Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:01 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,821,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lmao.....what???

I have the wrong approach according to who??

Actually people like you just don't get it.
But that's ok-- because I really don't care what you watch.

This is a thread talking about degeneracy in tv film & music.
Oh & btw the Kardashian skanks are part of the problem.
And the actors I brought up (including from the old movies) are widely respected.
Look 'em up.

I never used to like Alec Baldwin, for instance.
He just annoyed the heck out of me.
Then I saw him in The Departed & was really impressed--
In spite of his scandalous rant against his daughter.

So talent always wins in my book.
I don't care about their shady pasts, their bad decisions etc.
They're flawed but they're geniuses.

The Kardashians are just skanks, though

I guess with actors it can be easier to support them if they have done awful things but it depends on how serious the actions are. Making a rant against a daughter can be excusable but rape/molestation is an entirely different story. Morgan Freeman must not have been that bad or else I would think they'd have more press about it..I never heard anything about it but I have heard over and over about Woody Allen. Sometimes the media loves to just write stores that aren't true believe me I know all about that but I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe the contrary.

Does it really matter though if they're skanks? People in general care too much about them which I find weird because if they really don't like them why are they so obsessed with them? I don't think I talk nearly that much about Taylor Swift and I can't stand her so I guess this isn't just about you saying this but people as a whole.
The saying is "live and let live" Unless they start abusing someone or going on a Mel Gibson esque rant I'm not worried about it.
That's what I mean about the wrong approach. The Kardashians are just annoying...hardly worth ditching TV in general for them. They're like those girls you would meet at an amusement park (I said amusement park because I like going to those) that you want to avoid but you wouldn't bother saying mean things to them or trying to leave because of them as you can simply walk away. Not to mention they probably know they are skanks and don't have much of a talent. They want you to hate them so you're giving them what they want.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-14-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,398,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Movies are better than they've ever been thanks to technology. While the '90s was the golden age of Sitcoms, there are still some good ones like Big Bang Theory on the air today.
IMO, the golden age of sitcoms was the 1960s and 1970s. Definitely not the 1990s.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM

551 posts, read 585,294 times
The Golden Age of American society was the middle of the last century. I am not sure when exactly it ended, but it is long gone. And it took with work ethic, decency, modesty, humility, faith in humanity, and all the good things our country was built on. Today's "stars" lack not only those values and a certain wholesomeness, but most lack charisma and talent as well. I can barely stand to watch TV- in fact I don't have a set, although if I'm visiting family or elsewhere I'll catch some shows. I can't believe what passes for humor and clever story telling nowadays, it's basically all gratuitous violence and nudity/sex and swearing. The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show, the meth show (can't remember the name LOL) was terrible, all the violence and vampires and gore shows are sick, reality TV is by and large, terrible and disgusting. The bubble has to burst on this awfulness, this can't possibly be a trend...right? If it is, it portends very bad things for the future of society, I will say.

Movies are even worse. Blatant money grabbing: constant re-makes of comics movies (some just a few years old, come on, do we really need a new Batman? Nolan's was very good! Why else touch this stuff?), never ending "sequels," with the quantity of all this garbage the quality is significantly declining. Avatar is a pile of garbage, Avengers and friends are getting stale and overdone, Star Wars- again? Just sick of it all.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:00 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,850,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
The Golden Age of American society was the middle of the last century. I am not sure when exactly it ended, but it is long gone. And it took with work ethic, decency, modesty, humility, faith in humanity, and all the good things our country was built on. Today's "stars" lack not only those values and a certain wholesomeness, but most lack charisma and talent as well. I can barely stand to watch TV- in fact I don't have a set, although if I'm visiting family or elsewhere I'll catch some shows. I can't believe what passes for humor and clever story telling nowadays, it's basically all gratuitous violence and nudity/sex and swearing. The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show, the meth show (can't remember the name LOL) was terrible, all the violence and vampires and gore shows are sick, reality TV is by and large, terrible and disgusting. The bubble has to burst on this awfulness, this can't possibly be a trend...right? If it is, it portends very bad things for the future of society, I will say.

Movies are even worse. Blatant money grabbing: constant re-makes of comics movies (some just a few years old, come on, do we really need a new Batman? Nolan's was very good! Why else touch this stuff?), never ending "sequels," with the quantity of all this garbage the quality is significantly declining. Avatar is a pile of garbage, Avengers and friends are getting stale and overdone, Star Wars- again? Just sick of it all.
Then go curl up with a good book, and roll down a long cliff.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 AM

15,566 posts, read 10,572,423 times
"Today the question is asked, why has American music, film and television declined so much, and so fast within the past several years? Is this deterioration a sign of what we have become, and where we are headed as a nation?"

The past several years? I stopped watching television in 2010, just went cold turkey. Only recently have I started watching again. I found myself longing for some entertainment and perhaps a little escape. It wasn't so much the sex and violence that I disliked, it was the lack of creativity. And, it was the ignorance, it all seemed so darn stupid. Prior to quitting, the last series I looked forward to was 24, before that the X Files. Now that I'm a viewer again, I'm finding a couple of shows that look promising. Most of it still sucks, but I trust I'll find something. As far as the cinema or movies, I don't go. The last one was some George Clooney movie, I can't even tell you the name. They are a total rip off. Music? I listen to whatever my kids have on. I figure that's better than me trying to relive my youth. To answer your question, is it a sign of what we have become? I'd say it is. Where are we headed? I don't know, we can't go any further down and I don't see us going up. We might just become stagnant.

Last edited by elan; 11-29-2015 at 02:00 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 04:21 PM

7,581 posts, read 5,352,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The general agenda of the media elites is to accrue more power and control over the populace and how they think.
Which is a strange observation considering the total demise of studio hegemony over film production. Film makers live in a time where producing an independent film has never been easier or less expensive and with outlets like HBO, NetFlix, Showtime, and film festivals like Sundance get work out to the people have never been as easier.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,180,342 times
Since the creation of this thread, I feel that fields of entertainment stated originally, has gotten a better, although there is still more to be done.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-28-2017 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: signatures are not allowed

Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM

10,384 posts, read 8,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Which is a strange observation considering the total demise of studio hegemony over film production. Film makers live in a time where producing an independent film has never been easier or less expensive and with outlets like HBO, NetFlix, Showtime, and film festivals like Sundance get work out to the people have never been as easier.
Plus streaming and DVDs make old stuff as well as new stuff much easier to find and watch. There's never been a better time to be a cinemaphile! THIS is the Golden Age of movies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts