Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,973 times

Advertisements

what would a world war do to the direction styles take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoBoySwag496 View Post
rstevens62: "At least the hipster trend will not last too long"

It ain't going nowhere anytime soon, and that last part makes absolutely no sense, considering mainstream fashion hasn't really changed much since 2012/2013...

You see, typically, the overall culture of a previous decade doesn't fizzle out and lose its luster until 2 - 3 years into the new one.

Bell bottoms and Disco music stopped trending in 1983 to tighter, brighter clothes and the Punk/Hair-Metal style...

The Punk/Hair Metal style stopped trending in 1993 to short hair, baggy clothes and dark colors when Hip Hop and the glamorization of thug/prison culture reached its peak...

Then the OG Grunge-look, (I heard it died in '98) 90's fades and bowlcuts went out of style in 2002/2003 to neat Caesar cuts and emo hair...

2013: Skinny jeans and hipster fashion is officially mainstream and 00's culture is out...

So judging from these patterns, we won't see fashion really change until 2023-ish. 2010's culture as a whole should start to fizzle out by then.

The only slight changes I've noticed since 2017 is emo-ish DanTDM/Hitler-hair, a surgence in man-buns, a surgence in black Nike Free Runs with knockoffs from other brands, (part of the athleisure/normcore hipster trend) a surgence in striped shirts, less ugly hipster-nerd fashion and way less douchey pompadours & Kardashian ombre hair...
Definitely you have a point about the first two or three years of a decade being mostly like the previous
decade....

Like the early 60s ....1960...1961...1962...maybe 1963 ...being 1950s like ...
then by 1964 the stereotypical “1960’s” really began (Beatlemania and the British Invasion helped).

Same with the early 1970s ....very late 60s like...first couple of years 1970...1971
were still very late 1960s like...more 60s than some actual 1960s years

Also, as you mentioned the early 1980s still a bit 1970s like ...though I think the 1980s
vibe started by about 1982 ...so maybe slighty earlier than other decades.

1990 was pretty much 1980s but late 1991 Grunge hit big and 1992 was the first “real” 90s year.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
I actually noticed that to, how movies nowadays seem to look and feel exactly how they did in the prior decade, without their own distinct feel, like movie decades from the 20th century.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoBoySwag496 View Post
^ Hipsters have ruined beards, but I like to think of long beards as the modern-day mullet...

The slogan for the mullet was "Business on top, party in the back"... So the slogan for long hipster-beards should be "Business on the scalp, party on the face." lol

So whenever a trend dies, (like the mullet) it just comes back in a different form with the next generation.

Here's a fun, interesting project: Take a look at the first hipster you see, and imagine how differently that person would appear in 1999 based on everything that was trending at the time...

This is what I like to call 90's vision.
OMG. I agree. I call them Smith brothers beards and I think they look AWFUL on everyone. I have seen what are obviously good looking men with the shaved heads and those beards and they look awful. I don't know how women can ...ahem...mate with them. It should be stopped.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 8,672 times
It's interesting to read this thread in 2019 looking back and seeing a very evident difference between the 00's and the 10's:

Rock influences were still strong in the 00's - Pop punk (Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Paramore, Sum 41, Yellowcard), pop rock (Coldplay, Keane, The Fray, Maroon 5), emo (Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional, Senses Fail, Simple Plan, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence), and miscellaneous alternative rock (The White Stripes, The Killers, Muse, Kings of Leon, Linkin Park), and a so-called "indie rock" sound. Disclaimer: The distinctions between various genres and the bands I listed as examples can be very subjective, especially the borders between pop rock, pop punk, and emo. Hot Topic was a big thing.

In the 2010s, rock has been pushed pushed to actual indie territory, and indie rock has become a lot more experimental. Bands that survived, like Coldplay, changed their sound a lot.

Hip-hop progressed from messages of social consciousness in the 90's back to "party" music as it became more mainstream in the 00's.

In the 10's, the transition of hip-hop to the mainstream and its blending together with "vocal" pop music. It's much more common to see non-black artists making hip-hop or influenced by hip-hop than it was in the 00's. It's also much more common to see collaborations between hip-hop artists and artists of other other genres. In mainstream culture, hip-hop has become less of a distinctive genre as it was before the 10's and more of an "aspect" of mainstream pop.

There are also passing movements in hip-hop - The "crunk" sound of Lil Jon and Ciara is very 00's, while dubstep is very 10's.

There's also the increasing prominence of autotune. In the 10's, there's a distinctly "autotune" sound you hear not only in mainstream popular music but also in TV and movies. I imagine this will sound very dated in future decades.

Culturally, "hipster" has gone from a distinctive subculture in the 00's, and an overwhelmingly white subculture at that, to blending into mainstream culture in the 10's. There's increasing diversity in Western countries, especially in the middle class. As the Asian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, and African populations grow, we've seen the rise of new distinctive identities as well as the simultaneous integration of racial minorities to traditionally "white" spheres.

There's the rise of social justice issues concerning lingering questions of racial and gender equality, and the backlash against "social justice warriors". "Microaggressions" and "preferred pronouns" are mainstream concepts. Homosexuality went from contentious in the mainstream sphere and riddled with stereotypes in media and entertainment to more-or-less normal in the 10's with the legalization of same-sex marriage. Not only has "Me Too" become a defining movement, but the notion of gay sexual predators as a legitimate issue rather than just conservative scare-mongering shows just how normal and mundane homosexuality has become in the mainstream eye. Transgender issues and gender identity have become mainstream.

There's also the backlash. There's the conservative populism that brought Trump into power. There's the "incel" movement, which is a very distinctively 10's thing.

Asia has become much more important. China has arisen to challenge US dominance. With the rise of South Korea from a developing country to the highly-developed country from the 90's to today, K-pop, the Korean beauty industry, Korean fashion, and Korean food is becoming mainstream. "Anime" and "weeabo" have become mainstream lexicon.

Smartphones have replaced the flip phones and sliders of the 00's to become common technology. People use smartphone cameras as mirrors to check their make-up now. "Selfie" is a mainstream word. Selfie sticks exist. Instagram exists.

Social media has gone from "new and revolutionary" in the 00's to "everyday life" in the 10's. Myspace disappeared. Twitter and Instagram arose. Meme culture took on a life of its own.

Reality TV went from being a new cultural phenomenon that people railed against to just being a normal thing that people take for granted.

Disney changed a lot. If the 90's were the Renaissance of hand-drawn animation, then the 00's were Pixar's Golden Age. The 10's are the first decade in which hand-drawn animation is all but dead, with Disney making its own computer-animated films without Pixar's help. The era of live-action remakes began.

The MCU became huge in the 10's.

Malls are on their last dying breath in the Western World by the 10's.

Video game arcades of the 80's and 90's became irrelevent with the continued rise of home consoles and online multiplayer in the 00's and 10's.

There's definitely distinctive slang in both the 00's (dope) and the 10's (poppin) to define them the same way "the bee's knees," "the cat's meow," "a gas," "funky," "far out," "stellar," "tubular," and "fly" all had their heydays.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,764 times
Have any subcultures emerged in the 2010s, after hipster and scene culture started in the 2000s? It's like there's been a stagnation in grassroots self-expression in the past several years. I'm not sure whether to blame the Internet or something else.
Quote:
In the 10's, the transition of hip-hop to the mainstream and its blending together with "vocal" pop music. It's much more common to see non-black artists making hip-hop or influenced by hip-hop than it was in the 00's. It's also much more common to see collaborations between hip-hop artists and artists of other other genres. In mainstream culture, hip-hop has become less of a distinctive genre as it was before the 10's and more of an "aspect" of mainstream pop.
I don't know if I agree with that entirely. 1990s and 2000s pop culture were deeply influenced by hiphop. Look at old 90s family movies and cartoons-- non-black (and black) suburban kids are wearing hoodies, baseball caps and other urban themed clothing, that popular rappers of the day would wear. Pop music was filled with hiphop-like samples and other references. It even spread to European electronica, with breakbeat, tons of hiphop samples and phrases. A good number of 90s ska and trip-hop groups/members were non-black. And in the 2000s nu-metal followed the lead of the 80s "Walk This Way" remake, and added record scratching DJs to their band.

I would say that in the 2010s hiphop has almost entirely separated its association with the black community. There's nothing noteworthy about a rapper or R&B singer who is white or non-black, when it was once controversial (in the 80s-90s) or at least considered a novelty (in the 2000s).

Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,111 times
Decade-unique style strikes me as cliche rather than universal reality. It’s decided after the fact and based on a small, stylish segment of people who lived then. Fact is, only some 50s people were “greasers,” only some 60s people were “hippies,” only some 70s people were disco clubbers, etc. They were isolated trends that got seized upon by the media, and many folks living during these decades had nothing to do with these lifestyles.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:48 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
I agree, the aughts almost seem non-distinctive compared to the 1960's-1990's.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
OMG. I agree. I call them Smith brothers beards and I think they look AWFUL on everyone. I have seen what are obviously good looking men with the shaved heads and those beards and they look awful. I don't know how women can ...ahem...mate with them. It should be stopped.
LOL. Those guys do look awful. Ugh, not a turn on for me whatsoever.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
I’m a hs teacher and my students, almost without exception, think that the 80’s must have been the coolest time to live ever. If you think about it, that was 35 years ago. I was there. No one in high school, and I mean no one, was listening to music from 1950 (35 years-old music).

I think what the OP has hit upon (way back in ‘12) is that our society and culture may be stagnating. Music, style, etc., is just a canary in the coal mine regarding more serious declines in and of our society. Or, who knows, maybe someone will invent cold fusion in the next six months and everything will rapidly change/advance again. Technology does seem to be moving forward steadily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts