Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 10:30 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
Really? I would say it would be easier to schedule since you are spreading over a larger time frame so there is less clashing. Kids won’t have only one choice to have one particular class they will have several so can pick what’s convenient for them so less complaining over one particular inflexible timetable.
Have you done master scheduling for a school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's too long a day for kids! Especially little ones, 10 hours?? The attention span probably wanes after 6-7 hours
I agree.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Colleges are able to do it. You pick the best time/day for your class.
We have 'ala carte' education classes options in k-12 public and private schools and local tutoring companies.
Mostly to cater to a very large homeschool network. Everyone likes the revenue and families enjoy some freedom. Neighbors with 4 kids were over last night for supper, and they're heading out on an 8 week fieldtrip, which we did often as well. Moving to another country for a few months is a pretty good learning experience.

We just put our 'wage-earning' aspirations on hold for 12+ yrs. No new cars, but no great loss. We maintained a farm, and designed and built a few houses as a family in our free time. $500k tax free gains every 2 yrs was a benefit over accumulative wage income of 1/4th that amount and 'wasting' 40- 60 hrs / week to be away from kids. Those experiences served the roll of a lot of math and science classes.

of course, YCDT (you-can't-do-that) if you want to abscribe to C-D 'professional' EDU process of raising and educating livestock style clones.

Heaven forbid there might be a more effective solution or option!

As ALWAYS... excuses (not creative solutions abound.... here)
Quote:
Developing a standard master schedule was challenging enough. I see your proposal as being nearly unmanageable.

arguing a child care angle. What do they do when school lets out and they're not home from work (or the bar) when their kid gets home?

Just what America's youth need- more time not in school.

I've never figured out how "enormous" the savings would be by cutting one day week.

Many parents cannot find child care for one day a week even if they could afford it. As bad as the education is that students get now, why try to cram it into 4 days?

educational benefits of 4-day school, it is all utter BS.

I wonder how these kids will handle the real world that works five days a week.

leave a child alone all day and "just see how that works", really?

Not true, the school is still open Custodians will be there the same amount of time , bus drivers , etc.
Thank goodness for a couple posters who can see through the smoke screen of YCDT. and add some value and interest and content to the discussion!
Quote:
Seems to be the world average:
https://www.smartick.com/data/wp-con...-1414x1200.jpg

I think the problem could be (at least partially resolved) with inexpensive summer camps for kids that are popular in other countries.
Such could be offered by schools, sport organizations, churches etc.

My point was why couldn’t school be open year round with multiple options for individual classes spread throughout the year and let the kids and parents pick their own schedule. For example have a 4 week block course of 6th grade level Romeo and Juliet in say January, July and November and let all 11-12 year olds pick when to go.

Here is another option
https://www.foxnews.com/media/san-fr...-fewer-schools
Several local districts near our USA locations do 4 day school.
  • Energy and cost savings are real (heat is turned down, no lights, no buses running, no kitchen useage, no vehicle trips for staff, parents, provisioners, or students)
  • There are well attended increased community education and service programs for students and parents.
  • HS kids are able to get jobs and internships on days off.
  • Many farm and ranch parents welcome the extra time kids have at home to help and to LEARN.
  • Grandparents love the extra time with kids.
  • Zoos, parks, museums, libraries all see increased attendance and some have changed to no admission charges for the weekdays kids are out of school.
  • Imagine incorporating local retirees / SAHM / available time for professionals (including teachers) to interface in 'Life Skills' programs outside of the school regiment and regulations (and documentation).
  • How about non age segregated learning and activies (I know... ILLEGAL in C-D YCDT), but it worked wonderful in my country school, as I still see it excel daily in private and Montessori schools.

Busses! Most of the world survives fine with no school busses, kids even go home for lunch in many countries. The physical exercise (and break, and food! and time with parents / grandparents + cleaning up and doing dishes) can be healthy! (in many ways)

The CONTACT hours are not of value, it's the CONTENT hours... School could easily be accomplished in 1/2 the time
Quote:
Sit in a staff meeting sometime. The best of us were good for a half hour or forty minutes. Most teachers lost it after ten.
(as our Homeschool kids commented from volunteering each week in PS... "If they listened and followed instruction and participated... they could be outta here by noon, Why waste the entire day couped up in a stuffy classroom?, Get out and explore, do something, learn something (outside of school) be useful, be creative")

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-05-2024 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-05-2024, 12:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's too long a day for kids! Especially little ones, 10 hours?? The attention span probably wanes after 6-7 hours
I'd say it wanes in even less time. Our school day is 6 hours and 45 minutes. My third and second graders are often "done" in less than 6.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:57 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We don't have to look far. Just look to poor neighborhoods where many, if not most, parents are working two jobs and are not home Saturdays and often not Sundays.
I've lived in quite a few larger cities, and this is NOT what I observe happening in the poor neighborhoods.
"Many or most" parents working two jobs and weekends?! LOL.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I've lived in quite a few larger cities, and this is NOT what I observe happening in the poor neighborhoods.
You can laugh all you like, but I had many students over the years who were in just that situation.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:12 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
That wasn't my experience either when I taught in a poorer school.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 5,873 times
No, I meant that Girls wouldn’t go near a Boy who stank of BO.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:54 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
No, I meant that Girls wouldn’t go near a Boy who stank of BO.
Like I said, that's changed. By a lot.

This had an impact:
https://www.axe.com/ca/en/p/green-ge...00079400500892

I graduated from high school in 1972 and showers after gym were required as part of the grade and athletes showered after a game before leaving.

By the time I started teaching twelve years later that had stopped and the showers were used for storage.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
This is ENTIRELY a money saving measure by mostly rural districts in red states. It lets them cut costs by paying everyone less from teachers to custodians to cafeteria workers to bus drivers.

Despite whatever mumbo jumble they might voice about the educational benefits of 4-day school, it is all utter BS.

When you see elite private college prep schools moving to 4-day weeks you will know it is for educational purposes. They would laugh at you if you suggested it.
I agree with you.

Washington state still refuses to fully fund rural education. I guess nobody cares about the McCleary decision now that the teachers got their salary raises.

I do know of one school district in Washington, where the students have been on a 4-day schedule for years. That is due to 1.5 hour, one way bus route. That is a long time for kids to be on a bus every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education