Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone here gone "off the grid" when it comes to mass media?

By this I mean not reading the newspapers or magazines (tuning out politics and "the news"), dropping cable or dish and, in fact, not owning a TV or DVD player, not listening to radio,seeing very few if any movies.

Basically tuning out pop culture..news/politics, entertainment like Cable TV, pop music, movies, sports....

I've done this up to a point (still listen---sometimes--- to radio and old CDs---but have tuned out much of the news and pop culture), but was wondering if anyone else has went off-the-grid, so to speak (not sure if this is even the apprporiate forum for this)???
No TV, No DVDs, I've seen no new movies in 10 years or so, no TV news, no FM music, no buying music, no sports .... I must stop posting on CD and reading stuff, it takes too much time, internet in general must go, I don't think it improves my life at this point (or any point in the past), I'm not an internet addict but there are days I read too much CD, I could do much better things with that time.

Saying all of that, I just can't avoid info buzz anyway, it's everywhere, bits and pieces merge. You just can't avoid Kardashians and garbage like that unless you lock yourself in a bunker.

OK, I'm tuning out CD for a year or two (seriously, starting tonight, it's a perfect post for that), I'll cut internet use to the bill paying minimum and in one or two years I'll post how it feels, if I'll live that long. As it is I'm devoid of (new) mass cult as much as it's humanely possible without becoming a hermit. With minimum of internet exposure things and sense of general well being can only improve.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
Saying all of that, I just can't avoid info buzz anyway, it's everywhere, bits and pieces merge. You just can't avoid Kardashians and garbage like that unless you lock yourself in a bunker.

LOL so true! "the Kardashians" to me sounds like some alien race in one of those Star Trek TV series? I am vaguely aware they are some sort of celebrities, but couldnt tell you why or for what.

That "distant echo effect", again.

Quote:
I find that keeping up with news on the radio, newspapers and internet is very depressing. If I had not been aware of anything that had been reported in the news for the past two or three years it would not have made one single difference in my life. Therefore, I am seriously considering eschewing news in the future and just living my life without that negative, depressing influence.

For me some of the news is relevant, but in general I agree with 20yrs in Branson about depressing news and things political that I have no control over or affect on.... Thats one reason I've tuned it out...life is better without getting all ate up over the news.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
While I haven't dropped off the grid, I do avoid the talboid celebrity gossip and reality crap being spewed everywhere as best I can. Unfortunately, it is everywhere. Try going to any news site and not seeing headline news about Justin Bieber's latest haircut or Lady Gaga's newest scheme for attention. You will literally see breaking news on tensions in the Middle East right alongside Miley Cyrus twerking. I can't stand the celebrity obsessed culture we live in, but it's hard to avoid it when you here it on the radio, see it on every station, in the news, and it's the talk of the office.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
I do like keeping informed, so I'm a news hound. I do, however, think there's way too much emphasis on popular culture. Cripes, I can't even pick up a business magazine anymore without celebs featured on at least a couple of covers--they're everywhere. Even Jeopardy!, one of my favorite shows, has been dumbed-down and has the perfunctory celeb-themed categories on the first and second rounds.

To our detriment, we're slowly becoming a celebrity-obsessed and pop-culture society.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone here gone "off the grid" when it comes to mass media?

By this I mean not reading the newspapers or magazines (tuning out politics and "the news"), dropping cable or dish and, in fact, not owning a TV or DVD player, not listening to radio,seeing very few if any movies.

Basically tuning out pop culture..news/politics, entertainment like Cable TV, pop music, movies, sports....

I've done this up to a point (still listen---sometimes--- to radio and old CDs---but have tuned out much of the news and pop culture), but was wondering if anyone else has went off-the-grid, so to speak (not sure if this is even the apprporiate forum for this)???
I have done this to a point. I haven't had Cable TV in years and I don't actually watch my regular TV. I do think it's important to read the news online, although you have to realize it's all slanted / propagandized in some way or other and usually in multiple ways. I basically use my TV screen as my computer monitor and never actually watch real TV. I do watch DVDs, although even watching movies is becoming more difficult for me because I'm realizing there's a hidden agenda with just about everything they put on TV & in movies and music, including "G" rated children's shows.

I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube. I've been learning a lot about mind control programming and about how female celebrities like Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Madonna, Marilyn Monroe, Lady Gaga, et al are most likely victims of trauma based mind control. I'm also becoming much more aware of how mind control is used on us without our even realizing it:

Media Corruption Exposed: Predictive Programming = Mass Mind Control - YouTube

Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
To our detriment, we're slowly becoming a celebrity-obsessed and pop-culture society.
Yes, and unfortunately, this is done deliberately.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube. I've been learning a lot about mind control programming and about how female celebrities like Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Madonna, Marilyn Monroe, Lady Gaga, et al are most likely victims of trauma based mind control. I'm also becoming much more aware of how mind control is used on us without our even realizing it:
I don't know about mind control, but promises of fame and dollar bills can be pretty damn hypnotizing.

What people probably don't realize about most celebrities is they pretty much sell their souls for a few million dollars. Sure they have the Malibu mansions and a Ferrari or two but they don't have freedom; they can't walk out of their houses without being followed, mobbed, photographed, pointed at or otherwise noticed and they deal with a constant flow of stalkers and/or threats of violence, literally becoming "crazy person magnets".

And finally when people get tired of them, many celebrities end up doing degrading performances (like riding a wrecking ball naked in front of the camera, maybe?) get their names dragged through the mud and become the laughing stock of the entire country (if not the world)... and it's all the better if the "fallen" celebs have meltdowns, arrests, rehab stints, develop terminal weirdness and eventually squander their fortunes. People like to see celebrities fail...there is an awful lot of money to be made from that particular brand of pain and suffering!

Meanwhile, behind every Brittany Spears, Tom Cruise or Justin Bieber are the record and/or movie execs "selling" them. You probably can't name or point them out in a crowd either, and they are usually making far more money than the celebs are... in other words, enjoying the best of both worlds.

Strangely enough, celebrities are actually victims in this game and very few learn how to play the game of stardom successfully... and never without hefty negative consequences.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't know about mind control, but promises of fame and dollar bills can be pretty damn hypnotizing.

What people probably don't realize about most celebrities is they pretty much sell their souls for a few million dollars. Sure they have the Malibu mansions and a Ferrari or two but they don't have freedom; they can't walk out of their houses without being followed, mobbed, photographed, pointed at or otherwise noticed and they deal with a constant flow of stalkers and/or threats of violence, literally becoming "crazy person magnets".

And finally when people get tired of them, many celebrities end up doing degrading performances (like riding a wrecking ball naked in front of the camera, maybe?) get their names dragged through the mud and become the laughing stock of the entire country (if not the world)... and it's all the better if the "fallen" celebs have meltdowns, arrests, rehab stints, develop terminal weirdness and eventually squander their fortunes. People like to see celebrities fail...there is an awful lot of money to be made from that particular brand of pain and suffering!

Meanwhile, behind every Brittany Spears, Tom Cruise or Justin Bieber are the record and/or movie execs "selling" them. You probably can't name or point them out in a crowd either, and they are usually making far more money than the celebs are... in other words, enjoying the best of both worlds.

Strangely enough, celebrities are actually victims in this game and very few learn how to play the game of stardom successfully... and never without hefty negative consequences.
This is all completely true. It's just that it goes a lot deeper than this. Here is one example of how one celebrity, Katy Perry, is trying to break out of mind control programming (but not succeeding):

Katy Perry Wide Awake Illuminati (Analysis) - YouTube

Oh, and by the way, that part about selling their souls...it's literally true in many cases. The religion of the people of the top of the entertainment industry (and the other power pyramids of politics, finance, religion, etc.) is actually Satanic. Sounds crazy, I know. You don't have to believe in Satan. Just know that the people at the top of the power pyramid do, and that's who they worship.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times
There are times I would love to, but my wife is so sucked up into the culture, that I can never get away from it. I mean, the garbage that's out there just blows my mind.

I'd rather spend my nights with an old analog radio trying to tune in to faraway stations.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Outside of Netflix, I haven't watch TV in 8 wks. I get the occasional news alerts on my phone but I rarely read much past the initial alert msg. We just got tired of the BS.

Last edited by SVTRay; 09-12-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts