Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 10:57 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
EVs are also more expensive,.insurance costs more,parts cost more and takes longer to repair.
Yep but they take far less to fuel and there is less maintenance required. I'm saving about $2500/YR on energy costs for my Model Y for the last 3.5 years and have had zero maintenance on it now with 46K miles on it. The Model Y is also smoother , faster, and cheaper than comparable ICE crossover SUV's.

I'm waiting now on my Cybertruck order which will be cheaper to buy, faster, far cheaper to fuel, and will outhandle and out-steer a comparable ICE pickup truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 11:46 PM

84 posts, read 80,734 times
Whether or not EVs win out in the long term based on economics remains to be seen. But, if EVs can approximate the cost of ICE cars without government interference, then the ICE crowd has no argument. Driving an ICE car will become a hobbyist thing, or pure virtue signaling.

You gotta appreciate the cost of gas staying so low, too. Despite the fact that all the easy-to-reach oil was pumped out of the ground many decades ago, the cost of gas at the pump has stayed mostly the same. $3.50 gas in 2023 is a very good deal. Gas was about $0.30 in 1960 -- which would be about $3.25 in today's dollars. That blows my mind.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:13 AM

369 posts, read 105,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
EVs are also more expensive,.insurance costs more,parts cost more and takes longer to repair.
My Chevy Bolt cost $25k without incentives, costs the same to insure as my MINI Cooper and has little to no maintenance. Oh, and it costs about $7 to go 300 miles.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan91 View Post
Whether or not EVs win out in the long term based on economics remains to be seen. But, if EVs can approximate the cost of ICE cars without government interference, then the ICE crowd has no argument. Driving an ICE car will become a hobbyist thing, or pure virtue signaling.

You gotta appreciate the cost of gas staying so low, too. Despite the fact that all the easy-to-reach oil was pumped out of the ground many decades ago, the cost of gas at the pump has stayed mostly the same. $3.50 gas in 2023 is a very good deal. Gas was about $0.30 in 1960 -- which would be about $3.25 in today's dollars. That blows my mind.
Yes, and this is why I'm willing to pay $4 or even more to keep my 3 ICE vehicles running. It's still a reasonable expense considering the benefits of burning gas for people that do a lot of road trips, pulling trailers, and just love the sounds and smells of it. What amazes me is that people buy bottled water like crazy, and at the average price it costs approximately $9.60 per gallon, over twice as much as gas.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:41 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
My Chevy Bolt cost $25k without incentives, costs the same to insure as my MINI Cooper and has little to no maintenance. Oh, and it costs about $7 to go 300 miles.
It doesn't matter if the Bolt cost $5k and cost nothing to maintain. The problem with EVs for anyone who used it is the lack of conveniences. Wasted time > gas money saved.

Anyone who has went on vacation for 3-5 days will understand that renting an EV and waste an average 30mins to 2 hours to find chargers and then another 45-90mins to charge the EV is cutting out valuable time from what limited vacation time there is.

Until the infrastructure improves to the point that EVs can park and charge anywhere and charge time is under 20mins to full. That will be the day that EV is the unequivocal choice.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep but they take far less to fuel and there is less maintenance required. I'm saving about $2500/YR on energy costs for my Model Y for the last 3.5 years and have had zero maintenance on it now with 46K miles on it. The Model Y is also smoother , faster, and cheaper than comparable ICE crossover SUV's.

I'm waiting now on my Cybertruck order which will be cheaper to buy, faster, far cheaper to fuel, and will outhandle and out-steer a comparable ICE pickup truck.
How far can it go without charging while towing a 6,000 lb. trailer? My F150 drops to 11 mpg but still goes 396 miles on a tank of gas with our trailer, and we often drive farther than that in a day (with a 10 minute gas stop). My biggest problem with the Cybertruck is the looks, but as you know that's a love or hate thing.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:37 PM

85 posts, read 39,538 times
In September 2023 US EV sales surpassed all of 2022. So the 4th Q plus a bit will all be extra for 2023.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:09 PM

369 posts, read 105,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It doesn't matter if the Bolt cost $5k and cost nothing to maintain. The problem with EVs for anyone who used it is the lack of conveniences. Wasted time > gas money saved.
Bull****. Most people don't drive more than 35 miles a day. Most driving is day to day errand running and commuting. VERY little is more than 300 miles. AAA and the insurance companies track these things as they need to know for actuarial tables for risk and for making sure that services are available when needed.

Which means that the convenience of never needing to GO anywhere in day to day driving to fill up or top off outweighs the VERY slight additional time on a 300+ mile road trip. By a LOT. Again, I don't think you ever actually HAD an EV with all the misinformation you regularly spout.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Quote:
Bull****. Most people don't drive more than 35 miles a day. Most driving is day to day errand running and commuting. VERY little is more than 300 miles. AAA and the insurance companies track these things as they need to know for actuarial tables for risk and for making sure that services are available when needed.

Which means that the convenience of never needing to GO anywhere in day to day driving to fill up or top off outweighs the VERY slight additional time on a 300+ mile road trip. By a LOT. Again, I don't think you ever actually HAD an EV with all the misinformation you regularly spout.
You can call BS all you want but most people don't live in a house and nowhere to charge their EVs also. So who cares if they don't drive much. Where can they charge their EVs. Do they have to drive miles to park and charge every night? You are in the minority like me, I have 2 car garage and chargers at my disposal. Are we gonna claim that everybody has access to charging network where they live.

This is why people like you make other EV owners look bad, you are too entitled.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:

True, but you could also get something like the new Prius that has 644 miles of range. For someone that drives 20 miles per day they'd only need to fill up once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles