Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 08:50 PM

39,901 posts, read 26,597,293 times

Advertisements

For at least 2 years, GM has made a big deal about the Equinox EV, claiming the compact crossover would have a starting price of under $30,000. https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/202...-at-30000.html

Instead, the stripper, most basic model is actually over $43k. It tops out over $50k with the AWD model. I can't imagine anyone would buy this when you can get a model Y for less money.

https://www.chevrolet.com/shopping/c...&zipCode=37821
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 09:38 PM

21,928 posts, read 25,275,029 times
It's what they all do with the EVs.

The 40k Cybertruck and F-150 and Silverado EVs. The 65,000 Rivian which is almost 90k with a manual tonneau cover rather than power. The basic Model Y 2WD is 45k which isn't much less money. Basically the same. Both around 320 miles but Tesla puts the thumb on the scale pretty heavily so the Chevy probably gets better range. If Chevy ever gets access to the Superchargers, I don't know why you wouldn't look at the Equinox. Test drive both, get the one you like better.

Either way it's the normal 15k EV tax. A gas Equinox (LT) is 31k, so not quite 15k EV tax but 12-14k. With the gas Equinox though it's the terrible 1.5T. Cheaper, no range issues... terrible 1.5T.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:17 AM

12,607 posts, read 9,735,810 times
P.S. I had written some comments earlier because I thought I understood things well enough, but the more I looked back at what had been said when, and where, the more confusing the Equinox EV pricing story seemed to get... the only thing that's clear is that at this time - the morning of May 10, 2024, the cheapest option that's available on the vehicle configurator is the 2LT/FWD trim, coming in at a starting price of $43,295 - including destination charges.

Whatever the thoughts were at Chevy earlier, this isn't turning out to be much of an advance on making EVs more affordable. It does have pretty decent range at that price - in the FWD configuration, range is estimated at 319mi. In 2LT/AWD configuration, it lists for $46,595 this morning, and range is estimated at 285mi.

None of this is bad, but they're not breaking a lot of new ground here. Value seems incrementally better than earlier cars, when it comes to basic parameters

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-10-2024 at 02:53 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 03:30 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,351,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
For at least 2 years, GM has made a big deal about the Equinox EV, claiming the compact crossover would have a starting price of under $30,000. https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/202...-at-30000.html

Instead, the stripper, most basic model is actually over $43k. It tops out over $50k with the AWD model. I can't imagine anyone would buy this when you can get a model Y for less money.

https://www.chevrolet.com/shopping/c...&zipCode=37821

The Equinox EV was intended to take over the bottom end of the GM EV market, starting at $30k, right in the middle of the outgoing Bolt's p[rice range. BUT, since GM decided that the BoltEUV was selling so well and got so many complaints about them killing it, that they are bringing the Bolt BACK middle of next year to take over the $25-35k price points, leaving the Equinox to drop the basest version that was going to be in that price range.

As for the price your looking at, they are doing the top models first. That's a 2LT starting at $43k, The 1LT, starting at $35k is, as the Chevrolet website you linked to says, coming out later this year. So the one you are looking at is NOT the stripper, most basic model. Then subtract $7500 from that.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/equinox-ev

"Preproduction models shown throughout. Actual production models may vary. Most Equinox EV trims available mid-2024. Equinox EV 1LT available later in 2024."

Old 05-10-2024, 09:03 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
And the price on Chevrolets website excludes any incentives. Besides the EV tax credit, there are other incentives equaling over $5,000 to eligible buyers. true most are way to specific and narrow but if qualified, it's yours.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:55 AM

1,507 posts, read 811,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And the price on Chevrolets website excludes any incentives. Besides the EV tax credit, there are other incentives equaling over $5,000 to eligible buyers. true most are way to specific and narrow but if qualified, it's yours.
What other incentives?

Old 05-10-2024, 06:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 6,476,870 times
Americam manufactors seem to only be interested in expensive Ev's. Pretty soon it's going to be like when the japanese began importing low cost small cars and American manufacturers are left behind.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:15 AM

6,749 posts, read 4,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Americam manufactors seem to only be interested in expensive Ev's. Pretty soon it's going to be like when the japanese began importing low cost small cars and American manufacturers are left behind.

They're pushing the way overpriced EV's that HELLO! The average consumer cant afford or has the credit to get. And on the ICE side of things, the next big mistake. 1.5 L turbo engines on vehicles that should have a health V6 or a V8. There's even a 1.2 L engine on some vehicles. Just because you can get the extra needed HP with turbo / turbos. You're over stressing the internals of these small engines pushing these heavier vehicles. What could possibly go wrong.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:41 AM

2,489 posts, read 1,572,699 times
With the federal tax credit, and the state rebates, they become far more affordable. Depends what state you are in, but I believe NJ, e.g., also nixes the sales tax. Here in NY I got 2k in the state rebate. So, for me. My car (Tesla Model 3) was 9.5k less than sticker.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:16 AM

5,207 posts, read 3,136,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
P.S. I had written some comments earlier because I thought I understood things well enough, but the more I looked back at what had been said when, and where, the more confusing the Equinox EV pricing story seemed to get... the only thing that's clear is that at this time - the morning of May 10, 2024, the cheapest option that's available on the vehicle configurator is the 2LT/FWD trim, coming in at a starting price of $43,295 - including destination charges.

Whatever the thoughts were at Chevy earlier, this isn't turning out to be much of an advance on making EVs more affordable. It does have pretty decent range at that price - in the FWD configuration, range is estimated at 319mi. In 2LT/AWD configuration, it lists for $46,595 this morning, and range is estimated at 285mi.

None of this is bad, but they're not breaking a lot of new ground here. Value seems incrementally better than earlier cars, when it comes to basic parameters
GM loses money on every EV it sells. They could list the base Equinox for $30K, and lose even more money per vehicle. This is the main issue with the big three automakers, how do they sell any volume of BEVs when every sale is unprofitable, and it results in a lost sale of a ICE car that is profitable? Double whammy and no easy business solution for it. They are fooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles