Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,799 times

Advertisements

[quote=kelsius;22523799]Do you think the 2000s and the part of the '10s that has past are culturally distinct from the 1990s? Personally I think we're still in the nineties in a cultural sense and here is why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Examples. Baggy pants. Skinny jeans have replaced them to some extent, but there's still plenty of people who sag like it's still 1992, people who weren't even alive in 1992.
I dont think sagging was really in until the mid 90's. People were just recovering from parachute pants in 1992. Which speaking of, baggy pants are distinctively different from sagging. I would agree sagging has carried over.

Quote:
Reruns of Seinfeld and Friends beat most currently running sitcoms in ratings. People's taste in television in the years 2000-2012 is basically identical to what people enjoyed in the '90s.
The same kind of shows have been being produced since television began, save for the obvious lack of westerns that became popular in the 50's and 60's. Problem is, they did those shows better back then, and people today can appreciate that. Shows like All in the Family, Threes Company and Good Times are enjoying tremendous success as well, does that mean the 60's and 70's never ended?

Additionally, shows from past generations are so easily accessible now. Its much easier for someone to watch an episode of Friends today, then it was for a person to watch All in the Family in the 80's or early 90's. Seasons werent really produced, and even if they were, you had to get them on video cassette, and there was no Netflix.

Finally, you are picking absolutely iconic shows that lasted for 10 seasons or more. Those will be popular long in to the future. People 10 years from now will be watching Law and Order: SVU and 30 Rock. However, the 90's are littered with throw away shows that lasted a few seasons or less and were done. Nickelodeon alone churned out about 600 of these, and nobody at all cares about them.

Quote:

Rap music has proven not to be a trend but a decades-long, multi-generational phenomenon that might enjoy extremely high levels of popularity well into this century.
Rap music of the 90's, especially early to mid 90's is distinctively different from todays rap music. Its like comparing the rock of the 50's to the rock of the 60's.

By the way, the basic form of "rap" has been in existance for thousands of years, the only difference is that has just begun being packaged and sold. in the past 30 years.

Quote:
Same with tattoos and body piercings - not going away anytime soon most likely, if anything eventually it will probably become rare for a person not to have at least one kind of body mod. Even my 52 year old dad has been converted to the cult of the tattoo.
Tattoos just started becoming overwhelming in the 2000's. All you need to do is follow Allen Iverson. He went from one tattoo on his bicep in 1997, to being a tattoed mess by the mid 2000's. Or look at rappers, Tupac was probably the most tattooed rapper of the 90s (largely because he used them to cover gunshot wounds), and his tattoos largely were not visible, and were outright tasteful when compared to people like Lil' Wayne or Wiz Khalifa, who have tattoos on their face and necks. Things like neck tattoos and extreme body art were still taboo throughout the 90's.

Quote:

And even though the '90s are now 20 years ago, well, the early 90s, the focus on nostalgia is still rightly the '80s because it's the most recent time that had a culture that does not extend into the present moment.
The focus of nostalgia in the 90's was the 70's, so what?

Now that we are in the 2010's, you are starting to see 12 year old kids pick up Wu-Tangs 36 Chambers, like its some amazing hidden secret that only they know about.

People usually nostaligize about time periods of their early childhood, or periods they never lived through, and the people most responsible for nostalgia are roughly about age 25-40, so its not suprising that primary nostalgia is centered around about 2 decades previous. In addition, that is old enough to make things "retro" which has a built in "cool" factor with younger generations.

Quote:
That's not to say the 1990s were exactly like today. They were actually quite different. But that's really just because the nineties still had so much stuff from the eighties that was still popular and relevant. I'm just saying the trends that started in the nineties are for the most part, still going strong. There's never been a backlash against '90s culture - we went straight from loving the 90s while it was still the present to being nostalgic about the 90s.
There are literally lists full of things that expired in the 1990's that you can find anywhere on the internet.

For instance, who frosts their hair anymore? Wears Starter or FILA gear? Corduroys? Goth culture and dressing like Marilyn Manson circa 1995? Grunge? Metallic clothing? Timberland Boots? Uses pagers? The list goes on and on. Many fundamental things about the 90's simply dont exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
. Nothing in popular culture, fashion or music has changed science 1998. Computers/mobile phones have gotten faster and more powerful but thats about it.

- I can give you one guess what would happen to a kid rocking skinny jeans in 1998.

- It might be close to what happens to someone spiking or frosting their hair in 2012.

- autotune existed in 1998, but was almost never used, and wasnt remotely perfected or accepted as a piece of musical equipment, even bad rappers and singers had to at least have limited vocal talent, even if they couldnt write lyrics. Auto tune is infested well within the pop and "hip hop" communities now.

- Goth has completely left the mainstream

- "EMO" did not exist in 1998

- Speaking of emo, in 1999, when I graduated, there were maybe 5 guys in my school with long hair. Class of 2012, there will probably be more guys with long hair then girls.

- Nobody cared about electronic or DJ produced music whatsoever, and Moby was probably the only one that was commerically popular at all unless you count the limited exposure Prodigy had for a short time. Now, at any given time, people like DeadMau5e and Skrillex are infested on the billboard chart.

- Skateboarding, in general, nobody cared about through the complete 90's, and you wouldnt catch an African American caught dead on a skateboard. In 2012, the complete opposite is true for both. This is mostly because of

- Pharell Williams. I blame this guy for crossing "prepware" and the skateboard culture over to "hip hop". This happened in around 2003 or so, and STILL is popular to this day. Now you can see guys like Lil' Wayne almost equally as likely to wear skinny jeans as baggy clothes.

- Boy shorts on women? That is a complete and total attrocity of the 2000's.

- The tattoos are ridiculous. Never in my life have I seen so many tattoos in visible places, especially neck and face tattoos. This is completely a creation of the 2000's.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM

207 posts, read 507,480 times
Quote:
Do you think the 2000s and the part of the '10s that has past are culturally distinct from the 1990s? Personally I think we're still in the nineties in a cultural sense and here is why.

I was thinking how the major tropes of the nineties, the things that made the nineties different from the eighties, for the most part are still going strong, and in some cases are actually even bigger today, 12 years after the end of the nineties, than they were in the nineties themselves!

Examples. Baggy pants. Skinny jeans have replaced them to some extent, but there's still plenty of people who sag like it's still 1992, people who weren't even alive in 1992.

The Simpsons. First aired in December 1989 actually. A 90s icon. Still on the air today, and despite the fact many people stopped watching it around 2000, it's still relevant to today's society and extremely popular.

Ditto with South Park, which started in 1997. There are 14 year old kids today who were only just born when South Park came out and love it. The show is still extremely popular, probably only slightly less popular than it was in 1998.

Reruns of Seinfeld and Friends beat most currently running sitcoms in ratings. People's taste in television in the years 2000-2012 is basically identical to what people enjoyed in the '90s.

Rap music has proven not to be a trend but a decades-long, multi-generational phenomenon that might enjoy extremely high levels of popularity well into this century. Same with tattoos and body piercings - not going away anytime soon most likely, if anything eventually it will probably become rare for a person not to have at least one kind of body mod. Even my 52 year old dad has been converted to the cult of the tattoo.

The decline of so-called 'polite society' also I think really accelerated in the early 90s and continues to this day. Before the '90s, only certain kinds of people used profanity, today, pretty much everyone does. Formal dress is only for valet and politicians. I think that in the '90s people became generally more sarcastic and aggressive too, as well as more depressed, and that has gotten even worse in the past 12 years.

And even though the '90s are now 20 years ago, well, the early 90s, the focus on nostalgia is still rightly the '80s because it's the most recent time that had a culture that does not extend into the present moment.

I think since 2008, something authentically new has been forming, but it's still overshadowed by the continuing tropes of the 1990s.

That's not to say the 1990s were exactly like today. They were actually quite different. But that's really just because the nineties still had so much stuff from the eighties that was still popular and relevant. I'm just saying the trends that started in the nineties are for the most part, still going strong. There's never been a backlash against '90s culture - we went straight from loving the 90s while it was still the present to being nostalgic about the 90s.

I thought I was the only person who thought this....this post is on point!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 AM

196 posts, read 659,498 times
[quote=Randomdude;23916466]
Quote:
Do you think the 2000s and the part of the '10s that has past are culturally distinct from the 1990s? Personally I think we're still in the nineties in a cultural sense and here is why.

I dont think sagging was really in until the mid 90's. People were just recovering from parachute pants in 1992. Which speaking of, baggy pants are distinctively different from sagging. I would agree sagging has carried over.

The same kind of shows have been being produced since television began, save for the obvious lack of westerns that became popular in the 50's and 60's. Problem is, they did those shows better back then, and people today can appreciate that. Shows like All in the Family, Threes Company and Good Times are enjoying tremendous success as well, does that mean the 60's and 70's never ended?

Additionally, shows from past generations are so easily accessible now. Its much easier for someone to watch an episode of Friends today, then it was for a person to watch All in the Family in the 80's or early 90's. Seasons werent really produced, and even if they were, you had to get them on video cassette, and there was no Netflix.

Finally, you are picking absolutely iconic shows that lasted for 10 seasons or more. Those will be popular long in to the future. People 10 years from now will be watching Law and Order: SVU and 30 Rock. However, the 90's are littered with throw away shows that lasted a few seasons or less and were done. Nickelodeon alone churned out about 600 of these, and nobody at all cares about them.

Rap music of the 90's, especially early to mid 90's is distinctively different from todays rap music. Its like comparing the rock of the 50's to the rock of the 60's.

By the way, the basic form of "rap" has been in existance for thousands of years, the only difference is that has just begun being packaged and sold. in the past 30 years.

Tattoos just started becoming overwhelming in the 2000's. All you need to do is follow Allen Iverson. He went from one tattoo on his bicep in 1997, to being a tattoed mess by the mid 2000's. Or look at rappers, Tupac was probably the most tattooed rapper of the 90s (largely because he used them to cover gunshot wounds), and his tattoos largely were not visible, and were outright tasteful when compared to people like Lil' Wayne or Wiz Khalifa, who have tattoos on their face and necks. Things like neck tattoos and extreme body art were still taboo throughout the 90's.

The focus of nostalgia in the 90's was the 70's, so what?

Now that we are in the 2010's, you are starting to see 12 year old kids pick up Wu-Tangs 36 Chambers, like its some amazing hidden secret that only they know about.

People usually nostaligize about time periods of their early childhood, or periods they never lived through, and the people most responsible for nostalgia are roughly about age 25-40, so its not suprising that primary nostalgia is centered around about 2 decades previous. In addition, that is old enough to make things "retro" which has a built in "cool" factor with younger generations.

There are literally lists full of things that expired in the 1990's that you can find anywhere on the internet.

For instance, who frosts their hair anymore? Wears Starter or FILA gear? Corduroys? Goth culture and dressing like Marilyn Manson circa 1995? Grunge? Metallic clothing? Timberland Boots? Uses pagers? The list goes on and on. Many fundamental things about the 90's simply dont exist anymore.
1. Sagging are most definitely 1992. Just look at Kris Kross.

2. The '60s and '70s are still very much influential in todays culture. The difference is that in 1979, people didn't dress anything like the did in 1969, whereas people in 1999 didn't dress all that different than people in 2009. Also, nobody said ONLY the '90s was influencing our culture, I think what is being said is that the '90s is the last time we actually progressed from a cultural(not technological) stand point.

3. Nickelodeon is watched by kids, OF COURSE their television is disposable. However, I will say that "The Simpsons", "Family Guy" "South Park" are still going pretty strong.

4. No, comparing rap from today to the rap from the '90s is NOT like comparing rock & roll from the '50s to rock & roll from the '60s.

First off, rappers from the '90s were BETTER. Nobody's comparing any rapper who's come along in this century to Biggie Smalls, 2pac, Rakim, Ice Cube, etc. . . . The only rappers who are considered the biggest are guys like Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg etc. . . who are all from the '90s. The rappers from this last decade (other than Kanye West) are pretty much small potatoes compared to the much better '90s rappers. So that shows no progression at all, like we're saying.

Jimmy Hendrix and The Beatles were miles more advanced than the '50s rockers like Chuck Berry and Elvis in terms of skill.

5. Tattoos didn't become overwhelming in the 2000s, they were getting there in the '90s. Lollapalooza is the thing that mainstreamed tattoos during the grunge era, and ever hear of a guy named Dennis Rodman? Yeah, he covered himself in tats in '93, Allen Iverson was covered in tats by 1999. Look at this picture from the 1999-2000 season. You can see he already had quite a few tattoos.

6. We're not talking about "nostalgia". We're talking about progression. You can't have nostalgia in this culture, because it never ended. The reason the '90s had '70s nostalgia, was because the '80s was nothing like the '70s. The way people dressed, talked, acted, the music that was popular, etc . . . was nothing like the '70s, so by the '90s people who grew up during the '70s were clamoring for the stuff they grew up on.

Now, we've just never really left the '90s. And kids are listening to Wu-Tang Clan because today's rappers are just terrible and like I said earlier, most of the ones who aren't are hold overs from the '90s. The reason kids idolize Kurt Cobain today is because nobody took his place in rock music. That's quite different than nostalgia. This is just stagnation.

http://www.alleniversonlive.com/wp-c...phy/990001.jpg

And no, 2pac did not get his tats to cover his gunshot wounds, he had his infamous "Thug Life" and "50 N*ggaz" tattoos long before he ever got shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
- I can give you one guess what would happen to a kid rocking skinny jeans in 1998.

- It might be close to what happens to someone spiking or frosting their hair in 2012.

- autotune existed in 1998, but was almost never used, and wasnt remotely perfected or accepted as a piece of musical equipment, even bad rappers and singers had to at least have limited vocal talent, even if they couldnt write lyrics. Auto tune is infested well within the pop and "hip hop" communities now.

- Goth has completely left the mainstream

- "EMO" did not exist in 1998

- Speaking of emo, in 1999, when I graduated, there were maybe 5 guys in my school with long hair. Class of 2012, there will probably be more guys with long hair then girls.

- Nobody cared about electronic or DJ produced music whatsoever, and Moby was probably the only one that was commerically popular at all unless you count the limited exposure Prodigy had for a short time. Now, at any given time, people like DeadMau5e and Skrillex are infested on the billboard chart.

- Skateboarding, in general, nobody cared about through the complete 90's, and you wouldnt catch an African American caught dead on a skateboard. In 2012, the complete opposite is true for both. This is mostly because of

- Pharell Williams. I blame this guy for crossing "prepware" and the skateboard culture over to "hip hop". This happened in around 2003 or so, and STILL is popular to this day. Now you can see guys like Lil' Wayne almost equally as likely to wear skinny jeans as baggy clothes.

- Boy shorts on women? That is a complete and total attrocity of the 2000's.

- The tattoos are ridiculous. Never in my life have I seen so many tattoos in visible places, especially neck and face tattoos. This is completely a creation of the 2000's.

1. The talkbox/autotune has been around since the '70s. Look at Peter Frampton, Zapp with Roger Troutman, and a lot of bands. It was actually Cher with her 1999 hit "Believe" that brought that sound back.

2. Is goth any less in the mainstream than it has ever been? I mean, it's not like goths were ever selling Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul records anyway even The Cure weren't selling like Guns N Roses. It has been beat back a little, I will say.

3. "Emo" didn't exist? Really? You never heard of Sunny Day Real Estate? Jimmy Eat World?

4. Guy, long hair? The thing that every rocker in the history of rock had? I mean have you heard of Kurt Cobain? Axl Rose? Sebastian Bach? Eddie Vedder. Guys have been having long hair since the '60s.

5. Nobody cared about electronic music? Are you serious? The early '90s were dominated by Black Box, C&C Music Factory, Technotronic, etc . . .MTV had a show called "Club MTV" in the early '90s devoted to electronic dance music. Then in about '96/'97 they went deeeeeep into The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Moby, Sneaker Pimps, Aphex Twin, The Orb, etc. . . even rock bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, and Marilyn Manson went in an electronic direction for a while there.

6. Tony Hawk because extremely famous in the mid the late '90s, but I will agree that skateboarding has gotten more popular over the years.

7. Yeah, you have a few dudes that wear skinny jeans sometimes, but baggy jeans are still the dominant fashion in Hip-Hop and has been since Kriss Kross in '92.

8. And boyshorts are from the late '90s. That's why Britney was wearing them on Rolling Stone back then.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bm07hpGmD-...1600/brit1.jpg

Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
1. The talkbox/autotune has been around since the '70s. Look at Peter Frampton, Zapp with Roger Troutman, and a lot of bands. It was actually Cher with her 1999 hit "Believe" that brought that sound back.
The talkbox, while serving the same purpose as autotune, still required that the person who used it had some sense of talent, since you had to play some type of instrument with it.

Autotune does not.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM

196 posts, read 659,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The talkbox, while serving the same purpose as autotune, still required that the person who used it had some sense of talent, since you had to play some type of instrument with it.

Autotune does not.
But it's the vocal effect that we're talking about here, not the talent that it takes to do it.

You aint gotta convince me that pop stars were more talented in the past musically

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
But it's the vocal effect that we're talking about here, not the talent that it takes to do it.

You aint gotta convince me that pop stars were more talented in the past musically
Fair enough.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

No, actually we are talking about the talent it takes to do it. I could care less about the distortion effect of auto-tune. Im talking about flat out talentless hacks being autotuned in to record deals.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
1. Sagging are most definitely 1992. Just look at Kris Kross.
Kris Kross was not really sagging, they were more known for tremendously oversized clothes, which is distinctly different then sagging. Even that said, Kris Kross was a gimmick, and that wasnt even hip hop culture at that point.

Check out Tribe Called Quest, Dr. Dre, Redman.....they all basically dressed like Kid N' Play

Quote:
2. The '60s and '70s are still very much influential in todays culture. The difference is that in 1979, people didn't dress anything like the did in 1969, whereas people in 1999 didn't dress all that different than people in 2009.
Yes they do dress tremendously different then they did in 1999, you just dont notice it. I have a number of cousins in the range of 14-18, and nobody in my high school would be caught dead in what they are wearing, nor doing the things they are doing, such as every other kid with guages and face jewelry.

Quote:
3. Nickelodeon is watched by kids, OF COURSE their television is disposable. However, I will say that "The Simpsons", "Family Guy" "South Park" are still going pretty strong.
Stop using an example and projecting it as an argument. Every single network made 100's of throw away shows, you just dont remember them.

Quote:
4. No, comparing rap from today to the rap from the '90s is NOT like comparing rock & roll from the '50s to rock & roll from the '60s.
Yeah, it actually is. The only people who think its all the same are people who have no ear for it.

Quote:
First off, rappers from the '90s were BETTER. Nobody's comparing any rapper who's come along in this century to Biggie Smalls, 2pac, Rakim, Ice Cube, etc. . . . The only rappers who are considered the biggest are guys like Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg etc. . . who are all from the '90s. The rappers from this last decade (other than Kanye West) are pretty much small potatoes compared to the much better '90s rappers. So that shows no progression at all, like we're saying.
Who is arguing about "progression"? It does not take "progression" for distinction. It just takes difference.

Quote:
Jimmy Hendrix and The Beatles were miles more advanced than the '50s rockers like Chuck Berry and Elvis in terms of skill.
Jimmy Hendrix was miles more advanced then just about everyone after him, oh well, I guess the clear conclusion is that the 60's never ended........

Quote:
5. Tattoos didn't become overwhelming in the 2000s, they were getting there in the '90s. Lollapalooza is the thing that mainstreamed tattoos during the grunge era, and ever hear of a guy named Dennis Rodman?
Dennis Rodman was an absolute freak, period. What he did was not remotely mainstream.

Quote:
6. We're not talking about "nostalgia". We're talking about progression. You can't have nostalgia in this culture, because it never ended. The reason the '90s had '70s nostalgia, was because the '80s was nothing like the '70s.
The 2000's was nothing like the 90's.

Quote:
The way people dressed, talked, acted, the music that was popular, etc . . . was nothing like the '70s
The way people, dressed, talked, acted, the music that was popular, etc,....was nothing like the 90's.

Quote:
Now, we've just never really left the '90s. And kids are listening to Wu-Tang Clan because today's rappers are just terrible
No, theyre listening to the Wu-Tang Clan like people in the 90's grabbed on to Bob Marley and The Grateful Dead. It has nothing to do with their opinion of current music, because most kids actually like the garbage that is on now.

Quote:
and like I said earlier, most of the ones who aren't are hold overs from the '90s. The reason kids idolize Kurt Cobain today is because nobody took his place in rock music. That's quite different than nostalgia. This is just stagnation.
No, thats not what it is at all.

Quote:
Autotune and talkbox are not the same thing. Talkbox was used as a gimmicky effect for musicians who already had talent. Cher used the early autotune for the same purpose.

Today, autotune is used to completely transform people who cant sing, such as T-Pain, in to "singers".

Quote:
2. Is goth any less in the mainstream than it has ever been? I mean, it's not like goths were ever selling Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul records anyway even The Cure weren't selling like Guns N Roses. It has been beat back a little, I will say.
Im not talking about record sales, Im talking about Goth culture. In the late 1990's, it was common place to see large groups of "goths" almost any place you go. I havent seen a single one in almost a decade, and nothing but skateboarders and emos shop at places like Hot Topic.

Quote:
3. "Emo" didn't exist? Really? You never heard of Sunny Day Real Estate? Jimmy Eat World?
Again, Im not refering to a couple records, Im refering to the culture as a whole.

Quote:
4. Guy, long hair? The thing that every rocker in the history of rock had? I mean have you heard of Kurt Cobain? Axl Rose? Sebastian Bach? Eddie Vedder. Guys have been having long hair since the '60s.
1. We arent talking about the 1960's, we are talking about the 1990's
2. We arent talking about "rockers" we are talking about EVERY guy.

Again, in my class of 1999, about 5 guys had long hair, and Im pretty sure all were in bands. Now, well over 50% of guys in the age range have long hair.

[quote=Lake County IN;23943144]
5. Nobody cared about electronic music? Are you serious? The early '90s were dominated by Black Box, C&C Music Factory, Technotronic, etc . . .MTV had a show called "Club MTV" in the early '90s devoted to electronic dance music. Then in about '96/'97 they went deeeeeep into The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Moby, Sneaker Pimps, Aphex Twin, The Orb, etc. . . even rock bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, and Marilyn Manson went in an electronic direction for a while there.
[/quote

What was the highest Black Box, Sneaker Pimps, Aphex Twins and The Orb made it up the charts?

Looks like Black Box made it to 56 in 1990.......thats the highest any of them made it.

C&C Music Factory and Technotronic didnt "dominate the early 90's", they dominated 1989-1991, a tiny brief period of time that the dance/rap experiment happened and failed.

Quote:
6. Tony Hawk because extremely famous in the mid the late '90s, but I will agree that skateboarding has gotten more popular over the years.
Tony Hawk was not famous any further then hard core skate fanatics pitching Birdhouse crap until 1999, when his name was stapled to a game.

Quote:
7. Yeah, you have a few dudes that wear skinny jeans sometimes, but baggy jeans are still the dominant fashion in Hip-Hop and has been since Kriss Kross in '92.
1. Skinny Jeans "sometimes"? Are you kidding me?
2. Todays hip hop wear is NOTHING like Kriss Kross. Even the "baggy" clothes are not nearly as baggy, they are half way down their legs, and the iconic Cross Culture type colorful designs that were popular then are far gone. Other things that became popular at one point in hip hop, vests, Starter athletic gear, Goosedown, Timberland Boots, red Yankees Hats, baseball jerseys, heavy denim including jackets........its all gone.

Its been replaced with skinny jeans, khakis, polos, guage earings, and more of a "skateboard" culture.

Quote:
8. And boyshorts are from the late '90s. That's why Britney was wearing them on Rolling Stone back then.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bm07hpGmD-...1600/brit1.jpg

Didnt catch on until the 2000's.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times
An interesting video I found:

Mall of America Opening Weekend 1992 - YouTube

It shows how "normal folk" dressed and styled their hair in 1992 - which is completely different from today. Notice the pastel colors, the loose fit of their clothes, the dorky ball caps, the tucked-in T-shirts.

Fast forward 9 years later to my 2001-2002 high school yearbook. Although there were some short-lived fads evident, much of what people were wearing and their haircuts would not be out-of-place ten years later...unlike the people in the video, some of whom would look bizarre if they were magically transported to 2012. Of course, many styles today probably would not fly in 2001...but 80%-90% of the students then would not look out of place if they were wearing the same clothes (assuming they fit) and had the same haircuts today.

When did it change? From all that I've seen, 1999 - 2000. In 1998, ridiculously baggy pants (JNCO, etc.) and windbreakers were in for both boys and girls, though nobody over the age of 25 wore that. Many of the older adults were probably still wearing the pastel-colored shirts that they bought five years ago.

Last edited by tvdxer; 04-27-2012 at 02:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts