Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 02:44 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I spent about $150 for some wire and a receptacle and box. I was lucky though because my breaker panel is in my garage next to where I park.
Initially I did the same. I was using the Tesla mobile charger with a 14-50 adapter. I only upgraded because of the power company program. We knew the panel needed upgrading for the hot tub, why not take advantage?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-22-2023, 03:30 PM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I had an electrician did my 240 circuits and added my home chargers. He says a lot of home he’s checked out he couldn’t do it without major work in their circuit breaker board and incoming wiring. Most outdated homes cannot handle the load. So the government really should step in and push utilities to upgrade all home circuits and wiring for free.
That means other consumers get to pay for the luxury of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
What!?!? Why is it the government's job to push for anything? And, the costs of those upgrades would be passed on to the consumer. Nothing in this world is "free", except for the air you breathe. You'll be paying for it one way or another. It just isn't ethical to raise everyone's rates to pay for the upgrades of a few.
If anyone wants and can afford an EV, then they can also afford to pay for the charging facility. The cost of the charging facility must be included in the financing cost of the vehicle. It is also unfair to load insurance premiums for all insurers to cover the extra burden of insuring EVs.

I must admit though that I would prefer to see EVs parked and charged outside of the house.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
The biggest barrier to getting the EV is having the charging equipment and station. You can’t tell me that renters that will not be living at a place more than one year has to foot the bill to install chargers. These are costs the government and utilities need to spend to upgrade the infrastructure. We will end up with more ppl just not gonna bother with EV. Most people don’t even know there’s a mandate to stop selling gas cars.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Well looking back at it the video covered this but I think it's a big component. There was an EV craze. People went crazy over them. I think these people have always existed is just most electric cars up until musk bought Tesla just remained in obscurity. You had to be a very particular car enthusiast to even know about many of them. But as Tesla made more and more cars and gained more attention. And they were really neat cars

So finally this group of car enthusiast has something more permanent to be enthusiastic about. And they bought up the models. Simply saturating market.

Essentially the people that want them have them.

One area that might be a market to capture is small pickup trucks. The way they determine rules on emissions which is very dumb but essentially a tiny 2002 Toyota Tacoma can't exist now because it's determined that it pollutes too much but not a big F150.

EVs aren't bound by emissions so small truck enthusiasts might be a new market to capture.

EV can bring back some older styles that people miss but I think so many of them focus on looking cutting edge.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:07 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Business Insider had a piece on this in August. It seems as though demand has plateaued; the early adopters have bought their EV's, but the general public is being more cautious.

It probably comes down to two major factors. First, the general economy is a bit shaky right now, inflation still high, massive government deficit, rumblings of war in the Middle East etc. People tend to sit on big ticket purchases in times of uncertainty.

Second, while EV's are an appealing technology, they are different enough that people are still a bit squeamish. For the immediate future, they're going to be a "second car" for people who want the novelty and convenience, but not as a main vehicle good for all contingencies such as long vacations or cross-country moves.

I suspect young people, college aged or thereabouts, will be more enthusiastic adopters so as they get into the job market, they'll make up a major part of EV demand. Right now, teens & early 20s are all buying electric scooters & e-bikes. As they get more cash, they'll likely gravitate to affordable EV's -- when such exists.
We just pulled in an hour or so ago. Had we been in just about any EV we would have had to stop and charge in the middle of the middle of nowhere. Now, some will say to just take a route that has chargers. That would add 150 miles to the trip, one way.

The Forester still has 200 miles of gas left in it.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:15 PM

I drove from South Amboy, NJ to Germantown, NY yesterday to pick up over 300lbs of brewing malt. Charged once for 20 minutes while eating lunch. Cost me $17 in fuel to drive about 275 miles. Could I have done it quicker in the Outback? Sure, but for $50 or so in fuel and not eating or pissing for 8 or so total hours which would have been stupid.

Pardon me for getting frustrated when idiots say, “they don’t work.”

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-22-2023, 05:26 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I drove from South Amboy, NJ to Germantown, NY yesterday to pick up over 300lbs of brewing malt. Charged once for 20 minutes while eating lunch. Cost me $17 in fuel to drive about 275 miles.

Pardon me for getting frustrated when idiots say, “they don’t work.”
Who said they "don't work"?

What I said was that for me, for today's trip, one likely wouldn't work.

You went 140 miles, one way, on mostly urban, or densely developed, Interstates.

I was on an Interstate for 20 miles, that has no chargers at any of the three exits. Actually there isn't much but cows and cornfields at those exits. Wait, I was also on an Interstate for 15 miles or so 45 minutes after I left my house.

I have a question since so many brag about the 0-60 in 4 or 5 seconds: what good does that do in the bumper to bumper traffic of most urban roads?

Old 10-22-2023, 05:31 PM

You need to consult a map if you think Ulster, Dutchess, and Columbia Counties, NY are urban areas.

The key to my story is I drove 275 miles for a pittance with zero inconvenience in the same car that provides 110% convenience for my daily driving.

And I wasn’t talking about you. If I was, I’d have quoted you. Another beef of mine. People who don’t quote me but make wild claims about my belief system. (You know who you are, I don’t forget)

I said I have beef with people who say they don’t work. If that’s not you, then I wasn’t talking about you. Words have meaning.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:35 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
That’s the problem? A lot truck drivers are contractors and many don’t speak any English or have any education and we need them to go figure out where to charge the EV truck.

Old 10-22-2023, 05:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Well looking back at it the video covered this but I think it's a big component. There was an EV craze. People went crazy over them. I think these people have always existed is just most electric cars up until musk bought Tesla just remained in obscurity. You had to be a very particular car enthusiast to even know about many of them. But as Tesla made more and more cars and gained more attention. And they were really neat cars

So finally this group of car enthusiast has something more permanent to be enthusiastic about. And they bought up the models. Simply saturating market.

Essentially the people that want them have them.

One area that might be a market to capture is small pickup trucks. The way they determine rules on emissions which is very dumb but essentially a tiny 2002 Toyota Tacoma can't exist now because it's determined that it pollutes too much but not a big F150.

EVs aren't bound by emissions so small truck enthusiasts might be a new market to capture.

EV can bring back some older styles that people miss but I think so many of them focus on looking cutting edge.
I think safety regulations killed the small trucks. It's hard to cram a dozen airbags in a truck the size of a 2002 Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles