Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM

30 posts, read 294,738 times

Advertisements

Other than going to juarez, can you get good mexican food in El Paso like you would in san diego.I live in austin and everything here is Tex Mex Yuck.
Just Wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM

71 posts, read 346,138 times
There is a lot of good mexican food in El Paso.

I happen to like mexican food. You have to try a few places and find out which ones you like. Stay away from the chains and don't be shy to try some hole in wall places. My favorite is Tony's, the old one off of Lomaland (don't take a friend, it looks really bad inside but the food is good) and the new one off of Zaragoza :-) Very inexpensive too!

If you want to impress your friends take them to Leo's Mexican Elder on Chelsea. It's way out of route but good food and the right atmosphere.

If you have time to drive a little go all the way to New Mexico, actually only to Mesilla, take the Mesilla Exit and go left, go to the La Posta Restaurant. There you have great atmosphere, excellent service, waiters that take a picture of you and your guests without rolling their eyes, and it's not even expensive.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
I used to love PANCHO'S. Too bad its no longer in business. There are plenty of choices here, I would list a few of them, but I am not sure if I can. Make sure you get some rice water/milk ( porchata ) with your meal. I think you'll love the stuff.. my wife does.

Is GRIGGS still open, EPTEX?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 PM

71 posts, read 346,138 times
@ muhnay: The one on Montana is still open as far as I know but the one on Doniphan was sold if I remember correctly. We went to Griggs on Montana once 15 years ago, the food was horrible and so was the service, never went back. I always liked the Griggs on Doniphan.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Other than a few chains and fast food restaurants, Mexican food is about the only kind of food you'll find -- a lot of it very good. Some not.

Sometimes it's the holes in the walls that serve the best stuff. It depends on how "Mexican" you want your food to be -- sometimes what Americans like for Mexican food isn't even found in Mexico. Sometimes Americans who think they like Mexican food don't really like the real thing when they encounter it. Buche and tripas for example --- pretty authentic -- but yuck.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Have any of you ever had them lil orange chili peppers.. I had a friend in El Paso.. he made a pizza with them once.. OH MY GOD.. I thought I was gonna die.. HOT is an understatement.. WOOHOO! Atomic is more correct. But I have to mention I ended up liking it.. it was like a test of manhood with each bite.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Make sure you try the Taco Totes, and the Little Diner in Canutillo is actually somewhat famous. And inexpensive. New Mexican style food is very good -- Griggs on Doniphan used to have that but it shut down. Casa Jurado in Kern place is great food.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:41 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
The Mexican food in El Paso is simply tremendous.

I think my favorite meal though ever there was at a little place called J J's...it is in a strip mall in the Valley...on Doniphan Dr.; some of the best gorditas I have ever eaten. Go get three gorditas and wash them down with two (slowly paced) Tecates with lime, and you will leave a happy person!

Also...for a nice chain with a bit different Mexican cuisine than found in many EP restaurants...Barriga's is good. Good margaritas. They have locations in Juarez as well as El Paso.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 PM

There is a small place in a strip mall there on Woodrowbean Trans Mountian. Behind the old Smiths Store.. near EP-fitness.. Something Cafe.. they have some awesome food, give the a try. They were just up the street from me.. Yepp El Paso has some great Mexican Food..

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,220 times
You cannot go wrong with Mexican food in El Paso, there are soo many places that I can't even think of a best place to go to at the moment. Also, a great steakhouse FWIW, that I love is Cattlemans, I know its not Mexican but man they got the best steaks in town, it is about 20 minutes out of El Paso, close to Fabens but man those steaks are great! Try the ribeye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso