Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 30,912 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Is someone familiar with the differences between Russian, Singapore and American math curriculum and or style? My daughter is attending a public elementary school in Houston, she likes maths, and looking for and enrichment program for summer. We have no previous experience with any of the franchises. Have seen Kumon in town and Russsian School of Maths. Thank you all!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 04:58 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I don't know the details, but, I do know the Russian maths program is usually excellent. American, no so much.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Forget Kumon. It's just drilling, not useful for bright kids.

Singapore math homeschooling program, especially NOT the Americanized version, is good. But you need someone to teach it to her.

Better yet, can you find her a computer science coding camp? Math and Comp Sci - you and your wife will be in the fanciest, most ritzy nursing home money can buy.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
How far into elementary school?

A summer program would not be adequate time to digest and implement a new concept in math. But... By all means augment your child's interests and opportunities in learning. Be cautious to not confuse an early learner with diluted different concepts or solution styles. I.e. a USA teacher would likely not accept math answers done via Singapore math methods (even with correct answers).

Consider taking a job and moving to Singapore and put your student in a local school there. (Not an international school).

A few families we know from USA did that, and their kids returned to USA and aced their SAT and ACT and got nearly free ivy league higher education. Followed by terrific international careers. All were very encouraged by engaged parents throughout their schooling.

Remember the entire / holistic objective for your kid. Tailor your assistance to best enable them for success. (That may not be financial... We elected to be home with our kids during school age, and go back to work when they left home for college at age 16).

Your choices will certainly be different, do what is right for your family.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:42 PM

306 posts, read 451,519 times
Try Art of Problem Solving. I think the version for younger kids is called Beast Academy. It is awesome!

Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraSalgado View Post
Hello everyone! Is someone familiar with the differences between Russian, Singapore and American math curriculum and or style? My daughter is attending a public elementary school in Houston, she likes maths, and looking for and enrichment program for summer. We have no previous experience with any of the franchises. Have seen Kumon in town and Russsian School of Maths. Thank you all!:
How old is she and how "good" is she at math relative to peers? My strong bias is towards Singapore math as a learning style. Russian math as we see it in The US is little more than a marketing term.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:17 PM

Hi. Thank you all for your help. She is 6. Not sure how good she is compared to peers and she is my oldest so I don't have much previous experience myself there either. Doesn't seem right that a teacher wouldn't accept a certain style of solution. I think the more ways to face a problem the better. It says more about the teachers themselves than about the kids.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
Try Art of Problem Solving. I think the version for younger kids is called Beast Academy. It is awesome!
Hi. I was checking it. You are right. Great tip. Thank you!

Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Each of those countries have excellent curricula, though in the US, it is much more school and teacher specific.

My advice? get a hold of the GSCE curriculum (exam given in the sophomore year of a US high school) used by the UK. If there is a global standard, this is it.

As for age 6+, get a hold of the EPGY curriculum. It is excellent.

The combo is very powerful.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:23 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
I teach my kids Singapore math after school. My daughter has a friend who's family is from Russia, and she does Russian math after school. The two of them usually tie at math team competitions. Lol.

Generally, the kids who place high at the math team competitions are those who do some sort of rigorous math training every day after school, and over the summer. Usually parent taught, but some go to centers.

The math team kids who are only exposed to American math, and only at school, don't usually do well. I feel bad for them because it's not their fault, and they tend to think there's something wrong with them. Poor kids.

But, I'm still going to keep teaching my kids, because I don't want my kids to be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education