Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 12:25 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,298,764 times

Advertisements

Envy is just as damaging as greed. Remember that when forming your opinions on subjects like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 09:07 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Read Jobs biography. He was impressed that the Chinese government could ORDER their workers to work until they fixed a mistake that Jobs made!!! He wished that he could do that in America. I think that's EVIL.
Do you have any sources? I can't seem to find his stance on this but I would be curious.

Quote:
Zukerberg makes $40/year per individual selling private information to the corporations. I never had a Facebook or had anything to do with META. They track me, because somebody let Facebook have their phone contact list. I don't know what information META is selling about me. If the government were doing what META is doing without a court order it would be illegal. I think that's EVIL.
Anyone using facebook agrees to have their information used for marketing purposes. That's not evil. It's a free AND OPTIONAL service to use. You don't use it so you're information isn't being collected and shared? You want to talk evil? I work for one of the largest data warehouses in the world. What we do with your information is far more nefarious.

Quote:
Gates destroyed tech innovation in this country. A ruthless businessman. The joke is God created Bill Gates because he was tired of all the hate directed towards Rockefeller. He has a foundation too!! Oh, and Bill Gates and his good friend Epstein?? I think that is EVIL.
This is what prompted me to respond to you. How did gates destroy innovation?!?! Have you ever used DOS?!?! Gates brought computing to the masses. Are you upset he didn't make it open source? Why shouldn't he be able to copywrite his intellectual property? Gates didn't force proprietary hardware like Apple did. If anything Gates and Windows greatly expanded the tech sector by offering the software without hardware requirements. The computer and subsequent internet boom in the 90's was something like we've never seen before. It's not like people are lining up to install Linux... The whole gates/epstein thing is all speculation. If gates was involved then of course he is a pedo and deserves justice in this world and his next. However, I would argue that gates' contribution in Windows was overall good for the masses.

Quote:
What facts?? Again, Rockefeller a good person?? If he was so good, why did the Federal government break up his monopoly??
What does an antitrust suit have to do with someone being evil? It's totally normal for companies to expand. That is done through lateral or horizontal integration. It's normal for companies, especially ones in a newly formed and quick growing industry like oil to get too big too fast. That's all it was. In today's world, I doubt an antitrust suit would have been brought up. It seems the US has moved away from them for the most part. I will note that some folks would argue it's evil of the US Gov to force a split...

Quote:
Why do all these rich folks have "public relations" folks to make them LOOK good??
The job of a PR person or firm is to respond appropriately to media and other public requests. Words can be skewed and so PR personnel are there to ensure a message is clear and unable to interpreted incorrectly. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like they hired "muscle" to take out competitors.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:31 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Do you have any sources? I can't seem to find his stance on this but I would be curious.

It was in Issacson's biography plus of all places, talked about on This Week in Tech. The panel discussed the "evil" side of Steve Jobs in snide comments, including his admiration for the Chinese Communist Part and their ability to control the Chinese people.

Anyone using facebook agrees to have their information used for marketing purposes. That's not evil. It's a free AND OPTIONAL service to use. You don't use it so you're information isn't being collected and shared? You want to talk evil? I work for one of the largest data warehouses in the world. What we do with your information is far more nefarious.

Yes, my information is being collected. I know the New York Times is generally not considered a reputable source, but this about a Congressional hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/t...-hearings.html

Evil is evil. IF your employer is more evil than Facebook, that doesn't change the status of Facebook.

My family knows evil. My parents survived both Stalin and Hitler. Which do you think was less EVIL and therefore acceptable???

This is what prompted me to respond to you. How did gates destroy innovation?!?! Have you ever used DOS?!?! Gates brought computing to the masses. Are you upset he didn't make it open source? Why shouldn't he be able to copywrite his intellectual property? Gates didn't force proprietary hardware like Apple did. If anything Gates and Windows greatly expanded the tech sector by offering the software without hardware requirements. The computer and subsequent internet boom in the 90's was something like we've never seen before. It's not like people are lining up to install Linux... The whole gates/epstein thing is all speculation. If gates was involved then of course he is a pedo and deserves justice in this world and his next. However, I would argue that gates' contribution in Windows was overall good for the masses.

I did use DOS. You know he bought it. Like he bought all the other companies that competed with MicroSoft.

I am not upset that he didn't make it open source.

I am upset that the Federal government did not stop his monopoly and allow innovation to flourish in the US. Gates was a evil businesses man in the mold of Rockefeller.

I did use OS/2 as well as DOS. Do you know why IBM never made OS/2 open source??

What does an antitrust suit have to do with someone being evil? It's totally normal for companies to expand. That is done through lateral or horizontal integration. It's normal for companies, especially ones in a newly formed and quick growing industry like oil to get too big too fast. That's all it was. In today's world, I doubt an antitrust suit would have been brought up. It seems the US has moved away from them for the most part. I will note that some folks would argue it's evil of the US Gov to force a split...

It is totally normal for companies to expand. It is against the law for companies to use the monopoly position to squash new, innovative companies.

I blame the Federal government, state of Washington and other governmental entities for failing to protect the American people from the EVIL BIG TECH companies.

The job of a PR person or firm is to respond appropriately to media and other public requests. Words can be skewed and so PR personnel are there to ensure a message is clear and unable to interpreted incorrectly. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like they hired "muscle" to take out competitors.
Big Tech does both. Hire PR to make sure that THEIR message and no other dominates the media. And yes, BIG TECH does use "muscle" to take out competitors. The muscle is just not physical like those employed by the Mafia, but the results are even more devastating.

Big Tech is EVIL. The business world is ruthless enough, without having EVIL companies in the mix.

Old 01-23-2024, 02:13 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
Quote:
Big Tech does both. Hire PR to make sure that THEIR message and no other dominates the media. And yes, BIG TECH does use "muscle" to take out competitors. The muscle is just not physical like those employed by the Mafia, but the results are even more devastating.

Big Tech is EVIL. The business world is ruthless enough, without having EVIL companies in the mix.
Aside from your feelings about the evil big Tech companies, have you made any money from investing
in any of them.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Aside from your feelings about the evil big Tech companies, have you made any money from investing
in any of them.
Yes, in the 1980's as they were transitioning into evil.

Sold out after that.

I suppose the some of the mutual funds I held did not have standards.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:39 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Quote:
Yes, in the 1980's as they were transitioning into evil.

Sold out after that.

I suppose the some of the mutual funds I held did not have standards.
Tech is not and has never been "evil" - they are only looking to make money.

Your mutual funds likely did have standards - which means it should included tech stocks where appropriate. To exclude tech in funds would have meant giving up much of their gains. That would not be fair to the 99%+ of investors that don't think tech is evil.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Tech is not and has never been "evil" - they are only looking to make money.
Everybody even the Communists, the most EVIL people in history, were looking to make money.

Communists societies had their Elites that lived very well, while they were killing 10 million people in the Holodomor. The money let then live well.

Money is just a medium of exchange. It has no value, except as a trading mechanism.

What you do with money, determines if your EVIL. The advantage that BIG TECH has is they do it without the people they are destroying even being aware of it.

BIG TECH is EVIL.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:12 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
Quote:
Everybody even the Communists, the most EVIL people in history, were looking to make money.

Communists societies had their Elites that lived very well, while they were killing 10 million people in the Holodomor. The money let then live well.

Money is just a medium of exchange. It has no value, except as a trading mechanism.

What you do with money, determines if your EVIL. The advantage that BIG TECH has is they do it without the people they are destroying even being aware of it.

BIG TECH is EVIL.
Remember without Big Tech you would not be at work, sitting at your desk, typing about the Evil of big tech.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:13 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Remember without Big Tech you would not be at work, sitting at your desk, typing about the Evil of big tech.
We sure as heck wouldn't be communicating with each other over the internet using phone, iPads, computers etc.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, I would.

Yes, I was typing at my desk in 1983 at work in a rural community. I was ordering books from my local library on FIDO net and they mailed them to me.. Remember the early 1980's ??

Was FIDO net BIG TECH??? 1983 was before BIG TECH, it was just computer science and not evil, yet.

I don't think TECH is EVIL. I love tech and always have. Learned to program in 1973. Own a completely automated astronomical observatory.

It is BIG TECH that is EVIL.

Go to any used bookstore and get a copy of that hippie catalog....the Whole Earth Catalog and see the promise of tech to improve our lives. Then reflect on the evil that BIG TECH brought to our world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
To call someone evil let alone a whole group you need more than just banal assertions - Tech is also not a uniform group. Tech is not any more evil than anyone else but classifying a whole group without any basis is EVIL. They are also very different from communist regimes and no, communists were not trying to make money - that is not communism. Communism is not inherently evil either.

It is your choice to use or not use tech if you choose but I guess if using tech, that would be supporting evil based on your posted opinion - does that make you then evil? What you or anyone does with their money is their own choice but it is NOT evil to make money - and they are not "destroying" anyone - did they "destroy" you somehow? Why do you think it is evil to use tech to make money?
Communism is inherently evil. There were 46 countries that tried Communism and they killed 175 million people. A feature of Communisim is mass murder, famine, death, oppression, and fear. There are five countries left from a political system that WAS/IS "inherently evil".

BIG TECH follows in the steps of Communism by promising heaven and delivering hell. There is a reason for the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", but quickly BIG TECH decided that to hell with good intentions, screw the world, we are going to get ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...chest-rushkoff

It is no longer a choice to use BIG TECH or not. I do refuse to use it. Last week TWO companies, sorry we don't do business except over the net. There is no one to talk to was their answer. Hell, neither of those companies was Google, or FaceBook, or MicroSoft.

The first TEN AMENDMENTS of the US Constitution protect American's from the EVILS of GOVERNMENT prying in the private lives of American citizens.

The Biden Administration has gone to court arguing that it is OK, if the Federal government BUYS the information from BIG TECH that the Constitution bans the Federal government from collecting because it is EVIL.

Our founding fathers, never dreamed that there would be CORPORATIONS more EVIL than the worst governments on Earth.

If it is ILLEGAL AND EVIL for the Federal government to gather private information, why is it NOT EVIL and ILLEGAL for BIG TECH to gather the same information.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...-consumer-data

Last edited by 509; 01-27-2024 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics