Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Maybe it's a natural cycle humans feel?

Seriously though, 2005 is exactly the same as anything back to about 95. No one could ever say the same thing about 1985 compared to 1995. Totes magotes.
Very true, I was 5 in 1995 and 15 in 2005 and I remember thinking "geez, pop culture hasn't changed in the whole time I've been old enough to remember things!" Then the late 2000s happened and things did change, but I still think it's a lesser change than typical of most decades. The cultural difference between 1995 and 2015 is probably only as large as the difference between 1985 and 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Wait...the 90's are over?? That means I am really, REALLY old!!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
My last intern was born in 1993. When she said it I was like "ugh I was 10 years old in 93" and i felt like it was a long time because I was 10 a long time ago. Our current intern was born in 1998 when she said that I was like "what! 98? how are you even walking! 98 was JUST yesterday"

Perspective
I have a grand-child that was born in 1998. I have a very hard time accepting that he will be a senior in high school later this year.

OP - it may feel like a quarter century is a large amount of time, but, I suspect that once you hit a half century or more, it won't feel quite the same.

It is all about perspective.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
Yeah, no. I guarantee that in 20 years when you're 45 and you hear that someone was born in 2014, you're going to feel like that just happened. You know how they say time flies? It does. Most people feel like high school drags on forever, then college is slightly shorter, then it just takes off. Think about how long four years used to feel when you were in eighth grade and how fast it went by since you graduated college. Get the picture now?

Using pop culture as a reference, it's sort of amazing to see old reruns of Seinfeld and realize that show is like a quarter century old.
^^^Completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think it's because today still has sort of a similar pop culture to the last couple years of the '90s?

I guess another thing is the fashion in the '70s and '80s was really bizarre, so the '90s seems quite normal and modern in comparison to those decades. Though actually the '90s had a lot more cheesy and weird stuff than people give it credit for.
I'm 25 and I keep thinking the '90s was ten years ago. I think pointing at a fashion trend from the '80s or '70s and saying "That's strange, I can't see how that's beautiful," probably shows you don't feel any connection with it. (Nothing wrong with that btw I'm like that too)

If you live through a decade and experience the gradual changes, know what symbols or styles mean, remember their context it won't seem so ridiculous to you. The further you move away from a time, the greater the changes since, the more dated things can become.

I don't have a very, very deep sense of nostalgia for the 90s yet because it doesn't feel that long ago to me. I have a big feeling that in twenty or so years I'll feel more nostalgic for our present time (being in my twenties now, starting out, first studio apartment, etc) because I'll probably have more memorable experiences than being a kid with school and Disney movies.

People might still think the 90s are "new" because they've lived longer and comparatively (for them) it is.

idk I'm just guessing here

Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UplandsAiry View Post
^^^Completely agree.

I'm 25 and I keep thinking the '90s was ten years ago. I think pointing at a fashion trend from the '80s or '70s and saying "That's strange, I can't see how that's beautiful," probably shows you don't feel any connection with it. (Nothing wrong with that btw I'm like that too)

If you live through a decade and experience the gradual changes, know what symbols or styles mean, remember their context it won't seem so ridiculous to you. The further you move away from a time, the greater the changes since, the more dated things can become.

I don't have a very, very deep sense of nostalgia for the 90s yet because it doesn't feel that long ago to me. I have a big feeling that in twenty or so years I'll feel more nostalgic for our present time (being in my twenties now, starting out, first studio apartment, etc) because I'll probably have more memorable experiences than being a kid with school and Disney movies.

People might still think the 90s are "new" because they've lived longer and comparatively (for them) it is.

idk I'm just guessing here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
And most people now days don't even know who Prince or "the artist formerly known as Prince" was.

I knew I was getting older when I was the only one in the room who knew who Prince was, and this was in 2004. I was in shock LOL, then I remembered most of them were babies or had not been born yet when Prince was popular.
I remember he was on Muppets Tonight after renouncing his name, everyone used a sign with his logo to get his attention. Gonzo was going; "excuse me, Prin- uhh [holds up sign], its time for...," I thought that was funny.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
The last 10-15 years have gone by in the blink of an eye.. time goes by fast and life is short and the 90's rocked....

Old 01-10-2015, 01:46 PM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
The 90's were the end imo. I can even pinpoint it to 1994 as the rollover change point. From 1995 on, things became pretty much as they are now. 1994 was the end of the late 70's and 80's era (imo the best entertainment and tech wise).suc 1995 was a horrid year followed by each cessive horrid year.

I often feel like I am the luckiest age. I was 18 in 1991.

Money Post.

I was born in 75 so the 90s were my high school/college years. Gas was cheap, we weren't worried about terrorism and the economy was relatively stable. From an entertainment standpoint I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons of the RealWorld (NYC-LA-SF). Every Thursday night I never missed an episode of Martin-Living Single-NY Undercover. Musically (hip hop head) producers were alot more innovative or not as afraid to take risks as they are today. Jay-Z, Big & Nas were bringing the East Coast back after Death Row had it on lock. Furthermore I even liked some of the alternative acts back then Nirvana, STP, & Radiohead to name a few. I agree wholeheartedly about 95...That was the year of the trial of the century (OJ). After that things became alot more sensationalized than they needed to be. From a race relations standpoint that was the start of the big shift that you see today. I'm biracial and lost a good group of friends becuase of how things all played out. If I blink my eyes I can still see it all.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 AM

24 posts, read 92,850 times
Yeah OP I agree people always act like the 90's was so recently but it started 25 years ago and ended going on 16 years ago. I don't get everyone saying it's about perspective either. If someone is lets say 70 years old then they were 20 50 years ago. But I highly doubt they think of a half a century as just yesterday. And I don't remember anyone acting like the 80's wasn't along time ago in 2005. I'm 24 and I remember the 80's were seen as ancient and dated by the late 90's. The 90's especially the early 90's is incredibly dated looking. I'm sure the 50's seemed really old by 75 and the 60's by 85. When they did the Saved By the Bell reunion on the Tonight Show the clothes and huge cell phones from the time period the show was on (89-93) looked cartoonish. And in 15-20 years I'm probably going to think of the 2010's as being dated, I already think of the early to mid 2000's that way.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Every generation ages, and when you get to a certain age, the years begin to merge with one another, and you find yourself surprised by how quickly time advances. Even at 27, things seem to go by a lot quicker than they did just 10 years ago. I mean, we're already nearly in March - at the halfway point of another decade. 2015 felt like such a long way away when I was a kid. It's still weird that we're here. In fact, I was certain that we would have flying cars by now.

As for the cultural aspect - well, this is generational too. People who came of age in the 90s think the 90s were the bees knees as far as music is concerned, but I was only a child then so I can't appreciate the music really. In fact, the only aspect of 90s music I like is mid-late 90s trance music. I don't really care for rock or whatever. Likewise, I have an uncle who came of age in the the late 70s and he thinks music went 'funny' after 1985. My mother came of age in the early 80s and the 80s were definitely 'her' decade (by the time the 90s rolled around she was losing interest in pop culture, like I did as well by the time the 2010s rolled around). It's all relative.

The early 2000s seem like quite a long time ago to me now anyway. Even 2005 is a decade old now. Sheesh.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 02-20-2015 at 03:13 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
The Beatles only lasted eight years as a functional recording group.

Radiohead is going on 24 years since "Creep". And they've actually been together since 1985... 30 years. Yet to most people 50+, they're still "new".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts