Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:20 PM

3,384 posts, read 1,767,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
US Federal debt has never been written off.

Governments of some other nations have done so.

Venezuela has defaulted on its sovereign debt 11 times. Ecuador has defaulted 10 times in modern history. Brazil has defaulted 9 times over the past 200 years. Costa Rica and Uruguay have also defaulted 9 times each over the past 200 years. Italy defaulted once during World War II. Spain has defaulted 6 times. Greece has defaulted 5 times since achieving independence in the 1820s. China has defaulted twice. Russia/Soviet Union defaulted back in 1917. More recently, Russia has defaulted - but blamed financial sanctions from The West in response to the war in Ukraine. Russia has money to repay its debt, but that money is frozen in foreign banks, so they claim.
It's wrote off because the Central bank repurchase these bonds away from the Fed essentially writing it off the Fed books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 12:44 PM

18,897 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
There has been an active thread asking the question, "Have the lives of Minimum Wage Workers improved?"

I thought I'd start a thread regarding the lives of Middle Class Americans - have they improved?

And, of course, "Middle Class Americans" is ill-defined; there is no universally agreed definition of what is middle-class (from an economic perspective), so that is up to the poster to define.

There has been a tremendous amount of change these past 4 years, and much of that change has been induced by the pandemic, and by technical innovation. The pandemic is behind us, and technical innovation continues to accelerate. Product quality and availability are excellent and it seems everything now has bluetooth.

Residential real estate values have gone bananas in most locations - so home owners have benefited while those who rent have seen their monthly costs escalate. (Ignore NYC with its unique rent control laws and regulations). Owners of office real estate are taking it in the shorts because of work-from-home. Prices of most all goods are very high but the data say price increases are stabilizing; prices of services are very high and continue to go higher as labor costs go up, up, up. The traditional "kitchen table discussion" of the prices of food, gasoline, natural gas, electricity, automobile prices, automobile insurance, homeowner insurance, daycare services, veterinary services -you name it - "kitchen table economics" sux right now.

So... do you think the lives of Middle Class Americans have improved?
I think yes for the upper middle class. And they are driving our economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...de7633aa&ei=31

Old 05-01-2024, 12:56 PM

18,897 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's wrote off because the Central bank repurchase these bonds away from the Fed essentially writing it off the Fed books.
The Fed is the Central Bank.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:08 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,105,180 times
I would say there's two answers to the OP's question:

Yes, the lives of middle income folks HAS improved for those who are homeowners who bought prior to the 2022 interest rate rise. They are all sitting on a lot of equity, have (relatively) low mortgage payments for the most part, and have generally benefitted from decent wage growth over the past few years.

No for those who bought after the 2022 interest rate increases or didn't buy. They either have had to deal with high interest rate mortgages with little to no growth in equity, or severely escalating rents in most markets. For renters especially it's tough because in most major markets rent growth outpaced wage growth, putting even more of a strain on them and making it even less likely they'll be able to afford to buy a home anytime soon, especially given prices didn't go down in most places and have started rising again combined with the the highest interest rates in a generation.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:12 PM

4,469 posts, read 8,167,943 times
I can only speak for our middle class family and our situation has improved in the last 4 years. June 2020 we moved into a recently renovated home that I had formally rented out. My wife then sold her old house and benefited by the increase in housing costs. In 2023 I sold a house I co-owned with my brother. My half of the proceeds I used to pay off the 40k loan left on my primary residence. We worked hard to reduce our debt load and controlled our household expenses even though our household grew. Without debt we've been able to weather inflationary forces for now.

We are invested in the stock market through workplace retirement accounts, IRA/Roth as well after tax brokerage accounts. We've benefited from the rise of the stock market.

I think the challenge for most is the increased costs in housing, goods and services. My auto, home and liability insurance have all gone up. Even though my cars age, the insurance cost and property taxes go in the wrong direction.

Those who are just starting out their careers though will have a tough time to establish themselves. Even though salaries, prices have really ballooned.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:25 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,311,188 times
Worse. We used to be able to save a decent amount of money, now that amount has been cut in half or more. Everything costs more - food, car insurance, electric, products and services. I am thinking I may have to delay retirement even further.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:32 PM

8,465 posts, read 7,477,811 times
IMO, the American Middle Class is too broad and undefined to answer the question.

Slice it horizontally between the upper middle class and the lower middle class.

Slice it vertically between the younger middle class and the older middle class.

Older/Upper MC is doing fine.

Younger Upper MC is doing OK

Younger/Lower MC is feeling the pinch.

Older/Lower MC is struggling.

Again, just my uneducated opinion - feel free to educate me

Old 05-01-2024, 02:26 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,324,932 times
Most people self-identify as middle class. People don't want to say they are upper class, because that's not politically correct and clearly, unless you are very downtrodden, no one wants to say they are lower-class.

Interestingly, "working class" was usually reserved for "lower class", but apparently the Gallup organization now feels that working class is middle class. Who knew?

"Among Americans, 73% say they belong to the middle or working classes, according to an April 2022 survey from Gallup.

Additionally, 14% identify themselves as upper-middle class and 2% categorize themselves as upper class. In determining their social classes, people often don't think only about income, experts say, but about other factors like education, location and family history.

The majority of participants in a 2023 poll by the Washington Post, for instance, said that Americans need to do the following to be considered part of the middle class:

Own a home.
Have a secure job.
Be able to save money.
Have the time and money to take vacations.
Have health insurance.
Be able to afford a $1,000 emergency.
Be able to pay all your bills on time.
Have a job with paid sick leave.
Be able to retire in comfort.

https://money.usnews.com/money/perso...c-class-system

Old 05-01-2024, 02:40 PM

504 posts, read 535,090 times
Yes. The middle class lives better than they ever have.

Old 05-01-2024, 02:52 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,062,280 times
No. But we have gone through some ****e. Mainly the pandemic.

Have the middle class weathered that storm better than most other countries? Yes.

Am I good with that fact? Yes.

I served on a state pandemic planning board back in the 2000's, so I knew what kind of things to expect.

We got off super easy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics