Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2024, 01:02 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times

Advertisements

https://theevreport.com/evgo-acceler...yment-for-2024

I think this is the first of the major, non-Tesla fast charging providers to deploy J3400. They're unlikely to be the last as I don't think the industry in North America is going to reverse from moving to J3400. I did think there was a good chance of it being stalled, but EVGo announcing they'll start doing it this year is a good sign given that the vehicles themselves haven't yet switched over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 02:08 PM

12,670 posts, read 9,844,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
https://theevreport.com/evgo-acceler...yment-for-2024

I think this is the first of the major, non-Tesla fast charging providers to deploy J3400. They're unlikely to be the last as I don't think the industry in North America is going to reverse from moving to J3400. I did think there was a good chance of it being stalled, but EVGo announcing they'll start doing it this year is a good sign given that the vehicles themselves haven't yet switched over.
Thanks for sharing! Agreed that EVGo indicating they are pushing forward with support should help to motivate anyone who may have been questioning the necessity of the whole NACS/J3400 standard.

Also, I was kind of shocked, in a good way, by this line "Advanced Technology: Nearly 40% of EVgo’s stalls now feature 350kW chargers with liquid-cooled cable technology." - that's great progress.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:36 AM

19,109 posts, read 14,102,480 times
I doubt I’ll try third-party chargers often, but it’s nice to know they’re going to be popping up.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-16-2024, 08:52 AM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I doubt I’ll try third-party chargers often, but it’s nice to know they’re going to be popping up.

Yea, and it'll relieve pressure from Tesla superchargers being used by non-Tesla vehicles once they're moved to NACS, so I think this is all in all a very good thing.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:47 AM

12,670 posts, read 9,844,551 times
Here is a nice resource for those who may want to understand charger availability in a given area, but who don't currently have an EV and so don't have these specialized GIS apps.

This is from driveelectric.gov, and it's similar in many ways to PlugShare, but it doesn't have this long running rendering bug that PlugShare does - where certain locations don't render at certain zoom levels, so I am grateful for that.
https://driveelectric.gov/stations

You can filter by DC fast charging to focus on those sites. There is clearly still low coverage in many rural states, and many more chargers will be needed to support the lofty high goals of EV ownership that proponents want to achieve - so lots more to do yet. But that said, I can see that there has been clear progress in the northern New England states - ME, NH and VT over the past few years.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,804,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yeah I haven't used a public charger since I drove my car 3 hours home from the dealer back in February.

Old Today, 12:45 PM

19,109 posts, read 14,102,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I haven't used a public charger since I drove my car 3 hours home from the dealer back in February.
I use them because I take a decent amount of road trips (just did this past weekend) but in my daily routine they’re nearly never needed. I have had to stop for charging twice in almost 3 years in a non-roadtrip scenario.

But I’ve only ever used Superchargers.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles