maybe Monday such that banks can borrow from The Fed. to cover such pinch points at very low rates.

Regardless of how this is handled going forward we can't risk a banking and economic blowout over accounting rules.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:57 PM

956 posts, read 796,154 times
Thanks for posting the link to the episode.

An ominous takeaway was Kashari's 180 degree turn from advocating interest policy to support jobs that he forcefully projected in the early interviews, to his final interview where he said the bar would was really high for the Fed to intervene to staunch the pain from rising interest rates. The SVB collapse obviously breached the bar. Will be interesting to see what the Fed does Wednesday regarding interest rates.

Here's another source of information about the SVB collapse from Bloomberg's OddLots podcast that I'm a fan of:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-14/dan-davies-on-what-brought-down-silicon-valley-bank

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t?srnd=oddlots

Old 03-20-2023, 12:26 AM

24,820 posts, read 9,590,338 times
I plan to watch it, hopefully it's not biased.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:26 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,065,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Watched it last night. I thought it was fairly well-balanced. While I did pause it briefly a few times, I was impressed that there were no commercial interruptions. So it is possible to have a YouTube video without commercial interruptions every 5 or 10 minutes.
Get an ad blocker and you'll never have to deal with YT commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics