Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 07:35 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times

Advertisements

That was so weirdly off topic that I’m inclined to leave it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:41 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
So I went looking to see if there were any metrics available that showed some of the progress that you'd think would be underway at these EA stations, and sure enough, in their 2023 annual report executive summary, they had some good info.
https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/238

I lifted my favorite graphic out of that. This shows that even during a period where they are experiencing strong growth in charging sessions provided, the number of service visits they've had to dispatch has been declining significantly. Further, they say that they've found that the new hardware cuts the number of service visits required per charger by 80% relative to their previous generation chargers, which is a huge improvement. They still have a bunch of previous generation chargers out there, but that means things will only get better. Kudos to Electrify America.

Attached Thumbnails
Progress At Electrify America-ea-improvement1.gif  

Old 02-21-2024, 11:01 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
^ Hopefully.

Bay Area is mostly older ones since it was the first built out, although they've been getting replaced

Old 02-22-2024, 09:34 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So I went looking to see if there were any metrics available that showed some of the progress that you'd think would be underway at these EA stations, and sure enough, in their 2023 annual report executive summary, they had some good info.
https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/238

I lifted my favorite graphic out of that. This shows that even during a period where they are experiencing strong growth in charging sessions provided, the number of service visits they've had to dispatch has been declining significantly. Further, they say that they've found that the new hardware cuts the number of service visits required per charger by 80% relative to their previous generation chargers, which is a huge improvement. They still have a bunch of previous generation chargers out there, but that means things will only get better. Kudos to Electrify America.
Yea, this tracks with what I've been seeing on other forums where there's a lot of divided opinion on how reliable EA chargers are. Basically, the newer ones are a lot more reliable than the older ones so if you happen to live near the older installs, your experience is probably going to be bad and meanwhile those living near the newer ones will be confused by all these accounts of EA chargers failing. These would generally be in the comments of the topics since it's more likely to be people angry about how chargers aren't working who will start a thread rather than people for which charging went just fine and was otherwise unremarkable. That's a pretty good sign for EA and it sort of makes more sense now that I see the first two cycles were meant to be kind of temporary in the first place--still seems like a bit of a gamble to **** a lot of people off from the beginning though even if it's a relatively small number of people.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:46 AM

369 posts, read 105,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's a pretty good sign for EA and it sort of makes more sense now that I see the first two cycles were meant to be kind of temporary in the first place--still seems like a bit of a gamble to **** a lot of people off from the beginning though even if it's a relatively small number of people.
Well, you have to remember that they were set up by VW originally as penance for the Dieselgate fiasco, so they were really not that into it to start with.

But like I said in my thread on the road trip, I had no issues all the way down to Florida and back. The only one that was problematic was an old EVGo station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles