Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 01:58 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

https://insideevs.com/news/570461/fo...tion-pro-cost/

This is on the vehicle to load / vehicle to home side of things to give an idea of costs and capabilities.

The Charge Station Pro is Ford's specific way of doing it for its upcoming F-150 Lightning where the AC J1772 connector is used to charge up the vehicle while the CCS DC bits are used to move power from the vehicle to the the home. It's possible that this gets adopted as a standard, but who knows. It retails for $1,310, but the extended battery pack trims have it bundled in as standard.

It's an 80 amp bidirectional charger, but it's really two units mated into one (AC charging for the vehicle and DC output for vehicle to home). For maximum input and output, you'll need a 100 amp dedicated circuit which I think is going to be pretty rare. However, you can still use it with a lower amp dedicated circuit all the way down to a 20A dedicated circuit, it's just that your AC charging of the vehicle won't reach the 19.2 kW max vehicle charging output, and with that it can still deliver the max rated 40A / 9.6 kW output from the vehicle to your home.

I think what'll be interesting is when it's in people's hands and people start talking about the cost and ease of installation to make use of this thing and explore the specific use cases where this is helpful. I think if this becomes standard, then a 2 EV home with this ability and smart switching that allows the draw to go from one to another or with a supplemental stationary battery energy storage system will be pretty handy in emergencies, as this would mean that if for whatever reason power is getting drawn down and there's an intact public charging station somewhere in reasonable roundtrip driving distance, then the house can have power running continuously while an EV goes out to fetch more power to bring home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 09:23 AM

Volvo's doing a pilot of wireless charging at parking spots for a taxi company in Sweden: https://www.automotiveworld.com/news...ng-technology/

I think this will be present as a feature/option at the end of a decade. I think the wild card, and one I probably should have split on the original list, is wirelessly charging while the vehicle is *moving*

Old 05-17-2022, 12:33 AM

Hyundai getting into the vehicle to grid action with a pilot in Utrecht: https://cleantechnica.com/2022/05/02...power-utrecht/

Old 05-24-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm curious about just how much cost in total and design adjustments having more than one charging port on an EV takes. While no automaker or their client really wants extra expense, I wonder if there's actually all that much complexity and additional cost for such and what the trade-offs would be. I think this has some value to make it convenient to charge at different charger layouts, and perhaps even more so if the ports also output power.
So, it looks like GM's considering having more than one charge port which is pretty exciting:

https://insideevs.com/news/587807/gm...g-port-patent/

However, as the design is to have them side to side, it makes little difference in regards to flexibility of charger layouts save for if you're trying to juggle charging for two vehicles.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:14 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
With current lack of grid power there will be no more than 10% EVs by end of decade, so who cares?

Only way they will get close to 50% ratio is if we start reinvesting in Nuclear - and that takes at least 10 years

Old 05-24-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
With current lack of grid power there will be no more than 10% EVs by end of decade, so who cares?

Only way they will get close to 50% ratio is if we start reinvesting in Nuclear - and that takes at least 10 years
This is a bit off-topic, but I'll respond.

While I agree that the total US fleet might still be under 10% full EVs by the end of this decade, that won't be due to lack of "grid power". It's due to the fact that the US fleet is pushing over twelve years old and that's been increasing for years and meanwhile EV share, as in full battery electric vehicles, has remained under double-digit new vehicle market share and will likely do so again this year which would leave seven or eight years left in the decade depending on how you count it. To keep this somewhat on topic, I'll point out that I'm specifically referencing what will be *new* vehicles sold in 2030 by which point it's very likely that BEVs are the majority of new vehicles sales. However, as stated earlier, since vehicles are on the road for quite a while, then that means that even when we hit majority new vehicles sales being EVs, it'll still take a lag time of quite a while after that for the total fleet average gets to 50%. Incidentally, that average age of the US fleet and the difference between new vehicle composition and total fleet composition play a massive role in *why* lack of grid power is not an issue as that's then a very gradual ramp in consumption to adjust for amortized over a long period of time.

And you post in almost every EV topic so obviously you care a lot which is fine. This at least means you'll eventually get enough exposure to some of the neat features and advantages to EVs that you'll likely make a switch fairly soon. It's really people that don't at all know about EVs and hear little of them that probably are going to be hard to reach. You hanging around these topics means that you probably are somewhat absorbing how rapid the improvements have been, the variety of new features and tricks that EVs can do, the overall convenience and savings from charging at home, and the incredible performance offered from electric motors where large family sedans can hit quarter-mile numbers that are the domain of hypercars and yet in average daily driving gets better equivalent fuel economy than a Prius while offering a lot more room for people and property.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-24-2022 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 11:05 AM

Here's independent drive wheels on another vehicle (Mercedes EQG which is essentially an electric G-Class) and using it to do tank turns as the Rivian R1T which also has independent drive wheels can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHbJ7HN1sU

I don't see this as being a particularly good reason for having independent drive wheels in and of itself, but it does look fun. I assume we'll be seeing people doing this in big box store parking lots after hours, maybe even multiples of them in some bizarro world ballet.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:42 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

In California they're depending on wind and solar which isn't near enough now.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:45 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I'll respond.

While I agree that the total US fleet might still be under 10% full EVs by the end of this decade, that won't be due to lack of "grid power". It's due to the fact that the US fleet is pushing over twelve years old and that's been increasing for years and meanwhile EV share, as in full battery electric vehicles, has remained under double-digit new vehicle market share and will likely do so again this year which would leave seven or eight years left in the decade depending on how you count it. To keep this somewhat on topic, I'll point out that I'm specifically referencing what will be *new* vehicles sold in 2030 by which point it's very likely that BEVs are the majority of new vehicles sales. However, as stated earlier, since vehicles are on the road for quite a while, then that means that even when we hit majority new vehicles sales being EVs, it'll still take a lag time of quite a while after that for the total fleet average gets to 50%. Incidentally, that average age of the US fleet and the difference between new vehicle composition and total fleet composition play a massive role in *why* lack of grid power is not an issue as that's then a very gradual ramp in consumption to adjust for amortized over a long period of time.

And you post in almost every EV topic so obviously you care a lot which is fine. This at least means you'll eventually get enough exposure to some of the neat features and advantages to EVs that you'll likely make a switch fairly soon. It's really people that don't at all know about EVs and hear little of them that probably are going to be hard to reach. You hanging around these topics means that you probably are somewhat absorbing how rapid the improvements have been, the variety of new features and tricks that EVs can do, the overall convenience and savings from charging at home, and the incredible performance offered from electric motors where large family sedans can hit quarter-mile numbers that are the domain of hypercars and yet in average daily driving gets better equivalent fuel economy than a Prius while offering a lot more room for people and property.

But you can buy gas around the corner, you can't recharge there.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
But you can buy gas around the corner, you can't recharge there.
Yea if you live on a corner where there's a gas station, for sure. Generally, the people who buy EVs right now are those who can easily charge at home. They don't need to go around the corner or to go off and found a corner elsewhere so much as they just need to have a home. It's cheaper and more convenient that way.

However, it doesn't seem like you read what you're quoting since there's pretty much no relation to anything being said. That's just how it goes though and I can go with it. The years eat everyone up eventually. Do you live alone?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-24-2022 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles