Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 02:43 PM

1,749 posts, read 640,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
but you're not that old...i'm talking about the 60s, 70s, maybe early 80s but then things started to change. One thing that seemed to contribute to this was more wives working, more double income households.
This and the how much easier it became to get loans and credit cards. These two things alone account for a lot of the issues. Then Covid came along and politicians shut the economy down. Big mistake that was. Eventually the market has to right itself to some extent, but I don’t think things will be the same price there were in the 80s and 90s.

As far as minimum wage goes, I think it’s fair now. It was always hard to live on minimum wage jobs and is today. People need to make themselves more valuable to the market in one way or another. Some skilled trades pay well but others don’t. Pick the ones that do. Or go to college if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 02:57 PM

16,816 posts, read 8,518,636 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
This and the how much easier it became to get loans and credit cards. These two things alone account for a lot of the issues. Then Covid came along and politicians shut the economy down. Big mistake that was. Eventually the market has to right itself to some extent, but I don’t think things will be the same price there were in the 80s and 90s.

As far as minimum wage goes, I think it’s fair now. It was always hard to live on minimum wage jobs and is today. People need to make themselves more valuable to the market in one way or another. Some skilled trades pay well but others don’t. Pick the ones that do. Or go to college if you want.
No, i dont think it will ever go back to what it was. Why would it?? People are paying! It's sad how much going out to eat has become...also sad how much hotel stays are in some places that were reasonable before covid. I could go on...

Old 05-10-2024, 03:23 PM

17,519 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right I wasn't suggesting they live in Montreal, just saying the could easily if they wanted to...but Spain would be nice...or the UK where she has also has roots. They live in NYC now so it's not like winter there is a joy either.
It makes a lot of sense to live in NYC vs Montreal if one loves Montreal, but has issues with what I listed. Montreal is a very dense, urban, "walking" city and I have always found that the closest living experience to Montreal in North America is found in NYC, and vice-versa (obviously NYC is bigger, but pick a block in Brooklyn, for instance, and I can find an equivalent in Montreal.)

In NYC, MUCH less taxes. No draconian French laws, and winters, while not the greatest, aren't anywhere near as brutal as in Montreal.

So I completely get why they'd live in NYC if they love Montreal but want to be in the US for one reason or another.

Old Today, 05:21 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,283,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It’s not at all an assumption, it’s reality, and we DO know it. Wages are determined based on the interplay between the supply of labor and the demand for labor.

But hey, if you don’t believe in supply and demand, why don’t you tell us how wages are determined.

This’ll be rich. . .
If that is true then the same job at different businesses should all pay the same right? But they don’t. That is because other things then supply and demand determine wages. I never said didn’t believe in supply and demand just that not all business use it to determine wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics