Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 12:22 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Even teachers cheat. Remember the scandals involving the state tests and teachers redoing students scorecards to pass ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 12:59 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times
I didn't study or cheat in high school. My philosophy was that I wanted to see how much I knew from just reading the book, paying attention in class, and taking notes. I would look over my notes for the previous day before the current day's lesson started, but not usually before a test because that would jumble up what I already knew. In my mind, studying would alter what I had learned "naturally." I usually had an A or a high B, mostly because the work was just easy for me. I may have decided to study if my grades were lower, but it was never necessary. By my senior year, I was only going to school two or three days a week because that was all I needed to do to keep an A average. (In Mississippi, compulsory attendance went out with integration and wasn't re-instated until the late 1980s, well after I started teaching school.)

I did let someone cheat off me once on a US History test in 11th grade. We both missed the same question, which tipped off the teacher. He gave us the option to retest. I made a 100 the second time, as I got the question right that I had missed earlier on my first attempt. The other student got a 48. I had known that people talked about flunking tests, but I always thought that meant that they just didn't do very well. I didn't realize that they really failed the tests. I learned something that day.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:09 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I didn't study or cheat in high school. My philosophy was that I wanted to see how much I knew from just reading the book, paying attention in class, and taking notes. I would look over my notes for the previous day before the current day's lesson started, but not usually before a test because that would jumble up what I already knew. In my mind, studying would alter what I had learned "naturally." I usually had an A or a high B, mostly because the work was just easy for me. I may have decided to study if my grades were lower, but it was never necessary. By my senior year, I was only going to school two or three days a week because that was all I needed to do to keep an A average. (In Mississippi, compulsory attendance went out with integration and wasn't re-instated until the late 1980s, well after I started teaching school.)

I did let someone cheat off me once on a US History test in 11th grade. We both missed the same question, which tipped off the teacher. He gave us the option to retest. I made a 100 the second time, as I got the question right that I had missed earlier on my first attempt. The other student got a 48. I had known that people talked about flunking tests, but I always thought that meant that they just didn't do very well. I didn't realize that they really failed the tests. I learned something that day.
I too, let someone cheat off MY History test Soph. year. I was straight A's in this subject since I loved history. Still do.

The other guy and I agreed that I would let him look at my test while I took it and in return, he would do my final welding project in a shop class. Though I was a farm boy, I had never welded before and wasn't very good at it. My buddy, also a farm boy, was already an experienced welder.

It worked for both of us. He got a really good grade on his test helping him pass the course (he was a poor student) and I turned in a masterful welding project.

The barter system at it's best (or worst).

Old 01-30-2024, 06:37 PM

271 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I only cheated once in my life, and got caught. It was in my 9th grade Italian class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No, didn't cheat in school. Knew a few kids who did. It ultimately didn't really help them. They were still C kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I avoid cheating by making all my tests open-note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I only cheated once in public school...

I already see that most of the participants so far, have almost not cheated in their student years.
My intention is to unveil the difference in mentality between Americans and us Latin Americans.
I remember that someone from Mexico once told us, that he went to buy the newspaper with his American cousin in USA, and since there was no one controlling the store, he decided to take 3 newspapers even though he had paid only for one. He said that his cousin, born and raised in the USA, did not allow him to do so and she paid for the extra 2 newspapers, because, she was already educated with the morals of that country, acording to this Mexican guy. Which makes me think that cheating is more of a Latin American cultural issue.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I remember it was very common, especially in high school...it was a common practice of... I don't know if all of them, but at least almost all of my classmates.
Quote:
I remember that someone from Mexico once told us, that he went to buy the newspaper with his American cousin in USA, and since there was no one controlling the store, he decided to take 3 newspapers even though he had paid only for one.
You aren't making your people look very well.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:23 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I only cheated once in public school...accidentally saw a neighbor's answer when I was wondering if I was falling way behind on the test, and looked over to see what page she was on. Saw an answer I didn't know, then seemed stupid not to write it on my paper.

As an administrator, the biggest cheating we had was with Japanese students. They saw it as their duty to help their few fellow Japanese students in the school.
Also, they were likely under extreme pressure to get good grades.

I think students cheat due to a combination of too much pressure to get good grades, and exams or grading practices that they (rightly or wrongly) perceive as unfair. I am not defending the students who cheat, since 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 01-31-2024 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Here's a story about an inexperienced cheater

I subbed this class.

The kids were to log in, take a test, print it out and hand it in.

There must have been some scheming and planning by two students.
One took the test.
Another one at the same computer, later class, printed out "their test" and handed it in only it had the other student's name on it.

They forgot to change the name
I took an economics class in college where several students got access to what they beleived was the exam, and memorized the answers. They didn't bother to notice that the exam we got was completely different. I was one of the only students who did not attempt to cheat, and I had by far the highest grade in the class, since the students who cheated got nearly every question wrong. I'm not sure if he was unaware that they cheated, or if he just didn't care since they flunked anyway.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I too, let someone cheat off MY History test Soph. year. I was straight A's in this subject since I loved history. Still do.

The other guy and I agreed that I would let him look at my test while I took it and in return, he would do my final welding project in a shop class. Though I was a farm boy, I had never welded before and wasn't very good at it. My buddy, also a farm boy, was already an experienced welder.

It worked for both of us. He got a really good grade on his test helping him pass the course (he was a poor student) and I turned in a masterful welding project.

The barter system at it's best (or worst).

My 8th grade social studies teacher had a policy (very unfair, in my opinion) that if somebody was caught cheating, the person who cheated would not be penalized, but the student he/she cheated off of would get a 0. During lunch, a cute girl who I had a crush on asked to borrow my homework so she could copy it. I was reluctant to do so, but I figured it could be my big chance with her. And she assured me that she'd be early to class to give me back my homework so that I'd not get caught. Unfortunately, she was late to class. The teacher asked where my homework was, so I said (name of girl) has it. Unfortunately, that meant I got a 0. And, the girl got a 0 too because she was late to class and thus did not hand in the assignment on time. And it ended any chances I may have ever had with her (not that I had a chance anyway).

Old 01-31-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I already see that most of the participants so far, have almost not cheated in their student years.
My intention is to unveil the difference in mentality between Americans and us Latin Americans.
I remember that someone from Mexico once told us, that he went to buy the newspaper with his American cousin in USA, and since there was no one controlling the store, he decided to take 3 newspapers even though he had paid only for one. He said that his cousin, born and raised in the USA, did not allow him to do so and she paid for the extra 2 newspapers, because, she was already educated with the morals of that country, acording to this Mexican guy. Which makes me think that cheating is more of a Latin American cultural issue.
Valid questions would be, is there more pressure in Latin America to get good grades, or are the stakes higher (maybe less of a safety net)? Or, is the penalty for being caught cheating generally milder in Latin America? Or, is what's considered cheating in the US more culturally accepted in Latin America? I have heard that things that would be considered a bribe in the US are acceptable in Latin America, so maybe something similar is going on?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:11 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
On many occasions over the years, I remember looking over at a friend's paper to see if he'd marked down the same answer that I had for a given multiple choice question. Technically cheating, I suppose. Much more common was that I permitted people to cheat off me. In 7th grade, I was admitted to a 'gifted math program' at the local state university. Among the 59 other area 7th graders who enrolled in the program was a classmate/semi-friend from my relatively small school. He was quite intelligent but incredibly lazy, so it became a ritual on Mondays and Wednesdays for me to hand him my completed math homework at the beginning of the day so that he could copy it during scattered free time during classes. He typically wanted to have his copying done by our 7th period study hall (which the two of us had in place of math class) so that he could spend that time being a general nuisance to me as I attempted to get a head start on homework from other classes. Kid would always claim to be my friend, but he had a very odd way of showing affection

To the OP: congrats on being the reigning World Cup champs! I've been a soccer fan my entire life, and a participant for most of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education