Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:04 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,681,108 times

Advertisements

The new Tesla CyberTruck has come out with at least 4 new innovations that might become commonplace someday on other vehicles.

1. Real wheel steering: The rear wheels turn also. I find it hard to believe this will become other than a niche item.

2. Steer by wire: As I understand it there is no mechanical connection between your steering wheel and the things that actually do the turning. It's a "signal" that goes to the device. I guess this is used widely throughout aviation.

I could possibly see this being implemented more widely if it saved money, but if I was an Safety Admin I sure would be worried about 20 million again cars having this without a way to ensure it's working.

3. Wiring using Ethernet. Apparently instead of using "regular" wiring, they are using Ethernet to pass data and power throughout the vehicle. Because of it's superior bandwidth, apparently it's a much smarter option. To me, this is one that probably will catch on. No downside and probably will be a cost saver. The engineers at Tesla were basically saying that when you compare the 2 systems the only reason to do it the old way is because you've always done it that way.

4. 48 Volt architecture instead of 12 volt. I guess some cars have had some partial systems converted to 48 volt but this is the first full implementation of it. The hard part on this is all automotive systems for last 50 years have been built for 12 volt so the "inertia" to switch is very hard. Tesla had to manufacture or work with sub-contractors to develop every component working at 48 volts versus 12.

Apparently this saves a great deal of copper needed throughout the vehicle.

Tesla said they sent a manual to every manufacturer about how to implement a 48 volt architecture. Most thought they were joking but Ford said they got it, and it meshed with their own work on implementing a 48 volt system.

Even Tesla had said they will se this going forward (like for Model 2) but made no promises about putting it in current Models like the 3 or Y.

It make take 10 years or so but I could see a move for items 3 and 4 to become fairly widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 11:11 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,046,766 times
For #1, 4 wheel steering has been around for a while. I had an '89 Honda Prelude with it. It was pretty cool.

I could see 2, 3, 4 being adopted. Whatever an auto manufacturer can do to save a few bucks.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:49 AM

12,532 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Tesla's vertical integration model means they have little reliance on component suppliers to get things done - here this allowed them to move decisively on implementing the 48V low voltage system - something the traditional automakers have been talking about doing for decades but getting nowhere in accomplishing.

I heard some comments from Ford CEO Jim Farley this summer indicating that Ford intended to move towards more vertical integration for their EV business, so maybe that will give them an avenue to implementing this 48V low voltage system as well.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:36 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,241,467 times
Rear Wheel Steering - as noted earlier, this has been around in mainstream vehicles for decades first for performance reasons and later in GMC/Chevy trucks to reduce turning radius.

Steer by Wire - interesting concept that can save money but increases reliance on more processors.

Ethernet - it's been around for some time with VW, BMW, and Jaguar having used it in some models since 2017.

48V Architecture - interesting idea but not really doable in ICE vehicles, hybrids and full electrics it's doable - note that the Cybertruck is the first Tesla using 48V and existing Tesla models will use a 12V battery for some time.

As someone else noted, Tesla is vertically integrated and makes much of their systems in house. Other automakers rely on outside suppliers for development and manufacturing and without major push from all automakers, it's costly.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:48 AM

30,485 posts, read 19,246,478 times
I believe all will eventually be adopted by the general auto world as has been the pattern of technology eventually being adopted as mainstream.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
I have no desire for any of those features, especially steering by wire. Suppose the signal fails on a winding road, with cliffs, and you cannot steer? Even with a backup battery it's just too risky. The more we go to computerized electronics the more we tempt fate. We have all experienced "bugs" in our computers, tablets and phones. Now we're talking about a device with about 200 semiconductors.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:15 AM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
1. Not an innovation. Old. Troublesome. PITA. Does help your turning radius though. Everyone pretty much took it out when it broke before.

2. Not an innovation. Nissan did it years ago, with a redundant mechanical linkage. Toyota has on the god awful electric thing they make currently with steer by wire only. Sounds like Tesla learned how to do it from Toyota though so it doesn't have the flaw like on the Model S with the yoke where the steering was not variable enough for use in parking lots.

3. No idea. Most cars don't need gigabit connections. It's not like it's expensive though. Not sure, it's not that difficult to splice in a wiring harness versus Cat6 it's all going to be internal. I'm always on the lookout for companies doing things to make stuff harder to repair rather than for any actual purpose, but sometimes that means I find it where it isn't there.

4. No idea. Certainly for cars with mild hybrid systems or electric superchargers/turbochargers, 48v would be beneficial. They run a separate electrical system just for those. Plus stuff like power steering, pumps, AC compressors, it's all going electric now. The benefits seem less on an EV. Tesla runs the climate control off the traction battery although they probably do power steering and brake booster and water pump off the 12v. Those would all see some benefits, not really sure how much. Anyone priced out what a 48V costs? Might not even be relevant today since they're not common so probably expensive.

The most interesting thing to me is the exoskeleton idea. Hit and run minor parking garage incident was $2,000 some for a front bumper cover and fender and paint. Cybertruck probably wouldn't have had any damage at all.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:56 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,876,453 times
As long as the styling isn't adopted universally, all will be fine. It's almost an insult to humanity to create something as hideous as the Cybertruck.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:27 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times
Steer-by-wire is one i have my eye on, along with the reduced steering wheel turning range.

I have my eye on it more for safety and reliability.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:37 AM

12,532 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Steer-by-wire is one i have my eye on, along with the reduced steering wheel turning range.

I have my eye on it more for safety and reliability.
I also like this idea - it sounds like it gives more flexibility to designers to tailor the system's responsiveness in different situations. Using software, they could constrain it to behave like a simpler mechanical linkage as a special case, or, try to optimize things better - as it sounds like they did in the Cybertruck.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-13-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles