Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 01:17 PM

107,031 posts, read 109,313,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Good for you, and I bet you contribute much more to society than many people graduating from colleges today!
yep ,because playing drums today is much more importanter then getting a degree in english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 03:07 PM

610 posts, read 270,827 times
From the article you posted: "Companies are warier about hiring amid high interest rates and wages."

Translated: Companies are more worried about driving profit for shareholders and a few people at the top than paying employees what they are worth.

See also, there are a lot of fake job postings out there. I'm not even talking about scams, although there's that. I'm talking about companies that post jobs they have no intention of filling, just to window-shop, gauge what kinds of salaries people are looking for, meet ADA and EEOC quotas, etc. As a result, millions of people waste countless hours applying, uploading resumes to websites (and then being told to re-enter their information manually), etc. for jobs that never get filled because those jobs don't exist.

Another issue is that employers who are hiring are asking for entirely too much, especially in terms of education. Been in my line of work with a BA for over 30 years. Suddenly they require a PhD for it? Unless they're a government contractor, in which case they must meet the requirements laid out by the government, there's no need for that.

There's also age discrimination and my favorite, cultural discrimination (if anyone wants to put you through a "cultural interview," RUN--it's a smarmy way of seeing if your lifestyle matches everyone else's there, which has no bearing on your ability to do the job, and it's away of skirting discrimination laws.)

LinkedIn has a bazillion posts and articles about all of this. It's ludicrous--and then employers who are hiring complain that they can't find qualified people. Yeah, hi. Welcome to reality. Here's where you learn that labor no longer wants to be exploited.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:25 AM

8,033 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I guess there is more than one way to achieve "equity" -- at least on the working-lower-class level to the middle class level. Although I suspect that many people will disagree with this, I think it is very sad when skilled and/or college-educated workers make about the same pay as those who have jobs that require very little in the way of, skills, talent, intelligence, or responsibility (with the exception of those jobs that are dangerous and/or require hard manual labor).
I'm not a fan of equity. I'm a fan of merit.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:30 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,564,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
My company can not find anywhere near enough qualified people for the work we have. We've been hiring entry level because we need people. Problem is that many just out of college kids don't understand that work ain't all fun and games and quit after a year or two thinking they will find greener grass.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not generation bashing, as some of our new hires are outstanding. There just seems to be more turnover than before. We pay market level wages and have good benefits.
What type of work is this, and is it up in Alaska?

Old 05-12-2024, 10:32 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,564,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I wasn't talking about entry level specifically. Certainly not where I worked. When I retired it took over a year before they finally were able to find a replacement. IT folks are a hot commodity here.
Where is "here"? Thanks!

Old Today, 03:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 13,292,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
From the article you posted: "Companies are warier about hiring amid high interest rates and wages."

Translated: Companies are more worried about driving profit for shareholders and a few people at the top than paying employees what they are worth.

See also, there are a lot of fake job postings out there. I'm not even talking about scams, although there's that. I'm talking about companies that post jobs they have no intention of filling, just to window-shop, gauge what kinds of salaries people are looking for, meet ADA and EEOC quotas, etc. As a result, millions of people waste countless hours applying, uploading resumes to websites (and then being told to re-enter their information manually), etc. for jobs that never get filled because those jobs don't exist.

Another issue is that employers who are hiring are asking for entirely too much, especially in terms of education. Been in my line of work with a BA for over 30 years. Suddenly they require a PhD for it? Unless they're a government contractor, in which case they must meet the requirements laid out by the government, there's no need for that.

There's also age discrimination and my favorite, cultural discrimination (if anyone wants to put you through a "cultural interview," RUN--it's a smarmy way of seeing if your lifestyle matches everyone else's there, which has no bearing on your ability to do the job, and it's away of skirting discrimination laws.)

LinkedIn has a bazillion posts and articles about all of this. It's ludicrous--and then employers who are hiring complain that they can't find qualified people. Yeah, hi. Welcome to reality. Here's where you learn that labor no longer wants to be exploited.
Excellent post, I highlighted some of it.

I would add to the companies are asking too much, some of them do not seem to understand what the words "entry level" mean to people. When I was out of work about 10 years ago, I was looking for entry level jobs and kept finding listings requiring things like 3 years of experience AND a 4 year degree or better.

Requiring 3 years of experience is NOT entry level, it just means you are trying to take advantage of someone with several years of experience and pay them less.

Old Today, 06:53 PM

8,033 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
See also, there are a lot of fake job postings out there. I'm not even talking about scams, although there's that. I'm talking about companies that post jobs they have no intention of filling, just to window-shop, gauge what kinds of salaries people are looking for, meet ADA and EEOC quotas, etc.
To the best of my knowledge, when the EEOC takes action, it is based on demographics of actual employees on the payroll, demographics of actual applicants and demographics of the surrounding population of the community. Job openings are irrelevant. At least, that is how it used to be.

Last edited by moguldreamer; Today at 07:01 PM..

Old Today, 09:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 2,908,062 times
Don't be that person caught up on job requirements.

In my professional life I don't think I ever applied to a job and met all the requirements. Got hired anyways.

In fact I believe it weeds countless out who simply lack initiative.

You hear all the time, "The requirements companies want, no one can meet!"

All I heard was how many are actually applying then??? Hell, you could be the only one!

I wouldn't even respond to vague job postings. It's a waste of time. Now you're competing with 100+ people who meet vague requirements.

Apply to highly specific ones where you can bring 80-90% to the table. All you have to do is be better than the other what THREE? guys you know very well aren't bring 100% either.

That's how you get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics