Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:53 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

But lets be real, how many owners of pickups actually use them for anything but hauling some stuff they picked up at a yard sale or a couple bags of mulch for the flower beds? All this towing nonsense means very little as the bulk of users will not be towing anything but a camper and odds are it's only to the lake at the nearby state park. Any serious heavy-duty or commercial user will be looking for maximum versatility, (ice vehicles at the top) not the latest "look what I bought" fad. Electric pickups will sell well, but not because of their "roughed" ability but for the same reason Bitsy and Chad own their current pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:59 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think your use case of up in Alaska outside of the panhandle and towing 250-300 miles with a large load is going to take several years before the trucks reach purchase price parity. I think in that situation, the only EV that would make sense from now to the next several years is the daily driver if you have a multi-vehicle household and there was a vehicle within your household that was more of a commuter, errand runner and people mover that does not need to tow large loads over hundreds of miles in sub-freezing Alaskan weather and you have charging at home. AWD is pretty easy to get with EVs without adding that much price for the most part since there's no complicated mechanical linkage. However, since there's little in subcompact / compact vehicles in the US market, you'll likely need to pay in the $40K-$50K range for a new vehicle though you can potentially get $7,500 or more off from tax credits / rebates. That's about middle of the pack for new vehicle transaction prices in the US regardless of powertrain type right now.

Agree that it would be easy to do but they don't make those. All the AWD EVs I've seen are the "long range" models and higher trim, meaning a bigger and more expensive battery that I don't need for going to work and back (9 miles round trip) and running errands. It adds at least $15K to the base price. If I'm missing something let me know. Meanwhile I'll just keep driving my 2001 Mountaineer until it gets too expensive to maintain.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:17 PM

19,778 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But lets be real, how many owners of pickups actually use them for anything but hauling some stuff they picked up at a yard sale or a couple bags of mulch for the flower beds? All this towing nonsense means very little as the bulk of users will not be towing anything but a camper and odds are it's only to the lake at the nearby state park. Any serious heavy-duty or commercial user will be looking for maximum versatility, (ice vehicles at the top) not the latest "look what I bought" fad. Electric pickups will sell well, but not because of their "roughed" ability but for the same reason Bitsy and Chad own their current pickup.
Never been to Montana, eh?

Old 04-05-2024, 01:43 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Which is capability. Most Corvettes never do anything but sedately drive around and carry some golf clubs but it's the image that they can that is important. Same for pickups even if they never hold anything more than a bag of soccer balls and some cones.

I've had trucks twice and it was for towing. The S-15 got replaced with a Dodge Ram 2500 when I needed more truck. I liked the S-15 more but it didn't do the job anymore so it had to go. Towing is really the only reason I looked at potentially replacing the Prius with a truck. I gave up on it. I don't want to pay for the gas on a truck all the time for the small amount of towing I'd do. Electrics weren't available and then the range and price aren't attractive now that they are. The $80,000 for a 4WT I can't get is $30,000 more than I wanted to spend. I just got another car and I'll keep renting trucks as needed. It's not cheap renting trucks though. If you need it more than occasionally, just buy a truck.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:40 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Agree that it would be easy to do but they don't make those. All the AWD EVs I've seen are the "long range" models and higher trim, meaning a bigger and more expensive battery that I don't need for going to work and back (9 miles round trip) and running errands. It adds at least $15K to the base price. If I'm missing something let me know. Meanwhile I'll just keep driving my 2001 Mountaineer until it gets too expensive to maintain.

Sure, list out the requirements on top of AWD for this daily driver, and I can try thinking over if there's something currently or soon to be released that can work.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:09 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, list out the requirements on top of AWD for this daily driver, and I can try thinking over if there's something currently or soon to be released that can work.

Just to be clear, I have two vehicles, a pickup for doing "truck stuff" and Mountaineer for going to work and running around town errands. The Mountaineer gets started cold, runs a few miles and then is shut down. Because of that and the fact that it has a V8, the mileage ain't great. It is now 24 years old and I see needing to replace it in a few years. We are in Anchorage, Alaska and AWD is a must-have for me and it gets cold. Not like Fairbanks, but numerous mornings with temps below 0*F.

Now, don't try and tell me I can get by with a FWD car. I can. I could run circles around most people on snow and ice with a 2 wheel drive car. I've also pounded in nails using a Crescent wrench. It can be done, but wrong tool for the job.

I'm sticking with an ICE pickup but when I need to replace the Mountaineer I am interested in an EV. Has to have a little bit of ground clearance too as our city snow plowing leaves something to be desired. My wife drives a Subaru Forester. Something similar to that. EVs I've looked at that are similar are well north of a Forester or Outback price-wise. I don't need nothing fancy.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:02 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, I have two vehicles, a pickup for doing "truck stuff" and Mountaineer for going to work and running around town errands. The Mountaineer gets started cold, runs a few miles and then is shut down. Because of that and the fact that it has a V8, the mileage ain't great. It is now 24 years old and I see needing to replace it in a few years. We are in Anchorage, Alaska and AWD is a must-have for me and it gets cold. Not like Fairbanks, but numerous mornings with temps below 0*F.

Now, don't try and tell me I can get by with a FWD car. I can. I could run circles around most people on snow and ice with a 2 wheel drive car. I've also pounded in nails using a Crescent wrench. It can be done, but wrong tool for the job.

I'm sticking with an ICE pickup but when I need to replace the Mountaineer I am interested in an EV. Has to have a little bit of ground clearance too as our city snow plowing leaves something to be desired. My wife drives a Subaru Forester. Something similar to that. EVs I've looked at that are similar are well north of a Forester or Outback price-wise. I don't need nothing fancy.
Yep, clear on what you're saying. I don't think there's going to be a sold EV pickup for where you are and how you use it that's of a reasonable price point and it'll be several years before that's available.

A daily driver EV though *might* be reasonable, so that's what I'm talking about for a suggestion. Forester purchase prices are going to be hard to match, but lease deals like this one on the Solterra are going to be somewhat competitive. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait a few more years.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:36 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:

Used. Basically throw a dart at the Model Y, Ioniq 5, Solterra/BZ4x, MachE, XC40/Polestar 2 and they're all in the 28-35k range gently used. Depreciation is

Ground clearance pretty much has you limited to the Solterra/BZ4x and MAYBE an Audi e-Tron, 8-8.5 inches. e-Tron uses air suspension though so oof when that breaks on you. Very nice car though, would be a 2019-2020 with some more miles though for ~30k. The rest are standard sedan ground clearance. Low ground clearance helps range so they're all pretty limited. I get you new. You have to be pretty daft to buy a Solterra for 45-50k considering it's a pretty bad EV... but 28-30k used versus maybe 25-28k for similar age/mileage Forester, that could be worth looking at.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 796,359 times
Quote:
On the 2024 Tesla Model 3 and Model Y the long range version adds almost $9,000 for dual motor and all wheel drive.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:13 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Specs are trickling out on the 2024 Chevy Silverado EV pickup...
  • RST First Edition - $96k, 400mi range, AWD, 754HP, 785ft-lb, 800V/350KW charging, 1,300lb payload
  • 4WT - $80k, 450mi range, AWD, 515HP, 600ft-lb, 800V/350KW charging, 1,400lb payload
  • 3WT -$75k, 393mi range, AWD, 510HP, 600ft-lb, 800V/350KW charging, 1,750lb payload

Note that the range of these 3 Silverado trims are all higher than the Ford Lightning (320mi) or Tesla Cybertruck (340mi) can manage. That's a feather in GM's cap.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/03...-tow-capacity/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-14-2024 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles