Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

10,644 posts, read 7,857,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatichustler View Post
Now in my late 30s having been sorta "retired" for 15 years is an interesting spot. ..
What's so interesting about it?

If true, naturally people will wonder how this was achieved. Whether by inherited wealth, lucky investments, screwing other people over or a combination thereof, boasting about this on an internet forum suggests a lack of maturity.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,796 posts, read 4,166,824 times
Yes, I'm sure this is true. Just like the other day when winged monkeys playing silver trombones came flying out of my butt.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

22,116 posts, read 13,137,630 times
Parents and grandparents gifting money to kids (early inheritance/estate planning to protect assets against nursing home losses) is a very popular thing these days. If you see "House Hunters" in their early 20s buying $1M properties, it's most likely "Bank of Grandma" or some variation on the theme.

I don't necessarily believe OP is lying.

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

4,640 posts, read 2,773,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Yes, I'm sure this is true. Just like the other day when winged monkeys playing silver trombones came flying out of my butt.
Hey, how come you get the silver trombones? I only get the brass ones. Who do you have to know to get the monkeys playing the silver ones?

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

20 posts, read 2,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
What's so interesting about it?

If true, naturally people will wonder how this was achieved. Whether by inherited wealth, lucky investments, screwing other people over or a combination thereof, boasting about this on an internet forum suggests a lack of maturity.
Boasting -- how so?

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That or he/she inherited enough money or is a trust fund baby. My niece and her husband live in a very high cost of living city on the west coast but neither have worked much. Turns out he has a trust fund.

Another possible explanation is he/she is lying.
Inheritance/trust fund/lottery winnings all a negative.

I sold stuff on ebay in my teens/early 20s and invested.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

5,909 posts, read 4,454,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is this the return of the poster Eddie Haskell aka as many other names that repeatedly got banned and even built a fake website to back up his claims. Lol.
That was my first thought!

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

25,665 posts, read 17,412,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatichustler View Post
Inheritance/trust fund/lottery winnings all a negative.

I sold stuff on ebay in my teens/early 20s and invested.
I am at least interested enough to ask what you invested in.
Seriously.
Because I have been investing since 1971 and seem not to have figured it all out yet!

I remember a young man - abut your age, I presume - who figured it out during the oil crisis of the 70's and walked away with tons of money earned by buying and selling oil when no one thought anyone had any..

There there is The Big Short guy. I knew real estate was ridiculously high and being played, but I didn't figure out how to capitalize on it.

So. What did you invest in?

Old Today, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am at least interested enough to ask what you invested in.
Seriously.
Because I have been investing since 1971 and seem not to have figured it all out yet!

I remember a young man - abut your age, I presume - who figured it out during the oil crisis of the 70's and walked away with tons of money earned by buying and selling oil when no one thought anyone had any..

There there is The Big Short guy. I knew real estate was ridiculously high and being played, but I didn't figure out how to capitalize on it.

So. What did you invest in?
I invested in stocks, homes and invested in buying more of the products I was buying and reselling 4-5 days a month to make money (just casually browsing online and making a few clicks usually). Eventually through scrimping and saving all my profits, I transitioned into buying real estate. I paid cash for my first home which further reduced my monthly living costs and allowed me to save even more (along with no credit card debt or car payment).

An example of the "products" I invested in was when HP had some sudden fire sale on tablets that were days before $300-400 -- they marked them down to $99 online and in every retail store because they were getting out of the tablet market. I saw the deal and had enough money on hand to not buy 1 or 2....I ordered about 40 online and drive around to every retail store within 70 miles buying every one they had before others could get to them (I don't work...I have the free time). I then proceeded to sell them on Craigslist and Ebay for $300+ each. I tripled my money. The amount of deals like this were endless in number....PS3s, laptops, GPS, phones, gift card deals, yada, yada, yada. Keep in mind I was also in college for about 5 of the years I was doing this. No secret information...everything was posted online and anyone could've done it.

Now at this point as I'm living nearly free in my first paid off house (property tax was about $600/year...just outside the city limits/current value ~$300k), I'm still hustling the deals a day or 2 a week. Often just browsing online at like 3am as I'm on forums chit chatting). Then...I have enough money to pay cash for a 2nd home. Now I have two paid off homes...and one becomes a rental. Rinse wash and repeat.

So yeah, I parlayed all of this into NEVER having a real job....never a bossman...never a schedule. There were times during this that I wouldn't lift a finger to do anything other than cut my grass/clean the house/wash car, etc for months and months at a time. Maybe I was focused on working out or playing basketball over making more money at a certain time period.

So yeah, that's how I just stumbled into getting out of work...something I really couldn't see myself loving or even liking to do regardless of the job.

edit: And I will also say that over the last 5, 6, 7 years my interests have sorta changed from a focus on making more money (I still play around/gets deals on stuff) to cultivating and enjoying my time with family/building deeper ties with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. These are things no amount of "more money" can substitute for or replace.

Last edited by enigmatichustler; Today at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics