Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 AM

575 posts, read 883,869 times

Advertisements

I rank it as "not rude." In fact, when I moved here, I was really struck by how polite people were.

drivers not included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:37 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
People here aren't rude at all, especially for a city this size. Now drivers on the other hand. Maybe the steering wheel makes people stupid but the drivers here are just awful.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:19 PM

125 posts, read 191,127 times
No argument about the drivers. Nice people, horrible drivers.

It seems as though you can take perfectly nice, friendly people behind the wheel and all decorum goes out the window. For the longest time it seemed to be mostly "asleep at the wheel"-type drivers--no turn signals, texting, items flying out the back of their trucks, etc.

Now there seems to be an onslaught of "fast and furious" wannabees who have no control of their vehicles.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
People here aren't rude at all, especially for a city this size. Now drivers on the other hand. Maybe the steering wheel makes people stupid but the drivers here are just awful.
Try driving in the Bay Area. At least El Pasoans are slow and in no hurry behind the wheel. People here merge by stepping on the gas and blindly throwing themselves into the adjacent lane.

As far as rudeness, I would say that El Paso is the nicest large city I've ever lived. Austinites are pretty nice too.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:07 PM

47 posts, read 62,451 times
El Paso is by far a very unfriendly city. It's the only city in Texas with some of the rudest people I've never met. Having moved away, when I visit, I never even want to interact with anyone. I come back to do my business and leave immediately. The people are just so mean and really snotty. Anywhere else in the country people are a lot nicer. I don't get why El Paso is such an unfriendly city.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 PM

502 posts, read 391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
El Paso is by far a very unfriendly city. It's the only city in Texas with some of the rudest people I've never met. Having moved away, when I visit, I never even want to interact with anyone. I come back to do my business and leave immediately. The people are just so mean and really snotty. Anywhere else in the country people are a lot nicer. I don't get why El Paso is such an unfriendly city.
I really don't agree with this at all. Maybe cultural clashes made it seem this way to you? I love the peace El Paso has for a city its size.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:54 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Ive lived here since 96, and have lived all over the country. I find people pretty friendly here generally. Some people aren't fluent in English, so may not get the friendly jokes, or comments, so may seem unfriendly, but i think it is more a lack of language skills.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:41 AM

47 posts, read 62,451 times
I think it's the culture that makes the people come off as very unfriendly. El Paso has that border culture. From my experience, I found the people to be too cold for the most part. The worst was at UTEP. Many of the students were incredibly rude and I always dreaded having to interact with the faculty and staff there. 98% of them are just so mean. Sometimes I'd get yelled at for no reason. On top of that, El Paso has so many shady areas and is a shady city overall. Many people I know left and they have no regrets. I live in a much better place now.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
On top of that, El Paso has so many shady areas and is a shady city overall.
It’s true. Probably because of all the tall palm trees.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
I was refused service at a Mexican food restaurant in El Paso once and I have no idea why. They were clearly open as their were other customers eating. The waitress wouldn't seat me. She ran to the back and brought out an older woman who wouldn't help me. I asked for a table in Spanish and she just stood there. I left when I realized what was happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso