Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:29 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,888,970 times

Advertisements

Why Wisconsin may start taxing EV chargers....

Electric vehicle charging stations could spring up at gas stations and grocery stores throughout Wisconsin, after the state Senate passed a proposed bill on Tuesday.

The bill, which passed by a 30-2 vote, would ease restrictions on businesses that install chargers and impose a tax on electricity sold to electric vehicle owners.

The tax would slap a 3-cent levy on each kilowatt hour of electricity sold to a vehicle owner.

https://abc11.com/why-wisconsin-may-...gers/14332813/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 03:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
As mentioned many times, someone who can't charge at home would probably be better served by a traditional hybrid like a Prius.

People who charge at home don't rely on public chargers very often.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:21 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times
I used a Supercharger for the first time this year this past Sunday. I most likely won’t use one again until March when I drive to Wisconsin.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-19-2024, 10:54 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
As mentioned many times, someone who can't charge at home would probably be better served by a traditional hybrid like a Prius.

People who charge at home don't rely on public chargers very often.
Yes, as i recall, at least one EV owners survey also took a little data on the respondents, and those who had set up Level 2 charging at their home were much more likely to be satisfied than those who didn't.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:07 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Over the past year - I put in about 4200 kWh of juice in my car.

Of those, 35 kWh was via supercharger, 155 was via L1 outside of my home (the SO's house). The remainder was at my own house.

And yea - there would be little chance of me owning an EV as a primary car if I didn't have the ability to charge from home.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:16 AM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Over the past year - I put in about 4200 kWh of juice in my car.

Of those, 35 kWh was via supercharger, 155 was via L1 outside of my home (the SO's house). The remainder was at my own house.

And yea - there would be little chance of me owning an EV as a primary car if I didn't have the ability to charge from home.
Yea, I reckon that EVs without dedicated charging at home will remain very much a niche option until towards the end of the decade when households with pathways towards charging at home is pretty much saturated at around half of US households.

I think this makes for a pretty good ramp overall since those households will still want deployment of some public charging for longer travels so it allows for a slow creep up of people that have to rely on public charging or workplace charging to slowly go up while battery improvements make fast charging roughly equal to the experience with filling up with gasoline with a small, but notable in parts contribution of slower level 2 public charging at places where people tend to park their vehicles a bit longer than usual.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
With the existing battery charging technology of today, the only way you can accomplish faster charge speeds is by reducing the size of the battery. There is no other way possible, because the faster you charge a battery the warmer it becomes. A wider patch for the current to flow into the battery is possible, and this in turn allows for faster charging for a certain period of time before the battery starts overheating, but that's about it. The following is being explored:

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/202...-range-anxiety
Quote:
“Range anxiety is a greater barrier to electrification in transportation than any of the other barriers, like cost and capability of batteries, and we have identified a pathway to eliminate it using rational electrode designs,” said Lynden Archer, Cornell’s James A. Friend Family Distinguished Professor of Engineering and dean of Cornell Engineering, who oversaw the project. “If you can charge an EV battery in five minutes, I mean, gosh, you don’t need to have a battery that’s big enough for a 300-mile range. You can settle for less, which could reduce the cost of EVs, enabling wider adoption.”
It all means that if there are more charging stations along the way, your EV won't need a large or long-range battery. This in turn helps the driver save time at the charging station. Also, smaller batteries are lighter than large or higher capacity ones. But again, these are plans for the future of EV batteries being explored in 2024.

About electrification for EV drivers: in a lot of places where there are large congregations of buildings with high realestate and rent costs (Manhattan, for example), this won't happen any time soon.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-22-2024 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 01:15 AM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
With the existing battery charging technology of today, the only way you can accomplish faster charge speeds is by reducing the size of the battery. There is no other way possible, because the faster you charge a battery the warmer it becomes. A wider patch for the current to flow into the battery is possible, and this in turn allows for faster charging for a certain period of time before the battery starts overheating, but that's about it. The following is being explored:

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/202...-range-anxiety

It all means that if there are more charging stations along the way, your EV won't need a large or long-range battery. This in turn helps the driver save time at the charging station. Also, smaller batteries are lighter than large or higher capacity ones. But again, these are plans for the future of EV batteries being explored in 2024.

About electrification for EV drivers: in a lot of places where there are large congregations of buildings with high realestate and rent costs (Manhattan, for example), this won't happen any time soon.
You're going about this completely wrong. You need larger capacity batteries, not smaller capacity batteries. Generally, the charging rate gets higher with larger capacity, and the added weight (and thus loss of efficiency) of adding more capacity is more than offset by the energy and charging rate improvements added by that capacity.

I've tried explaining this to you, but you simply do not understand it so I won't try again for you as it's a lost cause. I'm writing this for anyone else on this forum so that they don't end up misinformed by you.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:14 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're going about this completely wrong. You need larger capacity batteries, not smaller capacity batteries. Generally, the charging rate gets higher with larger capacity, and the added weight (and thus loss of efficiency) of adding more capacity is more than offset by the energy and charging rate improvements added by that capacity.

I've tried explaining this to you, but you simply do not understand it so I won't try again for you as it's a lost cause. I'm writing this for anyone else on this forum so that they don't end up misinformed by you.
I posted a link that refers to what US electrical engineers are discussing about decreasing the amount of time EV drivers would like to spend at a charging station. All that is being discussed by the professors relates to having EV drivers spend somewhere around 5 minutes at the charging station.

But I will refer to battery charging at a basic level: of two batteries that are in the same condition, chemically or otherwise, same temperature, using the same charging rate, and so on, the larger of the two will always take longer to charge, from discharged to fully charged (100%).

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-23-2024 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 05:53 AM

7,285 posts, read 5,165,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

But I will refer to battery charging at a basic level: of two batteries that are in the same condition, chemically or otherwise, same temperature, using the same charging rate, and so on, the larger of the two will always take longer to charge, from discharged to fully charged (100%).
Simple but exact analogy-- a larger gas tank takes longer to fill than a smaller one...The difference is, a gas tank doesn't wear out faster when you charge it faster.

EVs are going thru the growing pains that ICE vehicles went thru 100 - 120 y/a when "Get a horse!" was the standard joke when an ICE failed.

Right now, manufacturers are fighting the Range Anxiety deterrent that prevents higher sales levels. They're trying to fight it by increasing range capacity with bigger batteries-- but bigger batteries means not only longer charge times (the second major obstruction to sales) but also more inefficiency in charging....

Maybe the solution is counter-intuitive--- smaller batteries and smaller but many more charging stations--> more frequent need for charging, but smaller/faster and more available charging stations...Remember when every intersection of any consequence had four gas stations on the four corners?

The OP is about WI encouraging more charging stations while at the same time it's really a bill to enhance tax revenues....Ironic that WI is a state with cold winters, large amounts of snow & ice on roads to contend with and 75% of the population lives in rural settings-- not the niche for which EVs are well suited....And yet, the bill passed 30-2 in a Republican dominated legislature.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 01-24-2024 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles